Matched pairs of microphones

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Are matched pairs of microphones meant to be 1 brighter and 1 darker, or both equal in response, or something else? I have a matched pair of Rode NT5's and they both sound different when plugged into the same cable.

Larry, if you can hear a difference, they aren't matched at all. Two good examples of a mic should sound essentially the same. A matched pair should just about null out. That is if you switch the polarity of one and combine it with the other, the difference that comes out should be minimal.

With the better companies (higher quality products, higher prices) you can grab any 2 microphones of the same model and there's likely hardly any perceivable sound difference (due to lower component tolerance and higher overall production quality). And they should be quite identical if they're offered as a matched pair. With cheaper microphones the sound variation across individual microphones of the same model will be much more apparent.

Are matched pairs of microphones meant to be 1 brighter and 1 darker, or both equal in response, or something else? I have a matched pair of Rode NT5's and they both sound different when plugged into the same cable.
Straight answer Larry, they shouldn't. I have a "matched" pair of NT5's too, & they're the same (or at least, within the scope of my hearing ability).

Back