Tip for getting more tom resonance

Back onto the topic of resonance,

In the past few years, Yamaha, Ludwig (micro lugs) Sonor and others abandoned the huge lugs they used to use. I am envisioning one day DW downsizes those lugs. Same design, 1/2 the size and weight.

Either that or I'd just buy a Unix stave with tiny lugs and be done with it...resonance problem solved.

DW had "low mass" lugs for a while, it seems they've been discontinued (or just aren't used often). You don't find them on many used kits either.

The only problem I have with Bob's "theory" is that the tom he used is on an Iso Mount already, effectively decoupleing the tom from the hardware to begin with. And if it is decoupled how would it matter which direction the mount is heading??

From a physics point of view, this seems BUNK!!

Do you mean about resonance? I would have to agree with Bob on that one. Its just physics and I have certainly found it to be true.

Well, then there's a stalemate of opinions from experience. I have found it to be completely untrue. Like I said, find out for yourself what is true with YOUR drums and YOUR tuning.

I love the dental analogies...

Well, then there's a stalemate of opinions from experience. I have found it to be completely untrue. Like I said, find out for yourself what is true with YOUR drums and YOUR tuning.

I love the dental analogies...

:)

I think that hanging it upside down is about as effective and necessary as vented racing brakes on a turtle.

Again, without the re-rings in a dw, it would be more resonant as well. That would have a pronounced effect vs inverting something on an l-arm.

You have a metal rod, connected to a stand or rack, that is vertical and you have a clamp on the tom that is tightened against it. Does the clamp know if the rod is upward or upside down.?? Hmmm. I know in my case I have increased the resonance of my bass drum by buying extra long spurs and putting them on top of the bass drum and tightening them to the ceiling rather than the floor.

You have a metal rod, connected to a stand or rack, that is vertical and you have a clamp on the tom that is tightened against it. Does the clamp know if the rod is upward or upside down.?? Hmmm. I know in my case I have increased the resonance of my bass drum by buying extra long spurs and putting them on top of the bass drum and tightening them to the ceiling rather than the floor.

You're joking right?

I'll just stick with my tube lugs and suspension mounts personally. The ones that Ddrum uses are actually pretty compact and unobtrusive. I just hate it when I change the head on my rack tom every couple of weeks or so. Its a pain to take it on and off.

What, no pics? ;)

All you have to do to prevent them from falling is to use an extra memory lock.

True, but as I stated in another thread, then it's not a "memory" lock, because you have to remove it every time you remove the drum. Then it's just a lock, no memory. :) The convenience is gone and more time for setup & breakdown is added.

RIMS are irrelevant for aluminum drums...tried it, there was no audible difference. The drums are far more rigid than wood. All rims did was diffuse the energy via bounce. The drums resonate more powerfully than dw on rims as is. And if you notice, my lugs are less than 1/2 the size and weight of dw.

I've heard this before from other Trick users & it makes sense. The guy at Tempus (his name escapes me) says the same about his fiberglass & carbon fiber shells. Haven't personally witnessed it myself, but I'd love to.

DW had "low mass" lugs for a while, it seems they've been discontinued (or just aren't used often). You don't find them on many used kits either.

I totally agree about the large lugs! The resonance difference might be negligible, but large lugs (DW, others) and bulky mounting hardware (Sonor, others) are ugly! Why waste time with great finishes and then obscure them...? I also stated this in another thread- Travis McNabb (late of Better Than Ezra) has a DW kit that uses the small, Trick/Spaun-like lugs that DW uses on their tymp-toms. Great idea! I'm sure since they're a custom company (albeit a large one), they'll do whatever you want, but I'm equally sure they'd never encourage it, because those idiotic lugs are their visual trademark.

I have increased the resonance of my bass drum by buying extra long spurs and putting them on top of the bass drum and tightening them to the ceiling rather than the floor.

I've found that using wire is a little more effective. It really "isolates" the bass drum from the ceiling. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this to my floor tom without the wire getting in the way of my fills...

I've heard this before from other Trick users & it makes sense. The guy at Tempus (his name escapes me) says the same about his fiberglass & carbon fiber shells. Haven't personally witnessed it myself, but I'd love to.

Witness these direct mounted drums: (Small lugs too!) They sound completely amazing live, and just bury his DW kit.

Attachments

• newstacks_110 small.jpg
    newstacks_110 small.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 662
Back