Thinking of Selling Gretsch - Doubt it will get played

musicman77

Oh well, had great plans to play a back beat for my kid who plays the tenor sax in high school. Now she's off to college soon and it never happened. The idea of playing the drums alone in the garage is not terribly appealing. We were supposed to play together...
I probably spread myself a bit too thin with all the instruments I want to learn to play, not be all that good, just be able to play. Remnants of a mid life crisis I guess.

So here sits a Gretsch Catalina jazz kit, with all the hardware and god knows what else.
Just rambling a bit I guess, but I just don't know if I will ever sit on the throne and learn it.
Still have the guitars, harmonica, violin, trumpet, clarinet, banjo, mandolin to to through.
Luckily I can play the sax...

I might put it out for the garage sale soon, or maybe see if the high school band director could use it, or knows a student who could use it..

Thx for listening, just not sure if I want to give up yet.

Craig

OK Buddy I'm gonna talk you down here...You gotta think about your wife and family...if there is not a drum set around..where will you get the rhythm from? Good God man, get a grip, it's not that bad...Don't throw it all away...think of the kids....

Man, I'd love to have a complete drumset! I have 9 guitars but rarely touch them at the moment, focusing on drums. I say keep what you have ;-)

I an eduated guitarplayer that`s lately been seriously into drums. I also play woodwinds and plan to pick up a whole host of traditional instruments. I don`t see the problem here. I made a choice that I spend money and time doing what I like. I have reasonable expenses on other stuff, I don`t follow fashion and I`ll never buy an expensive car or anything like that. This is what makes me happy so I made it my priority. I sell equipment I don`t use, but I`d never sell all my guitars. Need at least one to actually play guitar, right?

If you really don`t want it, give it to someone you know who`d appreciate it.

I know the feeling because I have been having some meltdowns also as of late.
Everyone's gone and I am sitting here in a house full of drums.
I have begun to sell off gear that I no longer need and downsize.

In your case, you play the Sax, What if a bass player and a drummer come over to play?
You will have a perfect size kit there for the drummer.
You could even turn one of your unused rooms into a studio.
That way things could be set up and ready for a session.
If the drums were kept set up you would play them when you had a few spare moments.

(...) I made a choice that I spend money and time doing what I like. I have reasonable expenses on other stuff, I don`t follow fashion and I`ll never buy an expensive car or anything like that. This is what makes me happy so I made it my priority. (...)

Yeah, this sounds so familiar to me ;-) Life is all about priorities and (hopefully consciously) selecting what to spend time/energy/dedication/money on.

Don't do it!! I'm new here so I probably don't have much weight or input value, but let me share my story, I played from the time I was 6 until I was 21, played for pay from 17-21. At 21 I said f-it and walked away, sold my gear and gave it up. At 34 I couldn't stand it anymore and got back to it. When I was 42 I was in a car accident and lost the use of my right arm. I sold my premier signia's, ALL my paiste signatures and my entire library of snare drums. I've just gotten done chasing down cymbal's and have a kit, still hunting snares. Things change, with time. What do you have to loose, just stack them out of the way and if you still feel the same in a couple of years, you will STILL be able to get rid of them, just don't do it now. Don't let your emotion drive the move. I have and it's NEVER worked out well for me.

Just $.02 from a newb here...

Don't do it!! I'm new here so I probably don't have much weight or input value, but let me share my story, I played from the time I was 6 until I was 21, played for pay from 17-21. At 21 I said f-it and walked away, sold my gear and gave it up. At 34 I couldn't stand it anymore and got back to it. When I was 42 I was in a car accident and lost the use of my right arm. I sold my premier signia's, ALL my paiste signatures and my entire library of snare drums. I've just gotten done chasing down cymbal's and have a kit, still hunting snares. Things change, with time. What do you have to loose, just stack them out of the way and if you still feel the same in a couple of years, you will STILL be able to get rid of them, just don't do it now. Don't let your emotion drive the move. I have and it's NEVER worked out well for me.

Just $.02 from a newb here...
Hey, a big welcome to the forum! How's your arm now? I'm inspired by your story & your determination to keep playing. I worked through some challenges too (still am to be honest), so I admire your "1 finger up" approach.

Hey, a big welcome to the forum! How's your arm now? I'm inspired by your story & your determination to keep playing. I worked through some challenges too (still am to be honest), so I admire your "1 finger up" approach.

Thanks for the kind words and welcome. It's a day at a time, and it's slow going, It continues to be a work in progress. I get up ready for a fight everyday, but so it goes. My wife and best friend still handles the keyboard input, but I will get back, come well you know. This injury has cost me so much, my career, many friends(who it turns out where actually acquaintances), and forced me to look deep down inside myself. I think Nietzsche put it best, 'That which does not destroy me makes me stronger'. I don't know what I will do once I get past this, but right now I'm working on just getting past it.

What were you working through KIS? Just curious, hope you get through it too, you will, just keep at it!!

Back