Show Us Your Muffling

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
any tips / tricks for your chosen:

a) genre
b) kit / head combo ?

i'll post pics as soon as i learn how to post a pic within my post.

Alas, no pics yet i use Dynamat and make my own. Use it on the heads and cymbals. You can get a large roll of it for about $60 and it is enough to last me MANY years.

Here's my muffling:

4559435133_f9a3f111f0.jpg

If you'd like, you can listen to how it sounds by clicking here.

Here's my muffling:

4559435133_f9a3f111f0.jpg

If you'd like, you can listen to how it sounds by clicking here.

very nice drumming. very nice chops. very nice sound. very nice documentation on your page. what batters / resos are you using ?

i know a lot of folks aren't into muffling. either they don't need it or sometimes they actually abhor the very concept. but i have no problem with it. muffling has been done throughout the ages. Bonzo muffled. but even more exemplary to me is that if it's good enough for Ed Cassidy, it's good enough for me. ;)

in the classic rock era (which is what i'm into) it was very common to muffle especially in studio situations as well as in live performance. the studio applications are very much what i'm interested in.

that said, i'm a new drummer and am interested in muffling styles / types / evolution over the years ( :p ) / specific muffling for different types of music / common muffling styles for specific types of music / the landscape of the world of muffling / the state of muffling today / muffling in social application / etc. / from moon gel, to...

cigarette pack on the head (how full a pack ? placed where ?)
towel under the rim (how thick ? which lugs ?)
towel over the rim (taped ? where ?)
handkerchief in a corner between two lugs (which two lugs ? how thick a handkerchief ?)

and many other styles and variations of styles that are unknown to myself - a relative newb.

if anyone can contribute to my knowledge of this world, please chime in !!!

Alas, no pics yet i use Dynamat and make my own. Use it on the heads and cymbals. You can get a large roll of it for about $60 and it is enough to last me MANY years.

thanks for your reply.

i googled Dynamat and i saw a LOT of different products and variations of products. i'm not sure which you were referring to.

how do you apply it ? is it cut in any way ? where is applied and how ?

thanks.

EQ3 w/an EMAD foam ring for the perfect sound.

Attachments

• Bass Drum Inside.jpg
    Bass Drum Inside.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,015
very nice drumming. very nice chops. very nice sound. very nice documentation on your page. what batters / resos are you using?

Thanks! I'm using clear Evans EC2s and clear Remo Ambassadors on the toms, a coated Ambassador batter and a clear Ambassador snareside reso on the snare, and a clear PS3 batter and a coated Ambassador reso on the bass drum -- and I do use a rolled towel inside the kick.

EQ3 w/an EMAD foam ring for the perfect sound.

Great Shot !!!

this has to be one of the Best Drum Shots of all time !!!

what ? did you Windex the EQ3 before the shoot ? wait for the sunlight to be in the right position ala Coppola ? BEAUTIFUL !!!!!

so how did you get the EMAD ring :
1) off of the EMAD
2) onto the EQ3 ?

i knew there were some great muffling stories out there. how did you come up with the idea ?

thank you for sharing and please reply.

Thanks! I'm using clear Evans EC2s and clear Remo Ambassadors on the toms, a coated Ambassador batter and a clear Ambassador snareside reso on the snare, and a clear PS3 batter and a coated Ambassador reso on the bass drum -- and I do use a rolled towel inside the kick.

thanks for your reply.

how big a towel ? touching what parts of the head(s) ?

any pictures ?

I use Evans e-rings on snare and toms and an old feather pillow in the bass drum.

Play mostly rock, funk, and anything that grooves. My toms are wide open (Vintage Emperors over clear Ambassadors).

I use a Powerstroke 3 batter w/ a coated Ambassador reso on the kick. I use a small DW-style hourglass shaped pillow *just barely* up against the batter, but about an inch short of touching the reso, for extra sustain.

I like this method. It's simple. The pillow is velcro'd down so it never moves and the sound is amazing. Both punchy and boomy...and I lose none of the sensitivity.

attachment.php

...just one Moongel on the snare when needed and
a little towel between the bass drum head and the pedal...

Philippe

muf.jpg

I use this between the pedal and the head (similar to phil_qc's method):

KickMuffleSide.jpg

I've done this for years.
Inside, I use 1" Polyfoam, just at the bottom and just touching the front head to control the sustain a little. It goes from the screws of the legs, side to side. It's taped down so it never moves.
I can adjust how much muting I want just by reaching down.

I use this for all my bass drums.
L-R:
16x26, 18x26, 20x26, 20x26, 16x28

All5.jpg

It will work on any size bass drum, and it's simple.

I also use a piece of Coated Ambassador head taped to the beater impact point because I like the sound of no patch on the head (I use a Coated Ambassador batter).

if the drums are tuned correctly its not necessary to do any dampening. I find the evans ec2 coated heads work best for me on the toms, evans hd dry coated on the snare top & any extra thin on the snare bottom & evans emad on the kick. I do like the idea of the towel between the kick pedal & head. that makes sense & is very simple....... Murdock the Drummer

no muffling on my drums at all, with the exception of a felt strip on both batter and reso heads of the kick.

I use the small end of an Evans RGS pad lightly against the batter head of my kick drums. That's it for muffling. Toms and snares are wide open.

Great Shot !!!

this has to be one of the Best Drum Shots of all time !!!

what ? did you Windex the EQ3 before the shoot ? wait for the sunlight to be in the right position ala Coppola ? BEAUTIFUL !!!!!

so how did you get the EMAD ring :
1) off of the EMAD
2) onto the EQ3 ?

i knew there were some great muffling stories out there. how did you come up with the idea ?

thank you for sharing and please reply.

Yes off an EMAD.

I just carefully fed the ring into the EQ3 ring.

The tray was cracking on the EMAD. It was making a rattling noise when played.

Before EMAD 10+ years ago I was experimenting with the Remo muffle ring foam tucked into an EQ3. The problem with that is the remo foam was so thick it would pretension the head too much.

Back