Ahead alloy drum sticks

Bluesteel357

Does anyone use these? I am considering trying them but I'm kinda worried about bending cymbals and punching through heads with them. Also if you do use them which type do you use and how is the feel of them compared to oak and hickory sticks.

If you try the search fuction, you will find several threads about Ahead sticks. I use them. I have been using them for about 8 years now. They are different as far as feel goes when compared to wood, of course.They are always perfect as far as balance goes meaning one stick isn't heavier than the other. I have never damaged a cymabal or a head... ever. I use the 2B model and also like the 5A and 5B models as well. They aren't for everyone. Some love them, some hate them. Give them a try.

With proper playing technique you shouldn't have a problem with your cymbals or heads. Like bluesteel said they do have a different feel compared to wood. If you break a ton of sticks they may be the way to go, I played them for a while and the one thing that brought me back to wood was the sound on the hats and the ride, I just really preferred the sound of a wood tip on both.

You should know that they are NOT invincible. I once played with a guy who did too many rimshots... busted one of his Ahead sticks after about three months. Believe it or not, this guy didn't really break many wood sticks, though... and he even swore by those Zildjian sticks that break so easily for everyone else.

They are just hollow aluminum rods, after all.

On the topic of wood tips, I'm sort of surprised that Ahead hasn't figured out a way to attach wood tips and shoulders onto their metal rods. It might attract more business if they could figure out how to do it correctly.

You should know that they are NOT invincible. I once played with a guy who did too many rimshots... busted one of his Ahead sticks after about three months. Believe it or not, this guy didn't really break many wood sticks, though... and he even swore by those Zildjian sticks that break so easily for everyone else.

They are just hollow aluminum rods, after all.

On the topic of wood tips, I'm sort of surprised that Ahead hasn't figured out a way to attach wood tips and shoulders onto their metal rods. It might attract more business if they could figure out how to do it correctly.

Yes, they can and do break but in general will last a lot longer than your average wood stick. I have saved a load of money by using Aheads. I like the idea about the wood tips. Good point.

the guy in the drum department of my local music store told me that using Ahead sticks on some cymbal companie's cymbals will void the warranty for the cymbals. does anyone know if this is true?

in any case, metal sticks + hard hitting = broken cymbals. somethings gotta give. the sticks wont give, but the cymbals will. but if you don't play hard then they might be ok to use.

the guy in the drum department of my local music store told me that using Ahead sticks on some cymbal companie's cymbals will void the warranty for the cymbals. does anyone know if this is true?

in any case, metal sticks + hard hitting = broken cymbals. somethings gotta give. the sticks wont give, but the cymbals will. but if you don't play hard then they might be ok to use.

They won't hurt your cymbals. And i think that the guy at your drum shop has no clue what he is talking about. How is a cymbal manufacturer going to be able to tell that you use Ahead drum sticks on your cymbals?

I could see that if it was just aluminum drumsticks hitting a bronze cymbal. It's not, though. It's a thick plastic sheath hitting a bronze cymbal. If you're dumb enough to keep hitting the cymbal after your plastic sheaves break and fall off, well, you're not very wise.

I could see that if it was just aluminum drumsticks hitting a bronze cymbal. It's not, though. It's a thick plastic sheath hitting a bronze cymbal. If you're dumb enough to keep hitting the cymbal after your plastic sheaves break and fall off, well, you're not very wise.

I agree with this 100%.

I used them for a few months. The price of sticks, the cost of re-sleeving and re-tipping them, and the added headache of calling in warranty after warranty actually made them more expensive than wood sticks. They also have a weaker rebound, terrible shoulder-on-ride-bell sound and next to no cross stick sound.

If I played only metal and DID NOT have a history of breaking these nearly as often as wood sticks - even with proper care - I would play them, as they sound great on toms.

Don't buy them if you want an indestructable stick... they aren't.

There is no such thing as an indestructable stick. Ahead does not make a claim that ther are indestructable.

I have the Lars Ulrich Signature Ahead drum sticks.
I have to admit that they do mark up cymbals, and leave dents in drumheads, but you will never hear a better sound in cymbals.(expecially on rides and hats).
They aren't indestructable, but they might as well be.

Also, a good warm up is to use these for a while, then switch to wooden.
It makes a bit of a difference.

Really? I have been getting the loudest rim shots ever.. in the 8 years that I hae been using them.
Off course you can play rishots with them, but they will bend and/or break. When thin aluminium meets steel at high velocity, it's simple physics.
Most people don't like to invest thrity or more dollars into a pair of sticks and then break it, even if it takes a little longer than with wooden sticks. It seems to be a wise decision to avoid Ahead sticks most hits on the snare you make are rimshots.

has anyone else had problems with heads of ahead sticks coming off
the threads in mine keep breaking and just like 10mins ago i almost broke a perfectly good snare skin when the end came off and i hit the skin with the metal inside
how can i stop this happening?

and know you can't wreak the cymbals just by hitting them with the stink but I'm afraid of damaging it with the metal part of the stink at the bottom when i choke with one hand.

and just wanted to say that everything else about these stinks is great compared to wooden sticks. they take a little to get used to but iv broken so many wooden sticks and these ahead's have lasted me ages

Back