To Let or not to let..another dummer use your kit on a gig.

Rule 1 - Never!

Rule 2 - refer to rule one

Would any other musician let someone use their instrument? I don't think so.....

^ This.

I would sooner let someone borrow my wife before using my drums! (Don't get any ideas)

I am OK with kit sharing as long as it's not my kit! I play a lot of gigs where the kit is provided, and drummers bring their own cymbals/snare etc. All venues should have a house kit for this sort of thing! It should be the law :)

I do think there's a responsibility to play respectfully if you are indeed using someone else's kit (including a house kit). The fact that some don't is the source of the problem.

Would any other musician let someone use their instrument? I don't think so.....

I would.......done it many times before without incident. But always under the disclaimer that I know you, someone I trust knows you or I know your reputation. If I'm confident that you can play and won't rape my instrument......feel free. Have a blast.

If not, refer to Rule 1. :)

Wow...am I being a jerk here or unprofessional?

In this particular instance, you're being a bloody saint.

I have our bass players son filling in for me on a gig and his set is not in the best condition, I have decided to let him use my rack, my spare snare (wich is much better then his main one) and my china cymbal. I was gonna let him use my whole set until watching him when he came to practice one day..he broke the tip off a stick and finished the song rather then grab a new one. I have a holster with a dozen sticks on my hihat stand. When the song was done the snare head was all marked up.. I really dont like anyone playing my set.

Mmmm, there is rarely a gig I ever play that doesn't involve 'sharing' a kit. The general rule is the headline act or the 'house' provide the shells and stands, you bring 'breakables' - snare, cymbals, pedals, sticks.
In the UK, this is exactly how gigs are done...

Especially at my local (www.grandcentralmanchester.com) the bands playing are reputable metal/rock bands and abuse is not tolerated (but doesn't happen.).

I was in a band years ago and my then (pretty immature) bassist kept telling the organiser we'd use my kit. I had to tell him "get them to contact me or we don't use it"
After 3 it happeneing 3 times I left.

Regrettingly the level of professionalism you are dealing with or have dealt with is at a very low level. I have been in your shoes but not to the extent you have had to deal with. Most of the drummers I deal with are older and have been playing for many years and I am sure expeienced similar situations thus the respect for other's equipment comes into to play. It is most definitely a maturity, professionalism and respect issue (no matter what their ages may be). If I will be using someone elses kit I will "ALWAYS" speak with them prior to the gig, and in the same token, unless I have spoken to the drummer who would be using my kit I will not let him use it unless we have spoken. This gear is way to expensive to disrespect, I can only imagine what condition there gear/kit is in. I am very, very anal about keeping all my gear in pristine condition, and treating others the same. Good thread...

Another comment... do NOT let your guitar player mess with YOUR set! If he has no clue how to play.. say "Hey! Back off of the set!.. or else!" This KID broke my BD chain! Had to put in a special order for the part! also screwd my nice Powerstroke Black Suade snare head up! it looks like the surface of the moon!! Craters and scratches :( soo sad. At least he didn't scratch my Slingerland! i would sue him!!!!! And theres no way anyones touching my sets ever again....

I thought I should check in and give an update. The gig is tonight. After talking to my band mates and being informed of venue size, time and especially that the drums will mic'ed, I thought it best to reach out to the other drummer and politley ask him to be careful with adjustments and to at least let him know how I feel drummer to drummer, that it wasn't personal and perhaps I had a knee jerk reaction instead of thinking it through. We're both world music bands so it's not like this guy is gonna bash the kit like before at a rock benefit. I checked him out on Facebook and he's real pro, and was super understanding about it all.

I guess at the end of the day, it's about looking at the bigger picture, being professional, and realizing your in band, and the decisions one makes can affect the whole band good or bad....

Sounds like the whole thing would have been avoided if the guitarist didn't stick his foot in his mouth and left it to you guys to sort out. I'm glad you're at a level you can agree with without feeling like you lost any integrity. Best of luck at the show tonight, give us an update on how it goes.

FYI was at a show last night that had like 45 minutes (in the dark) between the opening act and the headliner. I get some looks for watching NASCAR for anything other than the crashes this far north, but if you approach the kit like a pit crew no one will notice if you can keep your stuff around 5 minutes. You can ask your bassist who's concerned to do some trial runs with you if you want to put him at ease for future events where the other drummers are not so considerate.

Sounds like you got an OK guy this time. Box of chocolates.

This was almost always the case when I played with a rock band last year.

I was asked a few times to play another drummer's kit--something I'm always hesistant to do. Unlike most of the examples here, I'm reluctant to move much of anything or hit hard. A worse scenario is having others play my kit. I've had busted heads before from kids that thought playing like Animal is cool. And like you experienced, no apology.

I was also asked (or was going to be asked rather) to use my kit for a festival last year. I had prepared a "rental agreement" to compensate me for use of my kit. Luckily, I never had to use it. That particular promoter wasn't very honest.

This is why I'm all too happy to be playing jazz nowadays. No young punks to bash away on your kit should you have to share it. Recently, I was asked to play someone else kit at a gig. I made a point to seek out the drummer and introduce myself before even approaching the kit. Luckily, he was very accommodating and said to make any adjustments I needed to.

This is apparently very rare. If you ever have to use someone else's kit, at least do the drummer a courtesy and introduce yourself.

re: setup time between bands: if each drummer would "pre-set" the kit offstage first, changeover times would be greatly reduced. The only times this wouldn't work is if it's a tiny place with no side/backstage room to do this, or metalfest nights where every drummer has a bajillion drums & cymbals. Speaking from experience here, both as a player and as a sound/stage tech at a (now defunct) major east coast venue.

Looks like things worked out, but, when has a guitar player from an OPENING BAND EVER dictated what the drummer in the headline band will do?

Personally, I'd have a serious talk with your band/booking person and state in no uncertain terms that this is YOUR INSTRUMENT, and it is NOT professional of anyone to demand to use it, or have them tell your band mates to "make you" let them use it for ANY reason. Period.
This really pi$$es me off.

I hope the person was at least appreciative of YOUR EFFORTS in making things go smoothly.
Maybe next time, all the other bands should chip in and rent a kit and see how they feel about it then. You'd probably get a "why?"....

My band usually does something every year where it's a gig party, and a bunch of bands play.
My kit is used, which has been fine because I usually know everyone, & it's usually always a real good time too.

BUT I have the booking person MAKE SURE the other drummers know, and that it's clear they MUST bring their own cymbals, snare drum and pedals.
If they forget their stuff, they don't play. So far it's been good.

Heads or sticks can be taken care of easily (I bring spares), cymbals, not so much.
My rug is marked for my placements so people can put things where they want, and I can plop it all back in a minute.
My kit for a show is a little different, so the extra stuff I use, I just put to the side until we play.

I hope things go better for you in the future--and you were in no way unprofessional handling the situation in the first place IMO.
As PFOF said "In this particular instance, you're being a bloody saint."

Cheers!

Back