Warped snare head!!! Need some help with this.

AOM drummer

Hey fellow drummers,I've got a problem that I hope can be solved!
I have a 6x14 OCDP ash snare drum with a Remo Ambassador coated batter head. The snares in great shape. Nothing bent or out of tune. It was tuned last by a studio tech but the more I play the head is warping in the center. The head is level. What could be causing this warping?!!?!

Hmmmm 6x14 Beast. What size stick's are you using and what genre of music are you playing?

I love 2ply heads for heavy bashing, they just take a beating much better than a single ply head. You do loose a lot of tone but if you are playing live with mics; no problemo. I just put a single ply G1 on my 6x12 cause it was sounding too choked. I can't expect this single ply to last as long and "warping" in the center is sure to follow over a shorter period of time.

I use Ahead 5b sticks and I play in 2 bands. One is a btbam ish like a proggressive metal and the other is more mainstream like Godsmack. And I'm a heavy hitter.

Go with an Emperor or a G2 my son, and your problem should be solved.

I'll try one of those! Thanks a lot. Those heads are thicker and shouldnt warp? Or what's good about them over the ambassador?

Drum heads do periodically need to be re-tensioned, sometimes a couple of times a day depending on your style of playing. How long ago did the studio tech tune it for you? Did you try re-tuning the present head or is it damaged beyond tuning? I can't understand your statement where you mentioned that the head is level. Maybe a picture might help.

Dennis

I did retune it tonight and the warping went all the way down. I'm sure at the next practice the head will lose tune because it's happened before when I had warping. The tech tuned it about a week ago so I'm sure it was due for some retuning. But still not sure how the warping is going on. By saying the head is level I mean that it was set right when it was first put on.

I'm assuming you mean it's concaved in the middle. In my little experience, once it starts doing that it's time for a new head. It will never really sit in tune now. A thicker head will take the beating more. I've also found that using low tuning allows the head to do this more easily and to get the concave out, your tuning and pitch will have to get a little higher each time you bring it out. Going too tight as well will force the middle to concave but will not show until the head is slacked off. If you want durability but want a little more open sound then a two ply head, try a reverse dot type head, will be a different sound but offer a little of both worlds.

Back