Gel muffling lovers, dig this!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
For those who use (or would like to use) those little blue gel muffling squares but think they're too expensive or too small/large, here's a simple, ultra-inexpensive alternative to the store-bought version.

Window clings are the same thing, and currently at the 99¢ Only stores, you can get these -

gel_assorted.jpg

Compare the 4 popular gel pieces in the center to the sizes, shapes & quantities available for $1 per package, and you can see the possibilities and advantages. Of course, you'll need an airtight container or two, and 99¢ Only has a few options: 2 small, 1 med w/1 small (inside), or 1 large, each is $1.00 -

gel_boxes.jpg

Let's see how this works out. I've taken one large sports clings package, and hastily chopped them into little rectangles. You can certainly cut them neater and in preferred sizes, but you get the idea -

gel_compare.jpg

Another advantage is the myriad of sizes and shapes available (see top photo) which allow you to select the right size for the right drum. Why use the same size gel on a 10" tom, as on the 16", and why buy extra gels just because you need more coverage on larger drums? For example, using the Happy Birthday pack allows you to use the "a" on a small tom, "r" on a med tom, and the "b" and "h" on a large tom, no cutting/sizing needed (plus you can make some fun words out of them, too!) Or try this assortment with 13 various sized balls. That yellow bat and some of the other shapes will come in handy as well. With the box shown, this costs just $4.00 -

gel_balls.jpg

So (you may ask) are these the same as the blue gel? Yep, except they're very slightly thinner. If you don't a/b them, you wouldn't even know.

If you're familiar with the 99¢ Only stores, you know that these could be merchandised almost anywhere in the store. For example, in my local store, they're not with the party supplies or children's stuff... they're in the "man aisle" with the tools, electrical goodies and car products. You also know that these probably aren't available for much longer, so hurry!

Enjoy!

Bermuda

Yup...been using those for a few months now. Buy a whole boatload for what one package of moongel costs. Got some balloons on one set of drums, and birthday cakes on another. The kiddies just love 'em ha ha

been using these for a while

but I have found that to get the same affect of one moon gel I need to stack 3 or so of the dollar store pieces because they are so much thinner

still cheaper .....but I prefer moon gels

luckily I got 5 containers of them from a student for christmas ....so I'm set for a while since I use them quite sparsely

still cheaper .....but I prefer moon gels

luckily I got 5 containers of them from a student for christmas ....so I'm set for a while since I use them quite sparsely

He might have been subtly telling you something, lol.

Dennis

but I have found that to get the same affect of one moon gel I need to stack 3 or so of the dollar store pieces because they are so much thinner

Not sure which ones you've found, but the ones currently at 99¢ are about 75-80% as thick as the Moon Gel. If that does make a difference, I suppose you can cut the cheap stuff a little larger to get the same effective weight.

Note: I've got several sizes/colors in one container, and I'm seeing that there is staining on the pieces! Will give these a good test run in the studio and gig tomorrow and see if that transfers on the heads.

The answer may be as simple as just using one color. :)

Bermuda

Not sure which ones you've found, but the ones currently at 99¢ are about 75-80% as thick as the Moon Gel. If that does make a difference, I suppose you can cut the cheap stuff a little larger to get the same effective weight.

Note: I've got several sizes/colors in one container, and I'm seeing that there is staining on the pieces! Will give these a good test run in the studio and gig tomorrow and see if that transfers on the heads.

The answer may be as simple as just using one color. :)

Bermuda

If they do stain the head, they may not be entirely diffferent from Moon Gels.

They ones I used on my first kit stained the head. However, that was the cheap coated head that came with the kit.

Even if it does stain the head, is that really a problem? We all deal with stick marks and brush marks all the time. What's another mark on the head?

Other than cosmetically, I don't think that staining is an issue. I may lay a blue gel on a the white window cling and see if it leeches, too.

Bermuda

He might have been subtly telling you something, lol.

Dennis

ha

a few weeks before christmas he asked me if I ever just grab random things like the sort of impulse items they have laying on the counter at drums shops when I go for important things....and if so ....what?

I mentioned a few things and moon gels was one of them

he also got me a few pair of sticks and some felts and whatnot

one container of moon gels may last me a year or more

$6.75 a year I think I can handle

:)

I prefer moon gel to the dollar store items

That's the best money saving idea since I found out you can use Barkeepers Friend for cymbal cleaner. Headed to the Dollar Store right now !

On a related note,my roommate just gave me a container of moongels . I have always used gaff tape if I needed muffling. I decided to try a piece on my extra ringy Supra. I like a dry drum ,compared to a lot of people on this board. One whole piece totally deadened the drum. It sounded like a phone book. I ended up using less than a third.

A question about moon gel and the dollar store stuff: when you use them on cymbals, does it deaden the whole cymbal, or just the general area around it, or maybe like a ring around the whole cymbal in the spot where you put it?

Good suggestion.

However I picked up this idea from a post on some drum message board (don't remember which):

Air gun targets.

If you buy an air gun target and remove the from target layer, there's a large round area, as large (larger?) as a frisbee that is all gel sticking to the frame of the target.

I bought one for about $14 a couple of years ago. You use a safety razor and cut pieces to whatever size you want. It's so close to Moon Gel that I haven't bought any Moon Gel for that long. I still have a lot of material to use as well. FWIW, the gel is clear so no ink stain to worry about.

I put the front layer back on to keep the gel from drying out.

Jim

...Air gun targets.

If you buy an air gun target and remove the from target layer, there's a large round area, as large (larger?) as a frisbee that is all gel sticking to the frame of the target...

Shedboyxx,
I love this idea, especially for my clear acrylic kit, but I cannot find the targets you mentioned with an internet search. Do you remember where you got them, or have a link to what you're talking about, please?
Thanks.

So, since posting about the 99¢ window clings, I've learned/confirmed a few things.

First, they work great! Here's an assortment used on a session the other day:

gel_studio.jpg

Second, although the colors do bleed onto each other, sometimes the effect is pretty cool, like this Egg McMuffin gel -

gel_egg.jpg

And third, as to whether the blue gel also bleeds color, here's the answer after just 12 hours with a cheap white gel -

gel_bleed.jpg

This tends to confirm that the expensive and cheap gels have the same properties, and I find they work the same. As I originally stated, the sizes and quantities beat the blue gel hands down, at about 6% of the price!

Bermuda

What's nice about the alternative gels is you can use a bigger sizes for bigger drums, they can be cut with scissors. Some are as thick or even thicker than MOONGELS.

MOONGEL is one size (supposedly?) fits all. Wha Wha Wha~

What works good too are furniture leg pads, they're cheap, sizable, colours, they look good and they work.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 560
Some are as thick or even thicker than MOONGELS.

Just a caveat on these particular clings, they are for the most part about 75% as thick as the blue gel, but most drummers - unless they're extremely familiar with the blue gel - wouldn't notice the difference. If there are any noticeable sonic differences, just add more window clings - they're cheap!

Bermuda

Just a caveat on these particular clings, they are for the most part about 75% as thick as the blue gel, but most drummers - unless they're extremely familiar with the blue gel - wouldn't notice the difference. If there are any noticeable sonic differences, just add more window clings - they're cheap!

Bermuda

Out of the box MOON GELS are thicker, tho after a short time they shrink and it seems they shrink a lot faster than the alternatives I've been using.

What's nice about the alternative gels is you can use a bigger sizes for bigger drums, they can be cut with scissors. Some are as thick or even thicker than MOONGELS.

MOONGEL is one size (supposedly?) fits all. Wha Wha Wha~

What works good too are furniture leg pads, they're cheap, sizable, colours, they look good and they work.

I bought these once and they work fine. Match the head color and the adhesive keeps them in place, and they come in many sizes.

Back