Shipping drums- What is the most cost effective?

Seasonedpro

I have never shipped drums before and I would rather trust my fellow brethren on this board than any other site.

What is the most cost effective way to ship drums and about how much does it cost? I am shipping a 70s rogers bop kit. I have hard cases for the kick and floor tom. (18X16 14x14) other drums are a 14x4 snare and 12x8 rack

best way is to pull off the bass drum hoops and bubble wrap the shell individually

you could pull the hoops off all the shells and put a rack tom inside the bass drum shell each individually heavily bubble wrapped with padding between them

I would box the floor tom separately

always heavily wrapped, and then surrounded by extra padding and double boxed

I also usually recommend overnight shipping for less handling

Fedex Ground/Home tends to be less expensive than UPS Ground, but still worth comparing. I know that if you have a Fedex online account (simple enough to set up) you get 10% off for preparing the shipment yourself, and you can just walk it into Fedex and drop it off, no standing in line. Post office rates will be out of sight, avoid at (literally) all costs.

Make sure you allow 3" of packing between the drum and wall of the box for insurance purposes, otherwise the carrier may not honor a claim, based on improper packing.

Bermuda

best way is to pull off the bass drum hoops and bubble wrap the shell individually

you could pull the hoops off all the shells and put a rack tom inside the bass drum shell each individually heavily bubble wrapped with padding between them

Post office rates will be out of sight, avoid at (literally) all costs.

Make sure you allow 3" of packing between the drum and wall of the box for insurance purposes, otherwise the carrier may not honor a claim, based on improper packing.

Bermuda

Thank you.

Is just shipping them in their cases ok? Add some extra cushioning and packing materials of course but just putting a label on the cases? They're SKB cases and buyer knows the cases are well used so blemishes don't matter.

I would think the cases are fine, not sure how the carriers would view them in terms of insurance. just make sure they can't come unbuckled from the handling.

Bermuda

Thank you.

Is just shipping them in their cases ok? Add some extra cushioning and packing materials of course but just putting a label on the cases? They're SKB cases and buyer knows the cases are well used so blemishes don't matter.

the only problem I see with shipping them in cases is that they can be opened by anyone handling them

that and with the proper wrapping I think they need to be shipped they will no longer fit in the cases.

one may say if they are in padded cases then why do they need to be wrapped

think about it .....then you are just shipping drums in cases that can be opened at any point in the shipping process

I ship vintage drums all over the country all the time

I highly recommend pulling off the hoops, heavily bubble wrapping them , and double boxing them in a box that is oversized by at least 3 inches for extra padding

plus shipping in cases you are paying for all that extra weight

Last edited:
Back