Amp Recommendations

iontheable

Hey guys, I'm looking for a practice amp for my Bass.

But I am curious, if there is a cheap enough one out there ($50-70 tops) that will sound decent with a guitar as well, as I plan to pick one up down the road.

Also, I circuit bend small electronics and lately I've been working on a Casio SK-1 and I will want to use the amp for these purposes as well. Through circuit bending I run a small risk of blowing things up, so I want to practice on a cheap amp before using an expensive stack.

Thanks for the Suggestions

Hey guys, I'm looking for a practice amp for my Bass.

But I am curious, if there is a cheap enough one out there ($50-70 tops) that will sound decent with a guitar as well, as I plan to pick one up down the road.

Also, I circuit bend small electronics and lately I've been working on a Casio SK-1 and I will want to use the amp for these purposes as well. Through circuit bending I run a small risk of blowing things up, so I want to practice on a cheap amp before using an expensive stack.

Thanks for the Suggestions

Well if you are trying for dual use with guitar and bass - a keyboard amp will have the range to cover both. Peavey makes some rock solid low price amps.

I have been designing electronics for decades and I have never heard the term "circuit bending" - please explain (do you mean overdriving circuits to increase power output?)

Well if you are trying for dual use with guitar and bass - a keyboard amp will have the range to cover both. Peavey makes some rock solid low price amps.

I have been designing electronics for decades and I have never heard the term "circuit bending" - please explain (do you mean overdriving circuits to increase power output?)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_bending

Heh bending has been around for some time, possibly since the late 50's/early 60's, I personally got into bending about 4 years ago- I started with Speak and spells and now I'm working with vintage keyboards.

Essentially you create several shorts across a components circuit board with resistors and switches and many other tools.

The outcome, besides frying a board, are sounds that the device was never meant to make. You'd be surprised how often circuit bent sounds make their way to commercials and electronic music sampling.

*edit* my goal is to soon start working on pedals and processing devices like the line6 boards..only all circuit bent related.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_bending

Heh bending has been around for some time, possibly since the late 50's/early 60's, ...Essentially you create several shorts across a components circuit board with resistors and switches and many other tools.

The outcome, besides frying a board, ......

The difference between shorting a resistor that is part of:
an amplifier circuit (messing with the gain stage) and
shorting a resistor on a power supply (damaging circuitry, fire, destruction of PC board) is quite large.

There are so many software controls for recording any sound you can come up with - I would rather do it on a computer and save my electronics for future use.

My new CD (that is at the mastering house) has plenty of wild bended sounds (... with no harm done to any electronic devices ;<)

Back