That crossroads feeling.

Andy

Honorary Member
I'm in one of those moods today. I've been reviewing where I am right now, & I find both good & bad. Almost to the day, I've been back at playing for 3 years after a 20+ year break. Virtually no practice, just thrown myself back into gigging.

I'm now at the stage where I can hold a gig together with some credibility, yet I'm far from satisfied with my playing. I've fallen into the age old trap of concentrating on what I can do, rather than what I can't do. Just about every skill needed to consistently nail a performance is missing, & I need to get my act together. From my previous playing, I know there's a lot more to offer, but I've had many challenges in my life, some of them hanging onto life itself, so I'm not sure if I have enough challenge capacity left in the batteries. There is no sense of achievement without challenge, so if you want one, it doesn't come without the other.

Then there's the flip side to this. I really enjoy what I'm doing. My band is going from strength to strength, I have great band mates, we pull a good audience & have no issues getting gigs (we've got 7 festivals/rallies booked for the summer season already :) ) If I'm looking for achievement, there it is, right there.

So do I take the easy route or the hard route? Is the easy route actually the hard route in the long run, in so much as I'll continue to manage my inner frustration. Maybe some of this will resonate with others here, I'm not sure, but I just thought I'd open the door.

Andy.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that you may find rewarding is working on your pocket and feel ... no matter what you play it can always be improved, unless your name is Steve Gadd.

If you have time then a good teacher can probably set you in the right direction. Are there any in Hereford?

I've been at that place before so I know some of what you are talking about.

Not suggesting to do this but I literally packed it all away for about 8 months. I didn't pick up a stick, open any magazines and barely listened to music. I was tired of it all.

At that point I concluded I was either going to sell it all and never do this again or I needed some new inspiration. I chose the latter and found the best teacher I could possibly find who was willing to work with me as an adult student and not treat me like a kid or a beginner.

That rejuvenated my interest. I still have ups and downs but I've learned where to put the seriousness and consideration of music in the bigger picture of my life.

Music and playing is such a passionate thing for most of us, I think at some point many of us get to the crossroads.

I'm now at the stage where I can hold a gig together with some credibility, yet I'm far from satisfied with my playing.

And that's an achievement in itself, 20+ years is a very long time without playing (physically, I'm sure your mind kept playing a bit) considering that you have choosen not to practice first but went straight to gigging again. :)

I've fallen into the age old trap of concentrating on what I can do, rather than what I can't do. Just about every skill needed to consistently nail a performance is missing, & I need to get my act together.

That's an understandable and natural approach, you had to get most of your abilities back to an acceptable level of playing for the "what I can do" section, lack of playing for 20 years + no dedicated practice + choosing to gig straight away = no other solutions, isn't it? Now you've reached the bit were you can hold a band together, it's perhaps time to move on to the "what I can't do" section. :)

From my previous playing, I know there's a lot more to offer, but I've had many challenges in my life, some of them hanging onto life itself, so I'm not sure if I have enough challenge capacity left in the batteries. There is no sense of achievement without challenge, so if you want one, it doesn't come without the other.

100% agree there, but Andy, you said it yourself in an other thread "It's a mindset thing", that alone could be powerful enough to recharge both your batteries and choosen challenges to reach whatever expectations and achievements you so desire to establish. :)

Then there's the flip side to this. I really enjoy what I'm doing. My band is going from strength to strength, I have great band mates, we pull a good audience & have no issues getting gigs (we've got 7 festivals/rallies booked for the summer season already :) ) If I'm looking for achievement, there it is, right there.

... and that's the most important factor, enjoying it, having fun, being in a good band with great mates, what can anyone ask for more. :))

So do I take the easy route or the hard route? Is the easy route actually the hard route in the long run, in so much as I'll continue to manage my inner frustration.

What do you do about that bush in your garden by the side of the pathway that's keeps hitting your legs every times you pass it by? Do you avoid it? Do you trim it back? The easy route is to avoid it, but the bush will keep growing, but on the other hand, with a bit of an effort, you'll trim it back, problem resolved. In reality, it's back to the "It's a mindset thing" theory, you're the only one who knows what's best for you. :))

Well, you know my perspective is always coming from left field. I'd say challenging yourself is good because not only will you excel as a drummer, you'll be sharpening your mind. We need to be constantly challenging ourselves or the brain becomes dull, we stop building new neuron connections and things deteriorate upstairs quite rapidly. That's why games are good too. I play board games like Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne with my friends every other weekend. My job is constantly challenging me because I have to do a lot of problem solving. I'm always trying new beats and new music styles on the drums. My current challenge is learning Petrillo's book (H,G & F). Heck, I work with an 80 year old man. I think he is very sharp and his work keeps him going everyday. He does all the map checking.

I am hardly qualified to offer experienced advice (going to anyway) but variety is the spice of life. Any chance you could play a different style of music with someone else every once in a while? Maybe some jazz would stretch yous skills and mind a bit....

No one has ever posted like this and not had a teacher recommended to them. A good one will be able to pick your playing apart in a matter of minutes and get you going on a rewgiment that will help your playing and challenge your mind (sounds daunting but I love it personally).

Please disregard if this is newb dribble. I am a rookie so I dont know if it is or not by definition.

All very well considered replies guys, & I thank you for your time in responding.

I just want to clarify something; It's not a "should I give up or carry on" conundrum, nor is it a motivation or inspiration thing, it's more to do with finding the most rewarding route that still keeps fun in the mix. If I decide to substantially up my game, I even know what to concentrate on, & how to go about it, it's whether I should or not. I have a choice between organic improvement or structured & targeted improvement. The approach & general mindset is totally different for each choice, & it's aligning that choice to my personal capacity that needs a decision from me.

Pol, as a side issue, I tried a couple of local teachers some time back. They were useless, but I could look again, if I decide on the structured improvement route.

Pol, as a side issue, I tried a couple of local teachers some time back. They were useless, but I could look again, if I decide on the structured improvement route.

I think there's a real issue with lessons for ye anciente drummers like us with, um, agricultural hand and finger technique. I'm sure 99% of teachers would rather keen young things than blighters who often need to take backward steps to move forward.

At the moment you have an amorphous aim - to get better. Next step is to set a goal - this is a time when you can use your considerable corporate and organisational chops. What do you want to change in your playing? Improving groove? Creating different drum parts? Learn some new rhythms and fills?

Once you have a goal you can ask advice and then sift through the ones you feel most ready for. Or ask a teacher for help in reaching that goal.

Then pull out the sticks and metronome. The hard bit is the discipline to do the spadework. I KNOW I should be doing Larry's 40bpm thing but ... right, I'm going to do it right now! :)

So do I take the easy route or the hard route? Is the easy route actually the hard route in the long run, in so much as I'll continue to manage my inner frustration. Maybe some of this will resonate with others here, I'm not sure, but I just thought I'd open the door.

Andy.

Well here's a few words from another one who has no experience to speak from and should probably keep her mouth shut...take them or leave them, I won't be offended either way.

You admittedly enjoy what you are doing...and isn't that at least 75% of the battle, right there. Whenever I post one of my "I'm feeling frustrated" rants the first thing that usually comes back to me is that I must remember to have fun. Sounds as is you are the right track.

As for challenging yourself, I get that. If I didnt, I wouldn't have started playing drums at 43 years of age! However, does challenging yourself mean you have to give up doing what you enjoy? Does it have to be one or the other? Continue with the gigs and when you have time work on the things that keep you challenged and improving whether thats with a teacher or whatever. I would think that one could only help the other. I think sometimes we feel (at least I know I do) that I have to focus all of my attention on one thing at a time but I find that usually leads to more frustration and boredom with what I'm doing. You know what they say...variety is the spice of life!

Anyways, if I've misread your intent with this thread or have answered out of turn, I apologize. In the end, I'm sure you'll choose the path that's best for you.

Happy Drumming!

MaryO

The approach & general mindset is totally different for each choice, & it's aligning that choice to my personal capacity that needs a decision from me.

That's exactly what I meant with the bush analogy, you are the only one who can take this decision. :)

However, does challenging yourself mean you have to give up doing what you enjoy? Does it have to be one or the other?

MaryO
Thank you Mary, & no, not speaking out of turn at all. I greatly value your input :) A composite option, as you suggest, is possible. My only issue with that is, I tend to be an "all or nothing" sort of person, so any hybrid would quickly swing one way or another :(

To understand where I'm coming from, for anyone who hasn't seen my playing, here it is, good & bad bits all together;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wx8PZO6Yiw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBWAS3kFQM&feature=related

That by definition, is the most accurate description I ever heard concerning my hands, even after all these years :)
Yes, I'll go with that, mine even look like tractors!

Attachments

• user24801_pic6037_1319107931.jpg
    user24801_pic6037_1319107931.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 415
Crossroads sounds good to me. I'm still trying to find the on ramp. I would love to have a weekly gig to play for and prepare for. I have reached a point where I don't think gigging will happen for me and my time drumming is spent doing mostly what I know and not too much of what I need work on. I have always enjoyed playing drums and playing along to music and find the stress relief from my 9 to 5 to be a wonderful thing. I hope you either solve, or learn to accept your dilemma whichever you choose.

So, the question that comes to my mind is - where do you want to be in 5, 10 or 20 years with your drumming. If you can answer any of those then you can set your path. No bad can come from learning more.

I'm in one of those moods today. I've been reviewing where I am right now, & I find both good & bad. Almost to the day, I've been back at playing for 3 years after a 20+ year break. Virtually no practice, just thrown myself back into gigging.

I'm now at the stage where I can hold a gig together with some credibility, yet I'm far from satisfied with my playing. I've fallen into the age old trap of concentrating on what I can do, rather than what I can't do. Just about every skill needed to consistently nail a performance is missing, & I need to get my act together. From my previous playing, I know there's a lot more to offer, but I've had many challenges in my life, some of them hanging onto life itself, so I'm not sure if I have enough challenge capacity left in the batteries. There is no sense of achievement without challenge, so if you want one, it doesn't come without the other.

Andy.

http://garymarcus.com/books/guitarzero.html

I am exactly the same but different. I am much newer to drumming and had been making great progress until a move, new job, new house, new city, new life, new stress, same old insane schedule. I heard this guy on NPR talking about picking up music late in life. Not all applies but he spends a lot of pages on practice. A main theme is that we practice what we are good at. He said a good test is where we get 80% right. Means we get 20% wrong and have to keep trying. It seams like two separate events to me, I enjoy when I play with Muso's and I get better at what I am doing.

My understanding is the easy route goes to point A, the Hard Route goes to point B. They are not the same place for me.

Again, thanks for codifying ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/codify -Had to look this up) this discussion.

And here is the best part about DW: It's free, comes with the Internet.

Have a great day,

John

Last edited:
I have been there also. I say just enjoy the ride now, you have earned the right to play without a self depriving monkey on your back!

Andy, it seems like you're making this out to be some sort of dichotomy, either continue the way you have been, or make a huge commitment (the hard road) and start practicing like a madman. It really isn't like that at all, start practicing 10 minutes a day! And of course, that means 10 minutes of FOCUSED practice, on the thing that you're the worst at. You don't have to change much at all about your daily routine at all, its incremental. However, it makes a huge difference in your playing, even after only a short time. Also, it will help whet your appetite for more demanding practice routines ;) I know that once you get started, you'll want to do more, haha. But honestly, even with ten minutes, you can get that sense of achievement, just do something HARD.

I definitely think that your "easy route" is the hard route if its causing you frustration. Practice, but just a little bit! Its rewarding in its own right. And keep in mind that you're more technically advanced than you let on, or perhaps believe yourself ;)

Oh, and there's also fun ways to go about this, do you have groove essentials 1.0 and 2.0? If not, get them. They'll stretch you, but Tommy Igoe is fun to work with, and the whole experience is laid back. On the other hand, there's enough info and practice material there to last you a lifetime!

Well if your at a crossroads go sell your soul to the devil and skip all this.

However when faced with decisions like this I find picking one way and seeing if you like it or not works. Try some structure for a bit, its easy enough to go back. Good luck and great drumming, (you seriously underestimate yourself)

Thank you Mary, & no, not speaking out of turn at all. I greatly value your input :) A composite option, as you suggest, is possible. My only issue with that is, I tend to be an "all or nothing" sort of person, so any hybrid would quickly swing one way or another :(

To understand where I'm coming from, for anyone who hasn't seen my playing, here it is, good & bad bits all together;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wx8PZO6Yiw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBWAS3kFQM&feature=related

Yes, I'll go with that, mine even look like tractors!

Well, despite what you may feel about how to progress personally as a drummer, I think you have the right attitude. I look forward to checking out your video offerings to the forum. I've noticed that you are very generous with your time by putting in a good word to the up and coming drummers and their various videos.

Back