Professional Drummers Alert - The bar has been set

I just hope the poor guy doesn't read this thread.He does have some skill,but obviously someone told him he was really good,and that person needs a slap.Its almost like watching American Idol auditions when a contestants family tells someone they can sing,but its sounds like cats in heat,

Steve B

People who need to tear down others to support themselves are a sorry lot indeed. That numa_cruiser would make an entire thread in some lame attempt to make fun of a stranger is much more an indictment of his own personality than it is of this gentleman's drumming.

Hey now, this guy is putting himself out there to be evaluated and hired, or not hired. The purpose of the videos are for the general seeking public to scrutinize. I've seen much harsher comments on many threads here from prominent posters.

Hey now, this guy is putting himself out there to be evaluated and hired, or not hired. The purpose of the videos are for the general seeking public to scrutinize. I've seen much harsher comments on many threads here from prominent posters.
It is a Craigslist ad.
Of course the guy sucks!
Craigs sucks period!

Who let this guy buy some of Ray's drums? That's what I want to know.

So....I'm covered, right?

You are comfortably positioned on that fence, sir.....with little chance of a fall in either direction. ;-)

Come on guys, it was an obvious joke. Are those offended by it really gonna tell me you've never had a giggle at some of the less than stellar performances on American idol et al? Never had the slightest chuckle at someone else's misfortune? Turn it up!

Delusions of adequacy form some of life's funniest situations. There are many in the entertainment industry that make entire careers off highlighting it. :)

You are comfortably positioned on that fence, sir.....with little chance of a fall in either direction. ;-)

Come on guys, it was an obvious joke. Are those offended by it really gonna tell me you've never had a giggle at some of the less than stellar performances on American idol et al? Never had the slightest chuckle at someone else's misfortune? Turn it up!

Delusions of adequacy form some of life's funniest situations. There are many in the entertainment industry that make entire careers off highlighting it. :)

The above post is well put and emulates my entire purpose for posting. I found the incongruence between statements made in his ad vs. his abilities to be humerous. As I read the ad I was actually excited to hear something good from someone local. The surprise brightened my evening.

Delusions of adequacy............now that's funny, and precisely why I stay out of the "your playing" forum.

Delusions of adequacy............now that's funny, and precisely why I stay out of the "your playing" forum.

You don't have to be "adequate" to post there IMO, Jon E, you only need to be confident that some people will enjoy the music. Do you enjoy the music you make? If so, chances are that some others will too.

In my experience most musos are like laypersons in that, if they enjoy the music, they don't much worry about the technicalities.

As for the guy's ad and vid, I agree with everyone (except for PFOG, because ... well, just because :)

4 albums / many tours and countless gigs and I have ZERO desire to post either. It would have to be in a studio professionally done and even then I would have to have my arm twisted to do so. The only way to see my playing is to catch a live show...period. bahahahaha

I give alot of credit to those who put themselves out there.

I'm convinced there are three types of people who post in "Your Playing": the talented, the brave and the delusional

You forgot one group, old bean - the "Why not?" group. I've posted jams, rehearsals, demos. It's great to get a handle on other drummers' views. That way, any delusions are quickly dispelled.

Logic suggests that posting your playing is a win-win. If other people see issues with my playing then I learn something. If they like the music, then I fulfill my function as a musician - to make people's ears happy.

The only risk I can see is if your delusions of grandeur give you enough confidence to be adequate, despite major flaws in technique. Confidence is super important is music and, especially in drumming and singing (IMO) so a smackdown mightn't be helpful.

Is that why people are nervous about posting their stuff? That they fear their balloon of confidence will be pricked?

Seems to me that many of the people who post in Your Playing don't chat in the forum generally and most of the people active in discussions don't post their playing. I like to hear how people I chat with play - it's like seeing the face behind the name.

Last edited:
I've posted my playing on there and I chat on the forum ,
I know I'm not good I just thought other people might like to see who they are talking to .
If you do watch me be forewarned do not expect much !

That guy said he played from 8.15 am to 1.15 pm , I'm sorry that would be like forcing people to watch me for that long , they would want to throttle me after about ten minutes .

Back