Have you seen this DW snare before?

riding60

My apologies if this is not the correct forum to ask this, but it seemed to be the closest.
Has anybody seen this particular DW snare before? I purchased it back in 2000 (new) for $675.00 and I’m thinking of placing it up for sale on eBay sometime in the near future. I did quite a few searches on the Internet and on eBay for any images of this drum and I have yet to run across any!

It says Edge drum on the receipt but it does not have the same type of throw off that is now on the Edge snares. The reason I’m asking is that I don’t really have a good handle on what price to ask as I can’t find any info on it, much less any photo’s anywhere. Aside from the pictures I’ve included, it is in mint condition, 13 X 5, brass and Maple shell, cast hoops, Mother of Pearl finish and weighs in at a hefty 16 lbs. I believe the hoops and hardware are plated, but the top and bottom brass shell sections are solid 5/16” thick brass. For what it’s worth, the date of it being made (which is printed on the inside of the shell) is Oct 01 1999. Any help or input would be much appreciated on this drum and what a reasonable asking price would be when I decide to place it up for sale.

Attachments

• Drum1.jpg
    Drum1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,078
  • Drum2.jpg
    Drum2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 628
  • Drum3.jpg
    Drum3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 629
  • Drum4.jpg
    Drum4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,181
but it does not have the same type of throw off that is now on the Edge snares.

DW has had at least 3 different throw offs over the years. The current one has only been in production for a few years now.

I believe you have the original throw off, or at least the one they used in the 90's

I don't recall exactly what year they switched from the 1st design to the 2nd design, but I want to say it was around 2002. Then, as I said, 2 or 3 years ago, they switched to the current throw off design.

Nice DW Edge snare with Mother of Pearl - finish ply. I imagine that was a special order finish as the Edge centers can all be customized. Which is why you won't find many or any that look like it.

Nowadays, most DW snares come with the magnetic throw and 3 position butt plate so definite upgrades/updates there.

I watch ebay daily (2 years now) for the DW Edge offerings. Your more popular size is the 6x14, but it all depends on who is bidding. Last month a gorgeous 6x14 broken glass EDGE sold for $585. Looks like the snare was less than 5 years old based on the throw off.

I've seen the 13x6 size go for close to the same amount. It all depends on how fast you want to sell. It's not quite vintage yet and the size might price it around the low to mid $500's.
I could be off there, since I've mainly watched the 6x14's.

+1^.Just watch the current sales on Ebay for a while,and search the COMPLETED auctions to get an idea of what the current market value is.

Sellers often ask unrealistic prices on ebay,and their items just sit there forever.What dollar amount you purchased an item for, is often irrelevant in the resale value,especially in custom made drums.These kits which cost the buyer thousands of dollars when first built,only go for a few hundred when resold.

The good side is that DW hold their resale value well.Good luck.

Steve B

Yes, I’ve already sold some items on eBay over the years. I just recently sold a Manu Katche (Yamaha) snare at a very reasonable price. It amazes me at some of the prices some people expect to get, but then again, they don’t sell so that in and of itself tells you a lot. The only reason I had some doubt as to what to charge is that I had never seen this particular snare after doing a search on it and was not sure if it was unusual or not, and therefore unsure as to how to advertise it.

I’m 65 and due to health reasons I can no longer play. I have a very large set of Pearl Masters, hardware, cymbals, etc. that I must sell, but I figured that it would be best to sell the snare’s separately as a snare, in my opinion, is an individual choice, i.e. just because one may have a DW set, etc., does not necessarily mean that you wish to use a DW snare. Anyway, I really appreciate the input and the information given. ;)

~Phill~

Back