Bass solos. Crank 'em up?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Jut been listening to this - Jeff Beck live, Cause We Ended as Lovers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC02wGj5gPw

An absolute gem. Tal's bass solo is unbelievable but I wish she'd cranked up her bass the way Jaco used to do when it was his turn. It's so good I'd like to hear her more clearly.

I don't see why bassists don't crank up more in their solos. I mean, if they're playing big bass then fair enough, but IMO if the bass has the floor it would generally better to crank up given that there's less clarity in the lower register.

Any thoughts?

An absolute gem. Tal's bass solo is unbelievable but I wish she'd cranked up her bass the way Jaco used to do when it was his turn. It's so good I'd like to hear her more clearly.

I don't see why bassists don't crank up more in their solos. I mean, if they're playing big bass then fair enough, but IMO if the bass has the floor it would generally better to crank up given that there's less clarity in the lower register.

Any thoughts?

i think it's a sound man issue. btw, i prefer this version from Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival - also in 2007. also see Jeff and Tal's "A Day In The Life" from the same festival. mind blowing.

As a drummer who's also a bassist, I gotta say that young lady is incredibly talented.

Cliff too, but he's less fun to look at ;)

Any number of reasons why bassists don't "crank it up", but the biggest reasons are that the signal distorts easily in the bass register and we could conceivably damage some equipment (I'm thinking the subs under the stage). The band usually drops out a bit during a bass solo to give that sonic room anyways.

i think it's a sound man issue.

Any number of reasons why bassists don't "crank it up", but the biggest reasons are that the signal distorts easily in the bass register and we could conceivably damage some equipment (I'm thinking the subs under the stage). The band usually drops out a bit during a bass solo to give that sonic room anyways.

I think its a combination of sound man, and the perception that most people have when starting out playing in a band - that of "I must be louder than the drums/electric guitar/(insert instrument of choice)". Of course, the guitarist then wants to be louder, then the singer wants to be louder, etc etc. So inevitibly everyone ends up playing with their equipment near full power. Thus there is no 'headroom' available to turn it up on a solo passage and fit the music properly.

Also there is a lack of understanding (or use of) the dynamics an instrument can achieve (drummers are probably the exception though) so eg a bass player might play a whole song at one volume level instead of using the full range of expression achievable.

For sure, but Jaco managed it fine. I think Tal's solo deserved to be louder so we could better appreciate some of her melodic ideas ... Vinnie's toms were at least as loud as the solo.

Tal's one bear who can not only walk on her hind legs but can run, jump and tap dance. I wanna clearly hear the woman wail!

I wonder who they see when they look in the mirror?

lol true dat. Its more than just copying Jacos bass though.. its more like becoming Jaco. I actually think thats true of almost all of the bass players out there. Everyone now plays his dotted 16th note 2 bar grooves and throws in some harmonics.. its amazing how universal one mans playing style became.

Good example, Abe. The bass is crystal clear.

I'm now thinking that Vinnie should have gotten more out of the way like this drummer did (who is he?)

Thats Nathaniel Townsley. Fabulous player. Now plays with Richard Bona ( another bass player )

lol true dat. Its more than just copying Jacos bass though.. its more like becoming Jaco. I actually think thats true of almost all of the bass players out there. Everyone now plays his dotted 16th note 2 bar grooves and throws in some harmonics.. its amazing how universal one mans playing style became.

I need more guys to totally cop James Jamerson, though. There's not enough of that guy in the world ;)

... amazing how universal one mans playing style became.

I remember him coming up about the same time as Stanley Clarke and it always surprised me how much more attention Jaco got. For some reason I always bracketed them together ... Stanley was the funky acrobat, Jaco the melodic adventurer.

Tal seems to be a mix of them - a melodic acrobat :)

I remember him coming up about the same time as Stanley Clarke and it always surprised me how much more attention Jaco got. For some reason I always bracketed them together ... Stanley was the funky acrobat, Jaco the melodic adventurer.

Tal seems to be a mix of them - a melodic acrobat :)

I saw Stanley play this summer as part of the RTF reunion tour and he was the guy who stood out in terms of sheer jaw dropping performance.. took my breath away. You are right Tal has a bit of both in her, but what I really love about her playing is her taste and her choice of notes. Incredibly contrapunctual, kinda unpredictable, and very tasteful. Almost the definition of a great musician. She used to be a guitar player, btw..

Last edited:
I saw Stanley play this summer as part of the RTF reunion tour and he was the guy who stood out in terms of sheer jaw dropping performance.. took my breath away. You are right Tal has a bit of both in her, but what I really love about her playing is her taste and her choice of notes. Incredibly contrapunctual, kinda unpredictable, and very tasteful.

First time I heard Stanley I was shocked ... I'd not heard anything like it. Actually, I still haven't.

Yes, Tal has real melodic flair, so desirable in a bassist ... easy to imagine her being an ex guitar player based on her high note phrases.

Any thoughts?

I liked that. Subtle, and it sounds like she has a bit of influence from Marcus Miller. He is another of my favorites.

However, if a louder bass solo is what ye seek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enIzgC5E7Hk

How is that for a bear walking on it's hind legs, lol?

Back