DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-18-2018, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why are marching sticks so huge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
They are not remotely loud. The pitch is so high that the sound doesnít carry at all. Marching snares used to have some real power and presence to the sound, even all the way across the marching field. Now you can barely hear them from any more than 50 or 60 feet away. Itís a totally unsatisfying musical experience, at least for me. Theyíre not musical instruments in any meaningful sense.
No instrument is musical by itself. It's the expression and how you play an instrument that adds the musical part. My biggest gripe with most marching style stuff is that there just needs to be more space. It's usually not pleasing to me because it's so "full". Much less so if there's a full marching band... I'm mostly referring to marching drum lines and their specific music.

Have you ever played one of the antique style marching drums with skins stretched. They sound really cool. I've helped out a few times with a local fife/drum band and they've got a good number of the replica ones that are so much fun and have such a cool tone.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Volume mostly. Outside playing requires it.

Also hitting quite hard you get some added durability.

I practice with everything from 7A,5B,5A,3A, 2B the intense versions (longer) and in different woods for different weights.

They ALL feel different. Some people like REALLY long sticks. some don't. Some like 2B, some like 7A... Everyone's body is different.

It is easier to play loud with a big stick, but that doesn't mean I can't play loud with a small stick and quiet with a loud stick.. Does it make sense to do it? not really, but there are no set rules.

I have found a few interesting things lately practicing with a click,pad, and about 12 different sets of sticks... I can play cleaner at slower speeds with larger sticks, I can play fastest with a 3A or a medium stick. and smaller sticks I can conserve the most energy.

I find the rebound from a large stick pop your fingers open nicely so you can start to close them again. It's almost like cheating technique a bit.. Smaller sticks require your timing to be more precise or you will flub your note. I'm not saying in marching. They need the sticks for volume. and the speeds they play at with huge sticks is mind blowing. I wish I could do that stuff. Those guys are technique monsters and could most likely do this on any stick.

One thing I find makes a HUGE difference in rebound is the taper. and stick length. My 3A's have a slightly longer taper which make them pop up really fast. Downfall once again is less volume. The are about .25 inch longer than regular 16 inch sticks too so the fulcrum is moved slightly. depending on where you hold your stick this makes a big difference in how they feel.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Volume. Durability. Technique.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 05-18-2018, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, after that inaugural win in '72 you never heard much more from Anaheim. Growing up in Agoura, a lot of us (like me, who didn't make SC Vanguard) played with the Royal Cavaliers out of The Valley. They were a fully instrumented marching band and not a DCI corp. When they marched on street they used a triangle formation, with a clarinet as the single point in front. It was pretty cool. Back then SCSBOA concentrated on band reviews on the street and not field shows. The big events were the National City Review, Santa Monica, Santa Anita, and Camarillo. We always finished each year at the Simi Valley review which was part of Simi Valley Days.

If you marched for ANY corp you were damn good. Lus all that traveling all summer on a bus, sleeping in school gyms and churches. My hats off to ya, Bo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Ah the good old days! I eventually marched with the Anaheim Kingsmen, who were DCIís first champions in 1972. Although when we reunited in 2007, a lot of the old timers who were there didnít think much of it because DCI was brand new and nobody knew if the organization would become what it did!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
No instrument is musical by itself. It's the expression and how you play an instrument that adds the musical part. My biggest gripe with most marching style stuff is that there just needs to be more space. It's usually not pleasing to me because it's so "full". Much less so if there's a full marching band... I'm mostly referring to marching drum lines and their specific music.

Have you ever played one of the antique style marching drums with skins stretched. They sound really cool. I've helped out a few times with a local fife/drum band and they've got a good number of the replica ones that are so much fun and have such a cool tone.
Iíve seen plenty of video of those old drums being played, and I have calf heads on a lot of my snares and toms. The low end on those drums is huge, you can hear them from hundreds of yards away.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Volume. Durability. Technique.

I agree with this. Technique being a big one, fatter sticks are easier to finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post

It is easier to play loud with a big stick, but that doesn't mean I can't play loud with a small stick and quiet with a loud stick.. Does it make sense to do it? not really, but there are no set rules.

I find the rebound from a large stick pop your fingers open nicely so you can start to close them again. It's almost like cheating technique a bit.. Smaller sticks require your timing to be more precise or you will flub your note.

It is easier to play loud with a bigger stick, and increased diameter means less finger movement.