Setups & Songwriting

Guitar Guy

New guy here. Want to get a drum kit soon, but first I want to learn as much about them as possible.

I want either some books or YouTube vids that cover these two things:

1) how the drums/cymbals are placed and set up. I'd like to see something where it shows a 1st person view, and shows the the different amount of toms and crash cymbals for example and why people choose to have that many over another number.

2) drums as applied to songwriting. As in, X beat with the ride cymbal for one section of the song, then Y cymbal for the next section. I see drummers change it up all the time and want to learn more about that.

Anyone got some good links for this?

Hi, and welcome.

Have a look at this: http://drummagazine.com/back-to-basics-how-to-set-up-your-drums/

The choice regarding the number of toms and crashes is entirely individual and has a lot to do with how many you possess in the first place! It really doesn't matter and if anybody tells you what you should or shouldn't have, they're talking bollocks. To contradict myself: As a minimum, you'll need one rack tom and one crash. I use one rack tom and two different crashes, one on the right and one on the left, because I want a variation in sound (I quite often use them consecutively) and because sometimes it's more convenient to use my right hand and sometimes it's more convenient to use my left so I just go for the crash that's easier to reach.

As for the bit about cymbals in (rock) songs, drummers mostly use the hi hats for the main groove/verse and move to the ride for the chorus, but this is merely a norm. Again, there's no hard and fast "should" except that you should play what's right for the music, taking into account what the rest of the band are doing. It's music, you need to feel it, not follow a list of instructions - although a starting point can be helpful.

1) how the drums/cymbals are placed and set up. I'd like to see something where it shows a 1st person view, and shows the the different amount of toms and crash cymbals for example and why people choose to have that many over another number.
I've found that this is a pretty good video from Drumeo about setting up your kit. Lots of good angles and what not.
https://youtu.be/5-QdeS4EYdE

I think the drumeo video is pretty good, because while it starts with a pretty standard setup, it also goes in to how to setup a bigger more involved setup as well.

As for why people choose one setup over others? It is personal preference based on how someone plays, wants/is willing to carry to a gig, and what sounds they are after. This can be as small as a kick, snare, 1 tom, hihat, and ride to as big as 6+ toms, 2 bass drums, 12 cymbals, etc.

Personally I play what they call a 1 up 1 down setup. 1 rack tom, 1 floor tom, bass drum, snare. I use two crashes, hihat, and ride. I find that does what I need. In the past I've played other setups. I had a 7 piece at one time, 3 rack toms, 2 floor toms, bass, and snare.
2) drums as applied to songwriting. As in, X beat with the ride cymbal for one section of the song, then Y cymbal for the next section. I see drummers change it up all the time and want to learn more about that.

Anyone got some good links for this?
Now as for this, the best thing you can do is just listen to as much music as you can. Actively listen to the drums, and you will start to hear similarities. Eventually you gain some mental building blocks you can use.

Back