Is jazz dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aydee

Platinum Member
gotcha. Obviously photoshpped but more than a grain of truth here?

536472_755799654479_20805377_32950225_1712690987_n.jpg

and since we are here, is it?

Last edited:
Well Poll ... er, Abe ... I note that the sign is written with the Comic Sans typeface. In my experience, precious little written with Comic Sans is worth taking seriously.

"Ruined the natural creativity of some good musicians" ... I take it a player's natural creativity would benefit more from playing backbeats to pop or rock? Funny thought.

Seems the writer is disgruntled by knowing (or knowing of) some good players who shifted to jazz from from pop or rock. Good on 'em, I say. It's not my place to tell anyone what to be play.

Maybe the sign writer is a Rolling Stone journalist? :)

Are you sure? Some people really, really don't like jazz. For all we know they could have trained marksmen hidden around the place ready to shoot at the sound of a walking bassline, spang-a-lang or the sound of an alto sax.

LOL, spilled good coffee..

Jazz dead? I sure hope not since i'm just getting into it. I would probably have taking a long nasty pee against that sign to make a point.

Harry, Im watching your avataar jiggle and Im humming Dizzy's night in Tunisia.. It syncs perfectly!...
And that's exactly why it's there ..... for inspiration. Try Mingus's "Haitian Fight Song".​

Harry, Im watching your avataar jiggle and Im humming Dizzy's night in Tunisia.. It syncs perfectly!

Ok, head officially exploded! First I steal the Pollyana avatar as a joke, but it was way too confusing, so reverted after point made. Now Abe's gone done it, & my head's starting to fail when scanning posts. Then Harry's avatar just pulled the pin out of the grenade! Lucky someone posted some common sense from the city of Toronto, or the men in white coats would be knocking on my door ;)

Harry, Im watching your avataar jiggle and Im humming Dizzy's night in Tunisia.. It syncs perfectly!

And that's exactly why it's there ..... for inspiration. Try Mingus's "Haitian Fight Song".

Hate to disappoint but that's just an illusion like a portrait's eyes following you around the room.

Now Abe's gone done it, & my head's starting to fail when scanning posts.

... Lucky someone posted some common sense from the city of Toronto, or the men in white coats would be knocking on my door ;)

Yeah, I'm ready to skip when I see the roach-on-lap pic.

If Stan was still posting you'd have some explaining to do, lad :)

First I steal the Pollyana avatar as a joke, but it was way too confusing, so reverted after point made. Now Abe's gone done it, & my head's starting to fail when scanning posts.

Since I've been appointed as official Pollyanna's Agent by the once short lived Drummerworld's First Lady, I certainely encourage all members to follow the lead of Andy and Abe by inapropriate use of the avatar of our Queen of this forum, the aforementioned Pollyanna.

Yes indeed, it will cause chaos, confusion, complaints, missings posts and replies, frustration and many more, it will be decidely a challenge to follow who posted what and who replied to whom.

We could display again our "normal" avatars when the real Pollyanna resume her posting on the forum.

If jazz isn't dead yet but there's anything I can do to help it on it's way just let me know :)

Just never got it, seems like a bunch of people self gratifying themselves in public with no paticular direction but just doing it because they think it'll impress others.

Kind of reminds me of some of those satirical quiz shows where the contestants, granted some of them are very intelligent and quick witted but it just seems to me as though their sole purpose of being there is to demonstrate to the world exactly how marvelous and full of themselves they really are.

No offence meant to anyone that likes jazz, and I do appreciate that a lot of the really, really talented musicians come from jazz backgrounds or have an interest in jazz and I know there are lots of people that do like jazz but forums are all about all opinions and that's just my thoughts.

Maybe if I listened to it more I'd "Get into it" but the process of getting there just seems so dire a rope and a rafter have more appeal ........ Haven't even pressed return yet and I can hear the screams from the jazz fans saying hey ..... I've got a rope ...... anyone got a rafter :)

... seems like a bunch of people self gratifying themselves in public with no paticular direction but just doing it because they think it'll impress others.

Depends what you listen to. This song was written in response to a KKK bombing of a black church in Alabama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOjxBuwBUEE

They're not showing off, they're telling a story from the heart. That's jazz at its best. Whether you connect with the stories they tell or not ... that's just taste and inclination. Personally, I love everything about this performance.

Not sure if jazz is dead but I wish some of the critters in those avatars were.

Does that cockroach look like King Tut the pharoah or is it just me?!

Yes, Herni, I hope what Andy has started and I've followed suit is the humble beginings of a mighty revolution that will multipy be remembered in the decades to come on Drummerworld.. when drummers of all walks ( shuffles, and sambas too ) ...will rally & unite under the herald of Pollyanna's avataar.

.... To celebrate a single, mostly anonymous poster that has captured the collective imagination of the entire forum to a degree that I could never have imagined when I joined here, 4 or so years ago.

Back on topic. I think jazz died a while ago and reincarnated as hi hop. Whatchathink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back