A Possible Gig with Acoustic Guitars - A Query

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I may have an opportunity to play with a band that plays acoustic versions of music on guitar(s) and bass.

I don't have all the pertinent information yet - this is all in the very early stages - but I'm assuming they play acoustic-electric guitars and are amplified (I only know what I know through a very brief e-mail… and it ain't much).

Anyway, I've never played along with acoustic instruments before - only amplified electric compositions… read - drumming to prerecorded music. Do you have to handle the dynamics of drumming differently (like not thinking I'm John Bonham - I know that)?

I'm definitely charting new territory here, so any advice would be appreciated.

Gracias!

are they amped acoustic guitars? if so, not totally 'unplugged' and play as per normal.
if they are truly unplugged your dynamics have to be on their best. to play quieter - many threads on here for tips.
smaller sticks and light touch is mostly whats needed. dark cymbals can help too.

also the venue size is key - small or big?
if small, you may need to pad your bass drum (shudder!) or even blanket it. i've used a thin dish cloth on snare (shudder!). you can use blaster sticks but of course thats a differnt sound too.
lastly - there's always brushes! good brushwork...ahhh nothing like it ..so finesse.
i would say playing quiet on acoustic drums is one of the ultimate challenges of the instrument. good luck.

As a drummer and guitarist, I will tell you no. You have to play within the environment you are playing in so it doesn't matter whether the guitar is electric or acoustic amplified you have to play the music so it's cohesive with the other members. Check out some Crosby, Stills & Nash as well as The Eagles and America and you'll see what I mean.

are they amped acoustic guitars? if so, not totally 'unplugged' and play as per normal.
if they are truly unplugged your dynamics have to be on their best. to play quieter - many threads on here for tips.
smaller sticks and light touch is mostly whats needed. dark cymbals can help too.

also the venue size is key - small or big?
if small, you may need to pad your bass drum (shudder!) or even blanket it. i've used a thin dish cloth on snare (shudder!). you can use blaster sticks but of course thats a differnt sound too.
lastly - there's always brushes! good brushwork...ahhh nothing like it ..so finesse.
i would say playing quiet on acoustic drums is one of the ultimate challenges of the instrument. good luck.

Actually, leave the drums as open as possible, particularly the bass drum. A powerstroke or Force2 setup on both sides, no hole, 3" wide felt strips front and back, batter head 1 turn each lig above wrinkle. Practise the "constant release" method with your pedal. As far as sticks, VF Rutes are wonderful.

When we do acoustic shows, which is not that often I prefer hand drums, cajon, or my electric set. When I use the electric set I also use some of my smaller cymbals .... like a 16" for a ride.

I play open mics twice a week. I'm always playing to acoustic guitars. I use smaller drums, in a jazz/bop configuration. 12" 14" 18" bass with 14" snare. But I tune them deeper than a jazzer would. I also use all kinds of Hot Rods, Rutes, Vater Whips, 7A sticks and Fat Cat brushes. The Fat Cat brushes are my faves when sticks won't do. They get a good fat sound with less volume. Play around and see what works. With the right tuning, a bit of muffling and the right sticks you can get a nice fat thick backbeat without loud volume. Play with a lighter touch. You can still get a nice feel hitting lighter, just be conscious of dynamics, Tap those cymbals and let then open up naturally, don't bash them, and let the ride get washy to fill up the space with sound. Also a good shaker can replace the high hat on softer stuff. Remember sometimes less is more. Have fun!

+1 on rods/rutes. Don't rule out brushes. I use dampening rings too in small coffee-house settings. This is where the K Light Flat Ride excels. I also place a large felt on the top of the high hat bottom (in the cup) to mellow it some.
Dynamics are really where it's at.
Have fun!

Back