my drumset is not loud enough

chris4355

I was told by my band members a couple of days ago that my drum set is not loud enough.

I am currently using a PDP CX Fusion kit.

Evan G2 Coated heads on all toms and snare.

5B sticks.

I hit the snare with rim shots all the time, to keep up with the band.
-----

I was a little surprised by that comment, considering it never was a problem before.

I told them its either the room (we play in a very dead room, a garage full of stuff), or that they need to turn down their equipment.

My drums are fighting against a bass cab, 2 guitar amps and a PA system.

-----

I'm wondering what you guys think about this, because when we talked about it as a band, it sort of turned into a bit of an argument. I just don't believe drums are ever "not loud enough", they just need to turn down their volumes on their amps.

Haha, what a rare problem. Never had any complaints that I wasn't loud enough!

Sounds like they probably do need to turn down, but what sort of tuning/dampening are you using on your drums?

Your band is too loud. Like PQ, I never had that complaint before and I used to be a basher (you don't have to be strong to be loud).

The guys can crank up to 11 when they do a serious gig where the kit is mic'd up. Until then they should play for the room - and unless you're in an auditorium, that volume will never be such that a rimshotting drummer isn't "loud enough".

They have volume controls. You don't. If they can't hear a drumset over the sound of their guitars, I'd say they're definitely playing too loud.

There's only so much you can do give your drums more attack & volume before you need to be miked, or the others need to turn down. A clear head will yield more attack than a coated one, so that's a start. Tuning your tom resos higher will help the toms stand out. Getting some rim on the snare is a good thing for its attack/volume. And the kick will have more attack if you 1) use a hard beater, and 2) pad the drum so the attack is more obvious.

But the others may just have to turn it down anyway.

Bermuda

Everyone else already hit the nail on the head. Play for the room. That's funny that they want you to play louder! I don't have that problem either.

It's the drums that set the volume level for the rest of the band in any given room since you can only control the volume so much with how hard you play. In our practice room, my band won't let me start until we all have earplugs in...

So are the other band members deaf already, or wearing earplugs? :)

ok so its not just me here. I was beginning to think my drums really were not loud enough for a second.

My drums are tuned at a reasonable pitch compared to their diameter.

And I am using a Pork Pie Little Squealer snare.

They think that buying a new drum set will solve the problem... I told them to turn down their volumes but they didn't listen

hahaha! its funny you ask.

because they also want me to remove my ear plugs, saying its keeping me from hearing everything.

I hope they enjoy their tinnitus and ruined hearing. In general, they seem to be in need of a reality check.

but buying another drumset is the only solution! haha j/k but I'm all about high volume in crappy venues. Ah, the world of metal nobody cares about.

I'm currently running a 15x12 snare that will cut through a literal wall of amps. Something like that would deafen and shut the rest of the band up forever and make them regret asking you to go louder. I couldn't see myself ever playing a fusion sized set live being in the type of band I'm in, but It sounds like 3 amps and a PA shouldn't be an issue with a standard fusion size set.Is each guitar amp an 8x12 full stack? Is the PA just for vocals? or are they all running through it too?

They think that buying a new drum set will solve the problem... I told them to turn down their volumes but they didn't listen

they also want me to remove my ear plugs, saying its keeping me from hearing everything.

Sounds like a great deal! After all, getting them to turn their knobs slightly would be an outrageous imposition. Shame on you for even asking, let alone wearing those sissy ear plugs!

Spending $3000 and going deaf is the least you can do for these Rock Gods. You should be lugging all their gear and paying for rehearsals as well. You're just a drummer. Know your place.

:)

if you guys really have to be that loud you could try micing your drums through your PA. you could start with the bass drum. in my experience that's usually the toughest thing to hear over a wall of amplified guitars. i find it hard to believe that your rim shots aren't loud enough. rim shots are loud!

If they can't hear you, then they need to turn down. In my basement I give the two guitarist's their own mix that they listen to in their headphones. Before that my drums were drowning them out. Now everyone is happy with what they want to hear in their own mix.

Do not take out your hearing protection for these rock stars. If anything, you would play louder with them in, because you won't be able to hear yourself as well, so you would play harder to make up for it.

Tell them it is practice, not a rock concert at some big venue. You need to play as loud as the room dictates.

tell them to turn down

99% of bands rehearse too loud anyway.....and sound much better when they turn down a little

Buy them some hairspray, mascara, and a full wall mirror to play to, they wont even notice you anymore.

LOL! Coffee out the nose sucks.

Since your overly concerned bandmates seem to know what's best for you, have they given you any suggestions on which set you should get that would satisfy them? Probably a REALLY expensive one.

I've looked at a lot of drum catalogs and I can't seem to find the decibal ratings on any of them. Where are they?
If I'd known that, I think I would have gotten a quieter kit. Mines pretty loud and hurts my ears.

Are your cymbals loud enough, or do you need to get new louder cymbals too?

if you guys really have to be that loud you could try micing your drums through your PA. you could start with the bass drum. in my experience that's usually the toughest thing to hear over a wall of amplified guitars. i find it hard to believe that your rim shots aren't loud enough. rim shots are loud!

actually they complain about the bass drum the most... I try to explain them its hard to hear a bass drum when its literary 8 feet away from a bass amp, and 2 guitar amps...

LOL! Coffee out the nose sucks.

Since your overly concerned bandmates seem to know what's best for you, have they given you any suggestions on which set you should get that would satisfy them? Probably a REALLY expensive one.

I've looked at a lot of drum catalogs and I can't seem to find the decibal ratings on any of them. Where are they?
If I'd known that, I think I would have gotten a quieter kit. Mines pretty loud and hurts my ears.

Are your cymbals loud enough, or do you need to get new louder cymbals too?

i think the cymbals are good...

Maybe you should get them to try earphones too...then they'd at least be aware that it's actually much clearer to listen to loud music whilst wearing them, at least in a live setting.

they hate using them

but buying another drumset is the only solution! haha j/k but I'm all about high volume in crappy venues. Ah, the world of metal nobody cares about.

I'm currently running a 15x12 snare that will cut through a literal wall of amps. Something like that would deafen and shut the rest of the band up forever and make them regret asking you to go louder. I couldn't see myself ever playing a fusion sized set live being in the type of band I'm in, but It sounds like 3 amps and a PA shouldn't be an issue with a standard fusion size set.Is each guitar amp an 8x12 full stack? Is the PA just for vocals? or are they all running through it too?

The bass is a half stack, both guitar amps are combo amps with double speakers.

one is a crate 100+ watt, the other is a marshall JVM tube amp...

PA is just for vocals.

-----------------

To be fair, as far as being band members, they take criticism from the drum department and let me take part in the song writing. I'm kind of the Paul Mcartney of the band, according to them... They aren't the types of guitarists who shun drummers opinions.

They are just very uneducated about musical equipment and how it all works. They don't even put on their own strings... But I really really dig the music, so I suppose its ok right?

Back