MAJOR BEGINNER HELP ME

Jordan

Hello ummm not sure what to do about introductions but anywho ummm... so I bought a 5piece kit the other day and a double pedal... well my friend was supposed to teach me and I made him mad so im kind of stuck... Can ANYONE HELP ME learn how to play stuff like decapitated, necrophagist, slipknot, slayer, etc... I mean I know I wont be able to play stuff like that yet being a beginner and all but can someone point me into the right direction to learn some stuff...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Well the only problem with getting a teacher is that the closest place that offers lessons where I live in Kentucky is about an hour and a half away from my house... I am in indianapolis for a few weeks but after I return I wont have a teacher... is there like websites besides freedrumlessons.com or books/ dvds that can help with that style of music????

I am inclined to agree with the other poster...get a teacher. You say you live in a small town, but did that town have a high school, did it have a band class? Then maybe taking out an ad in your little town paper or something to that effect can possibly score you a willing teacher other than your fickle friend.

I bought my first drum kit a little less than a year ago after wanting to play drums for YEARS and after plunking about for a week I jumped on getting a teacher...to me IMO there is NOTHING that replaces the subtle nuances that a teacher can pass along that a book or dvd will NOT, look hard you may be surprised and find a teacher in your small area, but you will never know if you just do not try.

Best of luck, and WELCOME to Drummerworld Forum.

JIM

Well, if it helps any, most of the best drummers to walk this Earth were self taught ^^. Outside of this, you at least need to know the basics--most of which can be found online. I, outside of advice I found on these forums and stuff I found online, have pretty much been self taught (my dad helped me learn my first groove and first 2 fills. I might add in a couple bits of advice later when I Have more time--but first, while I am gone, do you have ANY musical knowledge, or are you a COMPLETE BEGINNER?

I think the one requirement to be a drummer is the burning desire to play. Before I started drums (we're talking age 11) I was constantly hitting things, and when ever I would sit, my right leg would be in constant motion. You just have to really want to do it. I don't know that you can ever learn desire, it's either there, or not.

Well, if it helps any, most of the best drummers to walk this Earth were self taught ^^. Outside of this, you at least need to know the basics--most of which can be found online. I, outside of advice I found on these forums and stuff I found online, have pretty much been self taught (my dad helped me learn my first groove and first 2 fills. I might add in a couple bits of advice later when I Have more time--but first, while I am gone, do you have ANY musical knowledge, or are you a COMPLETE BEGINNER?

Whaaaat? I mean, Buddy Rich might be the exception, but all those considered "best" are highly educated at a real university. Vinnie Colaiuta being a prime example.

There is only so much you can do by yourself. You need people much better than yourself, to get you to AT LEAST their level before you can move on. You can never have a real idea of what is possible when you are the only reference... ya dig?

I'm all about self-education, but you can't make such statements without something to back it up and really... all you're doing is inciting negative responses by stating such. Purely, your view is an opinion and probably should not be considered "good" advice.

Well I went to the site for free drum lessons with the rudiments and stuff and have started learning those.... I was wondering about the whole tuning ordeal.? I have new heads on them all I was just wondering how to get the drums to actually be the pitch of like As Blood Runs Black or Suffocation or Nile...? I was told by a guy in this little music shop by my house that you cant "tune" to their sound you can only use sound boards and stuff and I know that's a mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmlie... I played snare for band, trumpet, bells, and about 5 years ago picked up guitar. When I went to see As Blood Runs Black I heard the song my fears have become phobias and the double bass solo made me just want to pick up drums . I mean ive learned the basic rock beat and have started to look up songs but is there something I can do to make the drums actually sound like the ones in the songs??? I mean there has got to be a way to do it because ive seen kids cover these bands and nail the song down to a T and they weren't using "soundboards" so any suggestions? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm beginning to post a lot of videos on my site explaining different drum ideas in case you're looking for them. I explain everything for beginners, but show how you can grow with each of the fills or ideas in the videos. Plus I talk about anything that's drum related, so you might find more useful info. Hope it helps...

www.newchops.com

Hey Jordan,

Just to let you know you will never get your drums to sound like 'whoever- place said drummer here' unless you have the same kit, with the same heads with the same sticks using the same technique in the same room using the same mics etc etc

Do you see where I'm going with this- you can try to get close to that sound but there are so many variations-down to the drummer 'officially' playing certain equipment only to find that they used another kit/head/stick etc etc to record- because they 'wanted that sound'

What I am trying to say is that you could have all the required official items and yet they used something else so you will never get that sound from what you have-

My advice is to take the drums you like the sound of and work with what you have- make your drums sound good- use cross tuning as a base starter- there are plenty of sites out there to show you this.

A crowd watching you will love that your drums sound good and you can play them , not because they sound like ...etc

It sounds like you are having trouble with double-bass? My advise would be to intially concentrate on using a one of the pedals and get basic beats down and then move the double in and build that up -

Personally not a big fan of metal double-bass- but each to their own

Good luck

Back