good snare stand for a secondary 10" snare?

Nick G.

not really sure if theres a difference between snare stands for different size drums

but any recommendations?

dont wana spend to much but i will probably be gigging with it (very occasionally)

cheers

are single braced stands gonna be able to with stand lots of playing?
whats the difference?

No reason it wouldn't unless you are bashing the crap out of the 10" drum.

The weight between it and a DB stand is probably a pound, or MAYBE 2 if that.

Lighter to carry is always better (IMO), but when I had single braced Yamaha hardware, I never worried about it not being study enough EVER. The stand doesn't look to be "dinky" to me, the basket is just smaller.

I doubt you'd have a problem if you decided on the Yamaha stand unless you use 2S sicks, and play at FFF every note all night. It might move some then :)

I have truly enjoyed my Yamaha hardware as well as using Yammy hardware in situations where gear has been provided (backline, church gigs, house gear, etc).

When I bought my YMCAN drum set in 2004, I ordered double braced cymbal, snare and tom stands as I wanted 'the best'. They are the best but the double braced gear stays at home in the studio and rarely makes it out to live work. The main reason being that although the double braced gear does exactly what it was designed for, hold up well under punishing live use, it's quite heavy when you have all the hardware in a bag or case.

The single braced Yamaha gear I own goes out with me and even though I play from a very soft to loud volume, has never given out on me.

The only Yamaha hardware I've seen give out are the YESS ball mounts. This has been very specific and has been when a floor tom has been hung off a stand. It's not just that aspect though. These mounts have been seriously cranked down - when they didn't need to be - and therefore over pressured (not sure about that term). The bolts that hold together the ball mount will strip out. You might call this a design defect. However, I've only seen it and/or experienced it when at a church gig where a variety of people of different experience levels have free access to using and abusing the house drums.

Other than that, I've never come across a Yamaha single brace stand that shows premature signs of fatigue. Therefore, that's what hardware I'll haul up and down the stairs at a posh Beverly Hills club that I do monthly. A real treat for drummers of any age but especially interesting at my age.

All this to say - go Yamaha if you want hardware quality be it double braced or single braced.

HTH

Jim

Back