How to find a band!

Hey, I am having trouble finding a band. I have been in bands since 13, but now I am 20 at my University and having a hard time finding a band. Craigslist and such seem to be duds, and most open mics don't have drumsets! How do you guys reccomend me finding a band (Jazz, Blues, Rock).

Does anyone you know play any instruments? Like friends?
That's an easy way to start- starting a band with the people you know.

Pretty much my connections with all my current musicians friends has burnt up through drugs and alcohol and such (Their extreme usage). Also I am mainly looking for a Jazz/Funk/Blues or rocak band.

Okay, get a good, solid idea of what music you want to play. Do you write music? If not, put together a list of songs that represents the music you like. Get your vision together in other words.
Then you've got to put the word out, which is relatively easy in this internet age. Look for players, make that a priority. When you find one, grab him. Do this all the time. You need to be out on the street, as it were, you need to keep your ear to the rail.
Do you have a place to play? VERY important. PA system? VERY important. (And don't forget the beer.)
You have to organize, you have to be the guy that makes it happen. There's a lot to think about. Otherwise you'll just be hanging around waiting for someone else to put something together. Might as well be you, right?

what University? Are you taking music? do they have a music program/ department? Look for musicians at your school with flyers and cutaway tabs with your phone number. If your school has no music program, go to a neighboring school that does. Check out your local music store and get to know the sales staff, they're pretty well plugged into the "scene" and sometimes know who's looking for whom. Back before al gore invented the internet, i used to go down to "the big board" at the local music store to look at everyone else's ads. Myspace also has a bunch of musicians, start making friends with local bands on myspace, usually other bands know what local bands need people to play

hey,

this has worked for me a good few times now:

i use perthbands (a local music website) and create a thread in the forum. I tell them what i do, and what I am looking for. I found two good bands through that. So maybe there is a similar website for your area. Hope this helps.

We've got a Melbourne website for musos that's highly useful (apart from the fact that the only people who post on it are metal bands or teenage punk-pop), your city might sport something similar?

Otherwise go check out the music department of your uni (if it has one) they'll often have bulletin boards with 'musos wanted'. Or go check out your local music shops, they often have similar bulletin boards.

Back