Which kit would you get?

Ok, I've decided to make a different thread. I play metal, and I need drums that can give me really good low end. I have 2 kits in mind:

Tama Imperialstar
Two 22" x 18" bass drums
8" x 7", 10" x 8", and 12" x 9" rack toms
14" x 14" and 16" x 16" floor toms
14" x 5-1/2" snare drum
Made out of poplar
Price= $1,500

OR

PDP Pacific Platinum Exotic
7"x8", 8"x10", & 10"x13" Rack Toms
12"x14" &14"x16" Floor Toms
24"x18" Bass Drum (x2)
10"x6" & 14"x5" Blackout Maple Snare
Made out of North American Maple
Price=$2,505

If you have any other suggestions (kits, wood of shells, etc.) go ahead and let me know.

You could have kept the other thread and just injected this into the mix.

Are the large bass drums important to you? The 24's will make a larger boom.
Is that the sound that you are looking for?
That is the main difference in the kits besides the price.
True, the other drum sizes vary, But it shouldn't make as much difference as the bass drum sizes.
I like the floor tom sizes slightly better on the Tama kit.
But the PDP floors will work fine.

Maple is a bit louder than Poplar. Just slightly!
Poplar is still great sounding. There is only a slight difference in tone and volume.
Poplar sounds more like vintage mahogany.
You can always add a 10 inch side snare to the Tama.

The final thing is do you have the extra cash for the PDP kit?
$1000 can buy a lot of cymbals and pedals!

Well, have you tried both kits at all? It's all personal taste, and what you can afford. I kinda lean towards Tamas, but that's me.

Interesting 2 choices, though.

Good Luck in whatever your decision is.

Once again, thanks for the input Bob.
The bass drum size concerns me a little, because I plan on using a Pearl Icon rack.
From what I've read, Mahogany is a deep tone, which is what I am most certainly looking for.
Hmm, do Tama make good metal (the material, not genre) snares?
Oh, I plan on having LOTS and LOTS of cymbals. I think people would think they are too many, but I like a LOT of variety.

Jeff-- I have not been able to play either kits, as my local GC usually has a Pearl/Gretch/ Sonor set up.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Jeff-- I have not been able to play either kits, as my local GC usually has a Pearl/Gretch/ Sonor set up.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

You're very welcome.

Glad to have you here, on DrummerWorld, SVE.

Bob---ah, okay then. I think I will go with you on the Tama then.
Ah, the Titan... I think that's a bit much for a snare drum for me, but to each his own I reckon.

Jeff---Nice, specs/pics?

I would get the TAMAs. (but that's me)

If you play metal, the double licks are going to get lost in the "boomy" sound of the 24" kicks. I would go with the 22's.

Honestly, I would not buy either of those kits. There are too many pro level kits on the used market right now to buy a new intermediate/entry level kit. I have been looking around a lot on Craigslist and Guitar Centers used inventory section, and there are deals to be had. I was wanting to upgrade my current kit to a pro series line. Today, I bought a double bass Tama Starclassic Performer (100% birch) for $800. I had to haggle with them but the economy is hurting everyone so they are willing to deal. After tax and shipping, it ran $950 to my door. Still over $500 less than what you are looking at, and I suppose the prices you listed on those kits dont include tax yet. Just food for thought ......good luck with your search.

Here is a picture of the kit I bought for reference. Granted my kit doesnt have a snare, but you can find great deals on those as well.

MyStarClassics.jpg

Thanks for your thought, Kbadd.
csnow--- I was thinking that too about the bass drums. Hmm, I haven't looked into used gear, but I figure I'm going to be saving up a LOT of money (25 cymbals, 3 sided rack, extra hardware for the rack, pedals, brand new heads, etc.) so I really won't mind paying an extra $700 more for a new kit, but if I can find a used large pro-level that is in great condition, then I would get that. I also have a template for a huge Luddie Centennial kit, but I am NOT the person to ask about entry/intermediate/pro level kits. Any help?

I would most defenitely recommend a yamaha rock tour set to you.
I checked a couple of weeks at my drum store and they blew me away. Super nice low end sound and bang for the buck if you ask me.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/drums/rt/

They use REAL mahogony shells btw, while most of the other companies like DW, Pearl Keller shells use Sapele from Africa (which they call mahogany, but it ain't)

If you want dead-end low tones from a Tama, you should definitely check out the Starclassic Bubinga series. The bubinga wood brings out a lot of low end but, although i don't know the exact price, they not super cheap by any means. By the looks of your price budget, you should be able to afford one easy enough.

As far as snares go you should definitely check out the Pearl Sensitone brass snares. Although they're intermediate level snares, they sound fantastic. I have the 14" x 6.5" and i've tried between 5 - 8 different heads on it and they all sounded great.

xoxo

If you play metal, the double licks are going to get lost in the "boomy" sound of the 24" kicks. I would go with the 22's.

Honestly, I would not buy either of those kits. There are too many pro level kits on the used market right now to buy a new intermediate/entry level kit. I have been looking around a lot on Craigslist and Guitar Centers used inventory section, and there are deals to be had. I was wanting to upgrade my current kit to a pro series line. Today, I bought a double bass Tama Starclassic Performer (100% birch) for $800. I had to haggle with them but the economy is hurting everyone so they are willing to deal. After tax and shipping, it ran $950 to my door. Still over $500 less than what you are looking at, and I suppose the prices you listed on those kits dont include tax yet. Just food for thought ......good luck with your search.

Here is a picture of the kit I bought for reference. Granted my kit doesnt have a snare, but you can find great deals on those as well.

MyStarClassics.jpg

Wow! These look like my Superstars!

Hey, how'd you get my drums?

Ha! Nice.

PeniScott--- I would LOVE the bubinga set, but I am not sure on the shell sizes that I want, or how to go about special ordering them. I will read up on that Pearl Snare. I have a great Pearl now, but I will look around.
Basswood--- I will have to look into it more, but I did a quick look at your link--pretty nice. I also looked up on GC and they said they have a 22"x17" drum, is that a typo? I also need to know how to go about special ordering another tom, because I am hooked on 3 up/2 down.

I have Gretsch Renown and Ludwig Classic Maple (Both new kits) and have bass drum sizes 20x22 (Gretsch) and 16x24 & 18x24 (Ludwig)...The 18x24 is the deepest low end kick of them all and audience - band mates notice the sound of the 18x24 right away...Tama Starclassic is a very nice kit and thats a great price...All the best...

Back