Do you talk drums and drumming with your significant other?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
This came about from reading Bo's thread on his new Ludwig Breakbeat set. He stated that his wife knew he loved the Ludwig sound. Which to me implies that Bo talks on a fairly deep level about the drums to Mrs. Bo.

Now this may or may not be the case, but still it made me wonder how many here get into the nitty gritty of drums with their S/O's.

In my life the only mention of drums is if I have a gig, if I have a rehearsal, maybe some things about interpersonal relationships with various band members, but very little of anything else, no gear talk, only if it has a bearing on what I'm talking about, which pretty much never happens. It's mainly my doing, other than here I won't talk about it unless I'm asked. Which pretty much never happens either, it's not interesting enough I guess. Here I can't shut up lol.

I don't talk drums much with my wife but she is certainly interested in the price whenever I buy or sell gear. Mostly when I sell because she knows if it was a big sale we are going out for dinner! :)

Well, I definitely talk drums but whether or not she listens is another issue.

No. My wife could care less to hear me talk about drums. She does, however, love to hear me play them and readily encourages it.

I talk to my wife about gear and my progress on drums. She doesn't know what I'm talking about, and doesn't care, but I tell her anyway.

Nope. We have lots of things in common....enough for many lifetimes together (and I would spend many lifetimes with her).....but drums are definitely not one of them. She does not like them, want to hear them or talk about them...mostly she leaves when I play. It's nice to have an oasis ;-) I'm trying to find another one.

First year or so we were together, and maybe a brief period after marriage, we talked about it quite a bit. After that, I was told the truth... She was bored by it. That's really why I'm here. When I feel the need to talk drums, I have a place to go.

Nope, my soon-to-be ex lost interest after the first of our 22 years together.

First year or so we were together, and maybe a brief period after marriage, we talked about it quite a bit. After that, I was told the truth... She was bored by it. That's really why I'm here. When I feel the need to talk drums, I have a place to go.

Curious, do you listen to her stuff that you consider boring? I definitely put my time in there lol.

Bucking the trend a bit here...
My wife listens to gear talk as well as band talk. I think she is really interested, to a certain extent. She also likes to hear about my work as graphic designer and IT consultant. We talk about a lot of things.

Mine made the mistake of asking me "what are the decisions that a drummers makes when putting together a drumset?"
I've been answering her in one way or another on a daily basis for four years now.

Back