Taking lessons from a faculty member

thatjazzguy

Hey all!

I am a junior in high school and committed to studying music in college. I am visiting my top choice jazz program in the spring and taking a lesson from the drum teacher/ensemble leader in the jazz department. He asked me what I want to learn in the lesson, and I was stumped. What could I possibly request to go over that would help me get a feel to see if he is the right fit for me? Sorry if this question is oddly specific, I just want to get as much out of this lesson as I can and hope to learn something unique.
Thank you!

I'd suggest you prepare something to play for him and see what he thinks you should/should work on.

Or if it's possible, record yourself playing with a band (in your favourite format: jazz combo, big band whatever) and listen to it with him in the lesson so he has in idea of how you play with other people, time-feel etc.

If neither of those ideas suit I'd ask him what they're looking for in applicants for their school and what you can do to have a favourable audition.

I've studied for years with faculty members at one of my local music universities that hones in on orchestral and jazz studies. These people can generally assess your skills in 15-20 seconds so to some degree no matter what you prepare will be translucent.

Be honest with your presentation so try presenting the best "you". No point of working up a one-time thing that can't be sustained moving forward.

Most are going to want to see how you play time. Your feel and pulse. Get the Meet the Bass Player CD and pick one of those and swing your behind off. Perhaps play one chorus of trading 4's or 8's with yourself with the tracks.

I'd be willing to bet 99% people don't care about chops. Show them you understand musical forms and can play musically. Wanna really knock them out? As a part of your presentation, swing comfortably with the first track on the disc. If you can do that, you may have to pick their jaw up off the ground.

Here's a link to the CD: http://www.allancox.co.uk/allancox/"Meet_The_Bass_Player".html

It costs a little bit but provides a lifetime worth of learning opportunities.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've studied for years with faculty members at one of my local music universities that hones in on orchestral and jazz studies. These people can generally assess your skills in 15-20 seconds so to some degree no matter what you prepare will be translucent.

Be honest with your presentation so try presenting the best "you". No point of working up a one-time thing that can't be sustained moving forward.

Most are going to want to see how you play time. Your feel and pulse. Get the Meet the Bass Player CD and pick one of those and swing your behind off. Perhaps play one chorus of trading 4's or 8's with yourself with the tracks.

I'd be willing to be 99% people don't care about chops. Show them you understand musical forms and can play musically. Wanna really knock them out? As a part of your presentation, swing comfortably with the first track on the disc. If you can do that, you may have to pick their jaw up off the ground.

Great advice!!!

Jeff

Back