18 inch bass drum?

drummingman

Gold Member
Are there any rock or metal drummers that play an 18 inch diameter bass drum, like an 18x18 or 18x16? And I mean someone that doesn't trigger their bass drum.

I can't recall any rock or metal drummers that use an 18 inch kick. I'd like to try an 18x18 or an 18x16 in a metal context.

Well, not sure if this guy qualifies, but Bev Bevan of ELO said in an old interview that all those ELO albums were made with an 18" bass drum just because it records better than his bigger bass drums....

I don't think the size matters that much. I've heard 20'' outrun some 24'' and 22''s in sound So a 18'' should possibly be great. But again, many metal bass drums, sound like planks - i guess im able to get a 18'' to sound like a plank of wood. I Also think i can make a 18'' bassdrum to sound very open, pure and dark, with the right tuning and head selection.

Doesn't primus use an 18" bass drum too? I love mine. I've been looking for a bigger one to use in my rock band only because I have a superkick 2 on mine and it's a little quiet with that head. I assume miced it would break ribs, but you know we always find an excuse for more gear!

On my next kit I might get an 18 inch bass. That is if it's loud enough and has a full body punch. I'll have to hear one to see what I think.

Back