First ever record you bought.

It hasn't aged terribly well, but I'm still the Metallica fan I was when I was that age. It was released about two months after I was born, and I discovered it after getting heavily into Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning. The work after that never appealed, but those three albums are just something else.

I quite like some of the songs off of the later albums. The first ever Metallica album i bought was St. Anger (don't shout at me). But then again i am a bit of a weirdo so...

I quite like some of the songs off of the later albums. The first ever Metallica album i bought was St. Anger (don't shout at me). But then again i am a bit of a weirdo so...

Some of the other albums have good songs here and there. I even like 'Frantic' if I ignore the lyric, but I just can't get through a whole album. They're too long and they lack variety. That's what I like about the three 'Classic' albums is that no two songs sound the same. On the other hand, you have a band like Slayer who have stone cold classic albums and all the songs sound similar (I'm thinking of you, 'Reign in Blood'!) but it's all over so quickly that it doesn't matter.

I do genuinely think that most bands make albums that are just far too long. 'Stadium Arcadium' is a great example of an album that could have lost half of the songs and would've been made much better as a result.

Agreed! + Kill Em´All and Black (snake) album...pure Metallica core.

It hasn't aged terribly well, but I'm still the Metallica fan I was when I was that age. It was released about two months after I was born, and I discovered it after getting heavily into Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning. The work after that never appealed, but those three albums are just something else.

It hasn't aged terribly well, but I'm still the Metallica fan I was when I was that age.

I can relate. Between 1988 and 1995 I must have seen the band live maybe 15-20 times. I was such a fan.

I recall when Load was about to come out. A local record store in Hollywood announced they would put it on sale at mid-night. I drove by the place, but the line was insane, so I decided to come back in the morning. I didn't have a CD player in my car, so I purchased both the CD and cassette(?) because I wasn't going to have time to dub a cassette copy for the car.

I put it on, anticipating something great, and it was just so disappointing. I couldn't believe I had just paid good money for two copies of this! Ugh...

Yeah, Justice is great, but after all these years, if I decided to put on some Metallica, I almost always reach for "Ride the Lightening" before anything else.

Some of the other albums have good songs here and there. I even like 'Frantic' if I ignore the lyric, but I just can't get through a whole album. They're too long and they lack variety. That's what I like about the three 'Classic' albums is that no two songs sound the same. On the other hand, you have a band like Slayer who have stone cold classic albums and all the songs sound similar (I'm thinking of you, 'Reign in Blood'!) but it's all over so quickly that it doesn't matter.

I do genuinely think that most bands make albums that are just far too long. 'Stadium Arcadium' is a great example of an album that could have lost half of the songs and would've been made much better as a result.

I'm probably going to get on your nerves even more now, but i generally don't tend to listen to whole albums at a time. I know what you're talking about albums being too long, it's like they're just trying to get a hit by making as many different songs as possible and then shoving them into an album rather than thinking how the album will actually come together.

I recall when Load was about to come out. A local record store in Hollywood announced they would put it on sale at mid-night. I drove by the place, but the line was insane, so I decided to come back in the morning. I didn't have a CD player in my car, so I purchased both the CD and cassette(?) because I wasn't going to have time to dub a cassette copy for the car.

I put it on, anticipating something great, and it was just so disappointing. I couldn't believe I had just paid good money for two copies of this! Ugh...

I think the thing about load was not really that it was intrinsically a bad album, just that it was so different from their previous style that it alienated a lot of their key fan base.

This was my first album, and it's a great one, too.
bluealbum.jpg

I'm probably going to get on your nerves even more now, but i generally don't tend to listen to whole albums at a time. I know what you're talking about albums being too long, it's like they're just trying to get a hit by making as many different songs as possible and then shoving them into an album rather than thinking how the album will actually come together.

I don't have an issue with single-song listening. It's how the industry started and it's continuing that way with downloadable content. It's just my preference to listen to an entire album. I was brought up with Classical music always playing, so listening to extended works was never a problem and it's just how I listen to music.

With that said, my attention span is limited. Without variation in tone or theme, it's hard te get much beyond half an hour of the same band. If there is enough variation, I can listen to a band all day.

The Prodigy - The jilted generation, when I was really young. Changed my life.

Although I'm only 16, I didn't actually buy this, but I received them from my grandfather when he bought an old CD Rack, when he purchased a wrecked Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic. when I was 12, I looked in the rack and pulled out 3 CD's: Def Leppard (Pyromania) ACDC (The Razors Edge) and KISS (Alive), because my dad turned me onto Classic Rock, and I grew to love it. They really got me into Classic Rock, and I still love it...

Very good old records!

Pyromania (love that DL riff guitar sound) and The Razors Edge (Chris Slade on drums, powerful), I still have the LP's...KISS, Alive I or Alive II?

when I was 12, I looked in the rack and pulled out 3 CD's: Def Leppard (Pyromania) ACDC (The Razors Edge) and KISS (Alive), because my dad turned me onto Classic Rock, and I grew to love it. They really got me into Classic Rock, and I still love it...

I never get tired of October Rust. I have their entire catalog, but I listen to October the most.

It's a classic rock album, not just metal album, one of the greats in my opinion. Sure, I'm biased but who isn't when talking about great albums. Wolf Moon is still my favourite Type O Negative song, give it a listen guys if you've never heard the band.

May have been a Soft Machine album (don't remember which, after looking the list up)

For some reason, I loved long instrumentals back then.SM was quality stuff, no doubt.

Then a wise schoolmate (hi Thoi!) took me to Montreux to have some blues...

The first album I bought for myself (well, actually I asked my mother to), was:

Dookie - Green Day

Around 2001, I was 12 years old.

Cheers.

The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord

- so far ahead of their time it's not funny

Yes!! Mine was "On the Threshold of a Dream" I must like drummers who write lyrics.

A side-note, Mike Pinder lives nearby and I had the honor of playing a gig with his son, Matt. What a really fine bass 'player. His band is The Pinder Bros

Because of this post, I had to put on "Master of Puppets" today.

Back