triggers

Stuck.at.siX

I have an acoustic kit, I'dlike to incorporate a trigger for just one sound, possibly more in

the future. I heard a song by the band "bring the horizon", (the song being "chelsea

smile") and at the beginning there's a bass surge kind of sound, and i know its from a

trigger that is placed off to the side. I thought it sounded awesome and I know a lot of

metal bands use it. Whats the best way of going about setting this up wthout spending

tons and tons of money?

You can actually get triggers quite cheap, there is these ddrum red shot triggers, for your snare, bass and toms. But the problem is buying the module and hooking it up to your computer and all that malaki.
Roland make good modules and they are... sometimes pricey.
Alesis (I think thats what they are called) make some cheap modules.
I really have no serious experience in triggers, but I do know the basics.
If you want some better advice your probably better off going in to a drum shop and asking there or email one of the metal guys here on drummerworld.

sweet sounds good, i looked into roland and alesis or whatever it's called. roland is pricey, but i guess you get what you pay for also, thnx for the info

so a trigger can be either attached to an existing drum or as a seperate pad on a stand?

i was looking to set up just one pad that can go into my laptop via midi so that i can change the sound. from hand clap to a pig oinking..... whatever i want basically.

surely there is an easier way than having to buy a drum module with midi out when i dont even want the noises it makes. is there? cos i cant seem to find anything that will do what i want cheap. cheers

sweet sounds good, i looked into roland and alesis or whatever it's called. roland is pricey, but i guess you get what you pay for also, thnx for the info
There is an Alesis module which is £150, it is just a basic sort of thing, but it should do until you really get to grips with the mechanics of triggers, the same principle as buying your first kit.
Oh, and are you going to hook it up to a pad, or a bass drum, or what?

Right mate, what you're gonna need is a trigger( whether that be a stand alone trigger pad, or an acoustic trigger that is attached to a drum you already have)
The trigger will then need to feed a "brain" of some description, (in my case the Alesis IO trigger to midi converter).
This will take the weak electronic signal from the pad and convert it to usable data,usually Midi.
once you have the midi signal you can fee this into a drum machine/sampler/laptop anything with a midi in and use any sound you wish.
It really opens up a whoel new world of sound. I currently use a roland Pad attached underneath Hats and a trigger built into the shell of an auxilary snare.still looking to add more.
I usually trigger drum machines for Claps etc.
The Alesis IO is the better priced option, Roland do the TMC6 (I think) bit pricier.
I got the Alesis for £60 on Ebay.
I've got majorly into building my own triggers (Piezo transducers) so so easy to do.

hope this helps,give me a shout if you need anymore help.

By the way the SPDS pads are a great option as well,you'll see loads of drummers using them.

There is an Alesis module which is £150, it is just a basic sort of thing, but it should do until you really get to grips with the mechanics of triggers, the same principle as buying your first kit.
Oh, and are you going to hook it up to a pad, or a bass drum, or what?

i want to hook it up just to one pad, to make my own sounds to use for live performance, know what i mean?

I can vouch for the SPD-S haha! it's so awesomely funny I love the little drum and bass song i think its called Filter-9 or something. Put those loops on and play along to it on a Roland TD-9 with the "Compact 18" Kick" kit setting (number 4 I think!) haha such a geek!

Back