DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 05-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Anyone have the SONOR SQ1 series with 24 inch kick?

I'm looking at SONOR SQ1's and see they offer a 24x 14 kick. Plus a 22 x 18 and a 20. Just curious if anyone likes the 24 x 14 over the 22 x18. I already have a fantastic 22 x 14 with my vintage Ludwig set. I'm thinking of a 24 inch with my next one.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Anyone have the SONOR SQ1 series with 24 inch kick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
I'm looking at SONOR SQ1's and see they offer a 24x 14 kick. Plus a 22 x 18 and a 20. Just curious if anyone likes the 24 x 14 over the 22 x18. I already have a fantastic 22 x 14 with my vintage Ludwig set. I'm thinking of a 24 inch with my next one.
I'd have to think that an SQ1 with a 24,13,16 config would be just a killer setup. That's what I'd go with, in black onyx w/natural hoops (oo lala) but make sure you can fit it in your vehicle. Although this setup ( see link ) is pretty nasty too. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. I own and have a very high opinion of Sonor, made in Germany, drums. My Delite shells are vintage thin maple but seriously, how good do these sound????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLKIpCgoOrQ

Cheers,
Todd

Last edited by T_Weaves; 05-17-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added link
Old 05-17-2018, 08:54 PM

Even the 22 in the video is killer. I wish sonor made an sq1 24x18
Old 05-18-2018, 01:08 AM

I found an sq1 24 inch kick video. The demo is for a Dixon snare drum Mics not really great for showing off the kick. Still a nice looking drum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhhHGIIuK3I
Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 AM
Silver Member

I'm kinda starting to get a fever for some Sonor...

My kit's an Epiphone!
Old 05-18-2018, 02:32 AM

I just received a 13/16/24 SQ1 set a couple of weeks ago, and the bass drum sounds exactly like what a 24" should sound like: authoritative, with tons of bottom end. Since it ships with Sonor-stamped PS3s front and back, there's not a lot of boom, just depth. I think it would compliment your 22" Super Classics nicely.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hunter View Post
I just received a 13/16/24 SQ1 set a couple of weeks ago, and the bass drum sounds exactly like what a 24" should sound like: authoritative, with tons of bottom end. Since it ships with Sonor-stamped PS3s front and back, there's not a lot of boom, just depth. I think it would compliment your 22" Super Classics nicely.
Great to hear. I've always heard that a 24 is only suited for loud music or unmic'd performances. However, I think a 24 with the right heads can play in any genre. To be honest, if I order an sq1 kit, they would stay in my studio. I would gig with my current Ludwigs (It would be small acoustic gigs nothing big) or purchase a smaller kit. If I found the 24 too much for what I record (I sometimes compose/sell stock audio bits) I can just throw in the 22.

Thanks for the feedback..that was really helpful
Old 05-19-2018, 12:32 PM

I was reading a great point made elsewhere on a forum (could have been here at DW). The OP was told a 24 inch BD is only suitable four loud music. However, a responder stated that Neil Peart, Steve Smith etc used 24's on recordings and nobody knows the difference. I have to say he's correct. Unless the BD was changed in the studio, Peart used 24 inch bass drums on Moving Pictures. Just sounds like a normal properly tuned/mic'd bass drum. Most drums are all muffled anyway in the studio.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hunter View Post
How's the tuning on your new SQ1's? Easy to tune at low, mid high ranges? My vintage Ludwigs takes some major work to tune right (some drums easier than others). I think I have some bearing edge issues on my 13 inch tom. My 12 inch tom is slightly out of round and is the easiest to tune