The jazz ride pattern

Maybe he is referring to the different classifications/periods of jazz? Out of curiosity, were these albums considered post bop jazz?

Maybe he is referring to the different classifications/periods of jazz? Out of curiosity, were these albums considered post bop jazz?

be bop was gone pretty much in the mid 50s ... pieces of it lingered on and it's vocabulary stayed a common thread through the 60s

but all the nomenclature ... post bop... hard bop ... I'm not much for all of that

these records were just Miles ... many of them changed everything

and a ton of that had to do with Tony Williams

listen to Miles In The Sky ... listen to Sorcerer ... Tony had flipped the script and was absolutely changing the game

none of these records have anything to do with be bop ... be it post or any other

Miles got as far from bebop as he could after leaving Birds quintet

Thanks for the info YouIs...

Not just to mindlessly quote everything Ive read and everyones comments, but from my listening experience, it seems Tony did in fact come in and flip the script as you say. To me this is only possible on a truly meaningful level if youve spent the time learning, perhaps verbatim, what the guys before you have done. Once that is fully understood and digested, then from that you can build....and build Tony did!! Its lame of me to say, but it makes listening to other guys a lil boring at times. Tony has done for me with jazz what Vinnie did to me with rock/jazz/whatever. But I find the other guys can be amazing in other ways that Ill mature to enjoy more. Like with my early rock thing I needed fireworks then learned to love the beauty in a Jim Gordon track. Now Im digging the freakishness of Tony, but I can already see how Ill get into the groove of Art, and the layered deep playing, with to me one of the prettiest rides Elvin, etc. At 44 I feel Ive only scratched the surface with this stuff and its so exhilarating...and turns me a huge dork. It all started when I was a very young child being taken to see The Pink Panther and that music got in my soul. Love this stuff....sorry for the rant

Thanks for the info YouIs...

Not just to mindlessly quote everything Ive read and everyones comments, but from my listening experience, it seems Tony did in fact come in and flip the script as you say. To me this is only possible on a truly meaningful level if youve spent the time learning, perhaps verbatim, what the guys before you have done. Once that is fully understood and digested, then from that you can build....and build Tony did!! Its lame of me to say, but it makes listening to other guys a lil boring at times. Tony has done for me with jazz what Vinnie did to me with rock/jazz/whatever. But I find the other guys can be amazing in other ways that Ill mature to enjoy more. Like with my early rock thing I needed fireworks then learned to love the beauty in a Jim Gordon track. Now Im digging the freakishness of Tony, but I can already see how Ill get into the groove of Art, and the layered deep playing, with to me one of the prettiest rides Elvin, etc. At 44 I feel Ive only scratched the surface with this stuff and its so exhilarating...and turns me a huge dork. It all started when I was a very young child being taken to see The Pink Panther and that music got in my soul. Love this stuff....sorry for the rant

you are correct ...

for example ... Tony just absolutely loved and adored Max ...

he spent years of his life learning every note Max played ...

he then decided that he would never play something in his own expressions that Max would have played ...

that is how Tony became Tony

emulate... assimilate ... innovate

what part of what they played wasn't jazz?

I'm curious

Seven Steps, ESP, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles In The Sky, Filles de Kilimanjaro ?.... which one ...

every one of those is 100% a jazz record

I was being facetious.

I was responding to the earlier assertion that what was played in the high school jazz band could not possibly be jazz because it was straight and not swung. Of course, the Second Great Quartet played many songs that were straight and not swung. Therefore, going by the original posters previous assertion, it was not jazz. Which, obviously, is simply not true.

I was being facetious.

I was responding to the earlier assertion that what was played in the high school jazz band could not possibly be jazz because it was straight and not swung. Of course, the Second Great Quartet played many songs that were straight and not swung. Therefore, going by the original posters previous assertion, it was not jazz. Which, obviously, is simply not true.

went over my head

apologies

In the examples shown above, what a difference in style between Tommy Igoe, fingers, and will Kennedy, no fingers at all. Fingers and controlling the bounce is fantastic.

I liked how Elvin Jones would propel the swing feel with an emphasis on the "a"' of 2&4.
Jeff Hamilton's approach here is really nice... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hxCJ5O_tdo

I like that video too. Watched it a bunch. I like John Riley's where he "sort of" throws and catches (with fingers) nice too. Watching Art Blakey on Moanin' looks like does that sort of thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOoxgI_xfQ

The way he holds his snare hand I don't see how he gets such power and good licks??? I've watched this a million times in my Moanin' journey-mainly watching his ride hand. The first week I though this is easy I got it. The more I studied and worked on it seems like I was going backwards and now progressing again. Watching him really helps me (trying to pick it out at first just listening was giving me a fit)-I love watching him drum. He loves it!! Papa Jones the same. I guess if I was that good I'd be smiling too ;)

Here you go Larry a cautionary tale with Moanin'. This is a great exercise-thanks Who'sTony. This was one at the beginning so it looks easy at first and I'm "Ok", but keeping that steady spangalang is hard-you see I get off quite bit and get lost in less than two minutes, then my time waivers in this too. It's deceptively difficult at first-I probably still suck at it. I've adding hi hats to it already (that helps with time), and trying the little kick (which is really difficult for me), but the snare part will take me a bit-hell a long time. I think I've picked this to death myself but if you notice anything else to help I'd appreciate it. Besides it's painful-moaning. Yeah I know my grip need a lot of work and actively seeking to fix that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4tXiZbmHH8&feature=youtu.be
On a personal note. Gosh I've a gut now-that lack of exercise the last few months shows.

Here you go Larry a cautionary tale with Moanin'. This is a great exercise-thanks Who'sTony. This was one at the beginning so it looks easy at first and I'm "Ok", but keeping that steady spangalang is hard-you see I get off quite bit and get lost in less than two minutes, then my time waivers in this too. It's deceptively difficult at first-I probably still suck at it. I've adding hi hats to it already (that helps with time), and trying the little kick (which is really difficult for me), but the snare part will take me a bit-hell a long time. I think I've picked this to death myself but if you notice anything else to help I'd appreciate it. Besides it's painful-moaning. Yeah I know my grip need a lot of work and actively seeking to fix that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4tXiZbmHH8&feature=youtu.be
On a personal note. Gosh I've a gut now-that lack of exercise the last few months shows.

hey Art

nice work my friend

I noticed your skip beat was quite "crushed" for a good portion of the video ... but right about 1:21 it opened up nicely

take a listen to what happens around 1:21 ... try to capture the feel that you eventually execute right around that time

also don't be afraid to get a little more rebound off the cymbal on beats 2 and 4 ... it will open it up further and give you more control and allow you to stay consistent

think ... throw, bounce, catch. throw, bounce, catch ... so that it is not all wrist work

I could make you a quick vid if you are not clear on what I mean by that if you wish ... let me know

progress is wonderful

There is more than one way to play the ride. Static spang-a-lang isn't really one of them. Hasn't been for a long while and emphasis should be on driving quarter notes.

The need for extreme independence is also not really that important. Unisons with the ride and being comfortable with all the three other voices, snare, bass and hats is the deal. Listen to songs, play musically and apart from the fact that jazz is improvisational in nature, the fundamental stuff and good feel is the main thing.

There is more than one way to play the ride. Static spang-a-lang isn't really one of them. Hasn't been for a long while and emphasis should be on driving quarter notes.

The need for extreme independence is also not really that important. Unisons with the ride and being comfortable with all the three other voices, snare, bass and hats is the deal. Listen to songs, play musically and apart from the fact that jazz is improvisational in nature, the fundamental stuff and good feel is the main thing.

it is extremely important to be able to play the traditional ride beat comfortably before exploring creative expression

this thread is clearly about the beginning stages ... and that is 100% the beginning stage once the quarter is swinging

Thanks Tony thanks for the encouragement-I've been watching the John Riley video of the catch and throw technique so been working on it (along with other videos though sometimes I think that just confuses me like with hi hats ). I notice I have a bad habit of often stifling the stick which really impacts the snare and cymbal sound (like I'm afraid to hit it). Ironically wanting to get control with a clean stroke or spangalang I lose it. Let the stick do the work. I've been tapping out stuff with my wrist so long it's a hard habit to break-but I'm seeking some help with my grip and stroke so Im going to finally fix that crap But thanks for this-really a blast-I thought it would be boring-I get bored easily LOL. I look forward to not hitting anything but the cymbal-calms my brain to listen. When I get this to a cover stage I'm going to post it-probably not all of it but something I'd feel good about. I will hit you up though, if you don't mind, when I stumble. Been working on other swinging songs too and that is just a blast. I call it joyous drumming. After a humiliating experience of someone letting me know just how much I suck at jazz I really do appreciate the encouragement.

Last edited:
Wow "just" realized I hijacked Larry's thread-what a dick-I apologize Larry. I can be "thoughtless" at times.
Tony I was thinking about your offer of a Video-do you think you could? I was thinking how much your last video with brushes really helped me-and others too. So I think one of your excellent videos would be great for Larry, myself, and others just getting into jazz.
Once again Larry I apologize for my poor etiquette but that's the reason I can never be on "your list" ;) Dammit I screw up everything. Well anyways you my bro-no better than my brother either of them would screw me over-I know you would never do that.

Art....ur why we cant have nice things! Which is how I prefer it, ur awesome. Another Ant video would rock as always, I concur.

Hey Guys,

Lots of great stuff on here already. Todd's article is unsurprisingly clear, thoughtful and useful, and Anthony's commentary and suggestions are also super helpful. Several years ago I made a kind of awful video discussing my approach to learning the ride cymbal beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syAVfXzGfLc

There is way too much of me talking in this video, so let me boil down my suggestions:

1. Take your ride cymbal away from the set to help you focus.

2. Find a piece of music with really strong ride cymbal playing. My suggestion was "Remember" from the Hank Mobley album "Soul Station" featuring Art Blakey's drumming.

3. Play along with the song several times per session, focusing on trying emulate Blakey's beat as well as locking up with Paul Chamber's bass lines.

4. Respond to the music appropriately by marking the form and playing with dynamics, while also trying to internalize some of the vocabulary from the great soloists on the tune.

Great discussion, I hope this is useful.

Hey Guys,

Lots of great stuff on here already. Todd's article is unsurprisingly clear, thoughtful and useful, and Anthony's commentary and suggestions are also super helpful. Several years ago I made a kind of awful video discussing my approach to learning the ride cymbal beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syAVfXzGfLc

There is way too much of me talking in this video, so let me boil down my suggestions:

1. Take your ride cymbal away from the set to help you focus.

2. Find a piece of music with really strong ride cymbal playing. My suggestion was "Remember" from the Hank Mobley album "Soul Station" featuring Art Blakey's drumming.

3. Play along with the song several times per session, focusing on trying emulate Blakey's beat as well as locking up with Paul Chamber's bass lines.

4. Respond to the music appropriately by marking the form and playing with dynamics, while also trying to internalize some of the vocabulary from the great soloists on the tune.

Great discussion, I hope this is useful.

nice to see you hear Andrew

hope you are well

Back