What drumset should i buy?

Zimmo

Hi, im new to this forum. I've been playing drums for now almost 2 years and i want to get my second drumset. I have heard and experienced that complete (cymbals and hrdware included) are not as good as they seem so i decided to buy a shell pack and buy everything else separately. I have gotten every decicion done except for the drumset shell pack i should buy( my total costs, that i want are 700-900 dlls.) ive gotten down to these sets:

-Gretsch energy 399dlls http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...ums-energy-5-piece-shell-pack-with-tom-holder

-ddrum reflex 499 dlls. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/ddrum-reflex-5-piece-shell-pack/361184

- mapex horizon hx 499 dlls. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...n-hx-5-piece-shell-pack-w-free-8x7-tom/713175

-pearl vision birch artisan2 499 dlls. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...n-birch-artisan-ii-standard-shell-pack/365417

If u guys could help me with this i would appreciate a lot thanks! Oh, i should also probably say that the gretsch ive heard they come with somewhat good heads. Especially the bass drum, comes with a Sound dampened head

Last edited:
I would go ahead and get the Tama set.

Sorry, that was rude. We get a question like this every other day....almost.

I really don't know what is the better set to buy. Just play what appeals to you and which one has the mounts that you like. They are all very comparable as far as wood goes. 90% of your drum sound will be your choice of heads and how you tune them.

Last edited:
I'd go with either the Mapex one or the Gretsch kit. :)

Yeah I took a look at your choices and they are nice ones but each one offers such great things. The Gretch offers a virgin bass drum and nice tom depths but it's poplar and only has 5 lugs on the rack toms. I personally would go with the white Gretch if I chose to. The ddrum is decent, it's cool that it has a 22x20 virgin kick with nice tom mounts, I would go with the black version on that one. The Mapex is nice, I like those depths, I like the tom mounts and what's not to like about getting a free tom to make it a 6 pc. I would go with the silver one if I chose the Mapex. Then the Pearl has the standard tom depths and widths, which I sort of wish I had a 13" rack tom at times but then I don't really like the finish nor the mounts.

Tough choice for sure and I don't want to influence you by my thoughts as it's you who will be sitting at the kit but if I was chosing one I'd say either the Mapex or ddrum. With the Mapex it would be nice to mess around with the 8" tom within the fills and the ddrum looks like a solid entry kit with nice hardware on the drums and a nice black finish with the virgin kick. TBH if it wasn't for the Gretch only having 5 lugs on the rack toms, I would of said Gretch or Mapex. I really like that Gretch in white.

Anyway I'm ramblin on but those are just my thoughts.....

I have a not very good pdp Z5 series, it was 300 buck with hardware and cymbals so you can imagine haha. Thats why i really want to try new brands and a higher price kit.

Pdpx7drummer, thanks! Those were my favorite ones and the gretsch. I also noticed that the toms are also virgin on the ddrum kit? Is that better?

Last edited:
Pdpx7drummer, thanks! Those were my favorite ones and the gretsch. I also noticed that the toms are also virgin on the ddrum kit? Is that better?

No problem at all and yeah that white Gretch just looks classic huh? Just too bad about it having 5 lugs on the toms. Actually DO NOT let me scare you away from the Gretch, I, me, personally wouldn't go for 5 lugs on a drum set unless it's a special type of drum of some kind. The word is, the less lugs you have the harder it is to make it sound good as there is a bigger space between lugs on the drum head and can give you a lot more inconsistencies when tuning. Though seeing as how you are on a budget and want something nice to beat on, that you won't be playing with live or recording with, the Gretch would be ok I suppose if you really like the looks of it. If you look up my thread about wearing ear plugs not just for protection but for an EQ'd sound you will see you can go that route to enjoy your drums a bit more if they are a bit more on the cheaper end.

As for the ddrum having virgin toms, as well as the Mapex and Pearl, yeah I mean it can't hurt and can only help them resonate a bit more. I don't know HOW much more but it can't hurt. I personally don't like how the Pearl toms are mounted, I believe the mount pulls against the top of the hoops. I would think that's not too great of a design and would cause the head not to stay tuned for very long, among other things. Not sure on that though, which is why I chose the ddrums or Mapex sets.

Tough choices man but I'm sure with either of them, learning how to tune and just learning over all how to play will be fun and just fine. Good luck with your decision, post back when or if you decide and then post up some pics of it when you get it!

PDP

Not sure of the setup you want, but if you're willing to go $900 max I'd opt for Ludwig Club Dates or Gretsch Renown (might be closer to $1,000).

Back