career in drumming?!

fmass92

I'm only a junior in high school, but college is right around the corner and I'm interested in pursuing a career that's music, or drum, related. I've always found recording drums interesting. Something about using all the mics and then those huge soundboards and adjusting everything to get the sound just perfect is something I've always wished I knew how to do.

I've never actually had any experience with recording drums except for using 2 USB microphones and using Adobe Audition on my computer and editing the files in there, which is so simple compared to the soundboard (if that's even what it's called, mixer maybe?)

I was just wondering if I could go to college and learn how to do stuff like this. I don't what it would be called or anything so if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Your best bet is to intern at a local studio, where you'll have a chance to learn everything in a real-world situation with a wide variety of drums, drummers, engineers and producers. You will learn a lot more than you can in a classroom situation, and interning is regarded as a better foot in the door than taking classes or even a degree from a school.

Bermuda

Go to Berklee College of Music. I am not a fan of all of their programs but I think that particular major is well done. You also get a pile of industry contacts, so I hear anyway. I think you just need to audition on your primary instrument, and they rarely turn anyone down. They also have some online stuff you could try. I think there is a Pro-Tools certification course.

FullSail (Florida) is another program to check out. I visited there once with a friend. Seemed to be a good program. There are other university programs like Northwestern U., NYU, Indiana U., Miami, etc. It is more important to come away with contacts and get certified in Pro-Tools and stuff like that, I think.

You could also just try looking for programs around Nashville, NYC, and L.A.

Go to Berklee. My friend left the classical guitar program at a regular school of music to take the music engineering course at Berklee. He graduated moved to Hollywood and was working at 3 different studios in a matter of days.

I second Bermuda on this one.

I went to Berklee, but I studied composition and performance, not engineering. They do indeed have an excellent production/engineering program but after I graduated I learned almost all of that stuff just from hanging with engineers during sessions and asking questions. I eventually started working occasionally as an assistant at a studio and learned even more.

Back