Am I aiming too high? I'm a beginner

robbieast

so im a beginner drummer that knows some basic beats and fills, and im basically imitating covers on youtube to learn how to play songs. i haven't read much on the fundamentals. i just go with what i hear and imitate it.

im trying to learn this song as my first cover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wICV-OedB4

and i got pretty much the first minute down, but a lot of the things i can't even tell what is being hit, and im getting frustrated. i can do certain sections seperately, but transitioning to each part i cannot do smoothly.

please give me advice on how to progress

is this song a little to advanced for a beginner? should i start somewhere easier. i wanna learn pop-punk drumming. also wouldnt mind learning jazz, funk, and hip hop
thanks!

Re: am i aiming too high? im a beginner

As a "beginner" of 2 years myself I would say yes, this is too much to expect to play. I am always cautious to give advice as I know there are others here that are much more qualified to do so but here are the few things I would tell you....

First, stop trying to copy the song lick for lick...you'll drive yourself crazy. A lot of times what you hear on a recording wasn't done with just one track so it's possible what your are hearing is a drummer who has laid down two or more tracks to get that sound. Even if that's not the case, as a beginner you shouldn't be trying to exactly copy a song, including all of the fills etc. Start by just seeing if you can keep a steady beat throughout the song without the fills. The more inticate stuff will come later.

Secondly, as a beginner, you need to step back and learn some of the fundamentals and rudiments. You need to learn what basic rock, jazz, blues and other beats actually are and how to play them properly including counts, etc. From there you can learn how to incorporate simple fills and how to transition in and out of them smoothly.

Thirdly, get off the kit, onto a practice pad and practice rudiments and beats to a metronome. I know, it sounds boring and you want to be behind that kit but you have to crawl before you can walk so to speak. You can still play around on the kit and learn how to apply those fundamentals to the kit as you learn them, even play along to songs for fun when you have time....but you must start with the basics. Unfortunately, there is no shortcut to being a good drummer.

Lastly, get a teacher! Someone who can show you proper technique and rudiments one on one and who can answer your questions as you have them. There really is not substitute for in-person lessons.

I hope this wasn't too much and didn't sound to harsh but in the not to distant past, I've been exactly where you are and know that learning properly from the start is the only way to go.

Good luck and happy drumming! Let us know how you are doing as you progress!

MaryO

wow thanks for the insight. im just really excited now that i got my drum set for xmas, and wanted to get to playing songs ASAP.

but ya, you're right, i think its better i take things slow and learn the basics, as it will build the foundation i need to learn the more advanced things.

I would say try to play it, but as far as doing covers start with something easier. Don't limit yourself in practicing, but realize that once it is out there you are letting people see your good and bad. You may not notice mistakes like more experienced drummers will. There are far too many covers on YouTube of drummers playing something way above your level. Build up to it, but you can take your time getting these covers out. Its better to wait a while and be safe that hurry up to make something and be sorry.

Good luck though! Enjoy the drums and practice, practice, practice.

You have to crawl before you can walk.

Playing drums seems simple at first.The very basics usually come easily.

I've said this hundreds of times.It's easy to play drums,but it's difficult to play them well.

It takes lots of time, sweat and dedication to be able to be able to play on a professional level.

There are no short cuts.No magic answers or pills.

If you want to be good at this......you have to put in the time.You have to listen,instead of thinking you know all the answers.

Get a good teacher,learn all you can learn,from every place you can,.....and burn.Drums are a big part of what makes all that great music happen.

Steve B

all great points made. with the new year coming im going to make it a point to get better at drumming. gonna be a rocky start, but any progress will make me happy.

will being able to cover the more advanced songs come naturally in time? i mean the drums in the music i listen to can be so fast sometimes, it's hard to make out what the person did.

Good advice.

Playing along to tracks gives a really false sense of what you can do. Recording yourself will show up every flaw and is a must for all musicians.

If you just want to be a hacker then carry on. But if you want to get good on the drums then you are in for years and years of study. Don't think the study is a grind. Study is fun too, but if you miss it out then your progress will be limited.

Cheers
Davo

Completely agree with Davo-London. Although I am a new member, I have recently done basic recordings of myself and I so many 'mistakes' (things to improve upon) that I cannot believe it.

Hi Robbieast, Welcome to the world of drumming.
My mantra has always been "enjoy what you are doing". I never turn my drumming into a chore.
For me, probably not others, formal learning and getting on the practice pad, is a chore, whereas playing the drums is a joy.
If your personality lends itself to formal learning then that is the way to go. If you feel more comfortable finding your own way, making and rectifying what you consider to be mistakes or faults, then do it that way.
There are lots of ways to learn to play the drums. Do what you enjoy.

Absolutely not. The first thing that we teach to our students here at the HQ is that you need to have a vision for your music.

If you want to be a professional drummer, then that is the mindset that you carry, and that is how you conduct your practice. If you just want to be a hobby drummer, then chances are you are are going to treat it like a hobby.

The key is to unlock YOUR full potential. The worst thing that you can do is compare yourself to other musicians. (Not saying that you do that, but just in general)

Wake up everyday and focus on your vision. Then take one step closer to that vision everyday! You will find that you will see vast improvement fairly quickly!

-Derek

Errrr....Flight. That was my opinion, and I assume the above is your opinion. Nothing more nothing less.

I am not a hobby drummer, I have been in bands for decades, and make a living at it. Never had a lesson, not cos I am big and clever but because I was not interested. Never use a practice pad. I have 3 kits, I don't need to use a pad.

I dont know why you assume there is only one way to be a "good" drummer. If you aspire to be a session drummer then yes, you will have to learn the "Industry" way of doing things. If you aspire to be in a rock and roll band it is not a pre requisite. Being inventive and different is.

Errrr....Flight. That was my opinion, and I assume the above is your opinion. Nothing more nothing less.

I am not a hobby drummer, I have been in bands for decades, and make a living at it. Never had a lesson, not cos I am big and clever but because I was not interested. Never use a practice pad. I have 3 kits, I don't need to use a pad.

I dont know why you assume there is only one way to be a "good" drummer. If you aspire to be a session drummer then yes, you will have to learn the "Industry" way of doing things. If you aspire to be in a rock and roll band it is not a pre requisite. Being inventive and different is.

I am confused as to what you mean? I wasn't saying anything rude, just encouraging.
Cheers man!

-Derek

I was simply saying that if you want to be a professional drummer, then you CAN!

If you want to be a hobby drummer then you CAN!

If you want to be a session drummer then you CAN!

My point wasn't saying that being a pro is the only way. My point was that whatever it is that you want to be, YOU CAN DO IT!

Have a vision for whatever level of drumming you want your career to go to. Then you will get there!

Maybe that explains it better

-Derek

Pick out a variety of tunes, some easy, some in the middle and some difficult and play along with all of them. Try to do something with all of them even if you can't play everything you hear. Developing good time is everything. I like to practice where I have some fun and do some serious work, all mixed together in my practice session.

Absolutely not. The first thing that we teach to our students here at the HQ is that you need to have a vision for your music.

If you want to be a professional drummer, then that is the mindset that you carry, and that is how you conduct your practice. If you just want to be a hobby drummer, then chances are you are are going to treat it like a hobby.

The key is to unlock YOUR full potential. The worst thing that you can do is compare yourself to other musicians. (Not saying that you do that, but just in general)

Wake up everyday and focus on your vision. Then take one step closer to that vision everyday! You will find that you will see vast improvement fairly quickly!

-Derek

Apologies Flight. I presumed the "Absolutely not" in your post was aimed at my post above it.

Back