Started my drum room a couple of weeks ago. Some progress photos.

I am DEFINATELY going to make one of these when i am old and rich enough. How much does building a drum room cost, and where do you get the training in such carpentering? I am just a teenager, so i have no experience in this area whatsoever. How do you learn to become a carpenter and remodel rooms like this?

I am DEFINATELY going to make one of these when i am old and rich enough. How much does building a drum room cost, and where do you get the training in such carpentering? I am just a teenager, so i have no experience in this area whatsoever. How do you learn to become a carpenter and remodel rooms like this?

How much it costs depends greatly on what you build and where you build it. It is possible to build a somewhat quiet, bare bones 8x8x8 room into a garage space for ~$500.00. More than likely, you'll be looking at closer to $2,500.00 min for any kind of reasonably quiet room with ventilation and a decent door. Costs go up dramatically from there. Generally speaking, the costs for sound proofing scale quadratically.

How much experience you need also depends on what you build. Something simple can be done with very little previous experience, but I would recommend getting help from someone with experience as this will prevent costly mistakes.

Damn all you basement/garage drum room studio people are making me vivid green with envy!!!

There have been some great rooms on her recently- this one no exception.

I will have to stick to my little drum room that I currently have- no sound proofing and cant play while the kids are at home unless i'm no the electric.

Ohhh some day

Hahaha i have never been accused of being a carpenter in my entire life! If you knew me you would be laughing also.

How much it costs depends greatly on what you build and where you build it. It is possible to build a somewhat quiet, bare bones 8x8x8 room into a garage space for ~$500.00. More than likely, you'll be looking at closer to $2,500.00 min for any kind of reasonably quiet room with ventilation and a decent door. Costs go up dramatically from there. Generally speaking, the costs for sound proofing scale quadratically.

How much experience you need also depends on what you build. Something simple can be done with very little previous experience, but I would recommend getting help from someone with experience as this will prevent costly mistakes.

Brundlefly knows what he is talking about. My room so far has cost about 2,300 and thats just one new wall and one ceiling so think about at least doubling that amount for the other three walls. However if I wanted to just build the room and didn't care about sound proofing, It would be much cheaper. About 500 is what it would have cost me for one wall, one ceiling, one layer of drywall and a cheaper door.

He is also right in saying knowing someone with experience is all you really need. I had a good friend help me the first three days of the build and I learned a lot. I really had no experience at all. I had not a single tool, all of them were borrowed.

Wow, looks good. I always wanted to build my own drum room, maybe some day... Great work by the way!

Damn all you basement/garage drum room studio people are making me vivid green with envy!!!

There have been some great rooms on her recently- this one no exception.

I will have to stick to my little drum room that I currently have- no sound proofing and cant play while the kids are at home unless i'm no the electric.

Ohhh some day

Thanks guys I really appreciate the kind words. To be honest even when I am finished I don't think I will be able to play while the kids are sleeping... It has cut down the noise a lot, however it is not soundproof. To be able to play while the kids are sleeping would cost me more than double probably. Look at Brundlefly's build and think that way.... either way I am happy with the results I have gotten so far.

I have to say that I'm jealous too. The room looks great! Your drums look great too. I want to do a drum room, but I have very limited space (no basement). I thought about buying one of those pre-fab wooden out buildings and sound proof it as much as possible to play drums in. Any thoughts on doing something like that?

Hey drumr0- I've been agonizing over the very same thing.

Biggest problem I've been thinking about is that I live in negative temps for a 3rd of the year.

I worry that the temp changes will cause damage to my kit etc-

I can heat the place- but then I'm spending money on heating a wooden shed!

Looks great, I'm considering installing in my room/studio a nice carpet too... Did you install your grey carpet yourself?

Back