McGyvering a kit on a gig

Stickman

Silver Member
K.. this is really rare.. but ever show up to a gig and suddenly realize you left a piece of equipment at home? You start in 15 minutes and driving home is not an option because its a 30 minute drive. So put on your McGyver hat and come up with something fast..

This happened twice over about 20 years - and last night was one of them!

The first time I forgot my hihat stand.. so I stuck the cymbals on a cymbal stand and clamped them together. Just used accents in place of open close.

.. and last night, I stripped down my kit to a basic 'one up one down' tom setup.. and left a few cymbals out - including the stand attached to the mounted tom holder.
Get to the gig and NO TOM HOLDER! So what to do..
Solution:
- my floor tom is mounted on a spike/stand, so I used the spike/stand for the side tom. Now what to do about the floor tom???
- I found a plastic milk crate in the bar kitchen and sat the tom on the open end... sounded great - just resting on the rims and the right height. Then needed a way to keep the tom from sliding off. Don't like duct tape, and wire or string not available - so stuck an upright drum stick in each corner of the crate holes.. so it was pinned in place.Then found a door stop to slide underneath to angle it a bit. Problem solved!

Any other goofy McGyverisms you've had to improvise with over the years?

I had the strap break on my kick pedal during the gig. I had to run out to my car and grab an old flip-flop to use. Lucky they weren't the crappy plastic flip-flops. I cut a strap from the flip-flop and used that to temporarily fix it. It got me through the gig.

Thats a pretty genius fix right there Zeph. My dumb ass woulda prolly just kicked the bass drum head, which of course wouldn't really work so great.

Great going moxman!!!
Love it.

I had the strap break on my kick pedal during the gig. I had to run out to my car and grab an old flip-flop to use. Lucky they weren't the crappy plastic flip-flops. I cut a strap from the flip-flop and used that to temporarily fix it. It got me through the gig.

Genius!

Never mind MacGyver that's straight up A Team

Back