Some that are always consistent for me are:
A Change Of Seasons - DT
Hotel California - Eagles
Solo in Sultans of Swing - Dire Straights
Numb/Encore - Linkin Park
Edit
Freestyler - Bomfunk MC's
A La Menthe - La Caution

Just a few. Interesting to see what people come up with, but each song connects with people in a different way. I'm sure some will be the same, but mostly different.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about putting this thread up a couple of days ago! You beat me to it. :)

I was listening to my iPhone, doing the dishes, when one of my favourites came on, and the hair on the back of my neck raised up. You know the goosebump thing! :)

Mine is- Jambi, by Tool! The intro for this is killer!!!!!

I was just thinking about putting this thread up a couple of days ago! You beat me to it. :)

I was listening to my iPhone, doing the dishes, when one of my favourites came on, and the hair on the back of my neck raised up. You know the goosebump thing! :)

Mine is- Jambi, by Tool! The intro for this is killer!!!!!

Very cool, I wonder if you can ever listen to a song so much that you lose this effect. I reckon for some songs that feeling will never go away. How it would feel to be able to write a song like that!

Very cool, I wonder if you can ever listen to a song so much that you lose this effect. I reckon for some songs that feeling will never go away. How it would feel to be able to write a song like that!
Well if it was easy, I guess bands would have tons of them! Something magic happens. You can't buy a bottle of it in the store, and it may only happen once for a band.

I think the advent of the MP3 player has helped not get sick of stuff, because you can shuffle through so much of your library. Not like years ago, when you had the record, or tape in, and you left it on for a while, until you got sick of it. It is so easy to change around now!

It's also interesting that your goose bump song is not necessarily mine, or anyone else's, but some are more common than others. Think "Dust in the Wind", or "Stairway To Heaven", Tom Sawyer" along with many others. Just the right recipe I guess. :)

Goosebumps, I love them.

Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd. Especially the first solo. Always makes me feel emotional.

Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits. So much feeling in that one.

Twist and Shout, The Beatles. The first song I ever heard that made me feel music rather than just listening to it. I was only about 11 at the time and I could not understand this strange, excited, feeling that recorded performance gave me. Still moves me every time I hear it.

Goosebumps, I love them.

Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd. Especially the first solo. Always makes me feel emotional.

Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits. So much feeling in that one.

Twist and Shout, The Beatles. The first song I ever heard that made me feel music rather than just listening to it. I was only about 11 at the time and I could not understand this strange, excited, feeling that recorded performance gave me. Still moves me every time I hear it.

Yep, although it doesnt do it for me personally, comfortably numb is one I hear often. Music is a very powerful thing. Imagine a party or a movie without it. Possible yes, but as good as with? Never.

Paw- Jessie

August Burns Red- Mariana's Trench

System of a down- Soldier side

Biffy Clyro - Many of horror

Lamb of god- the passing

Styx- Sing for the Day

There are several that come to mind, one of them unexpectedly:

MIles Davis - Live At the Plugged Nickel 1965 - "So What" - first time I heard this version I was half napping. After the head finishes, Tony and Ron come in to start the solos...you feel it...Tony's ride cymbal and Ron's walking feels like a big plane gaining speed as it is soaring into the air...so much so that when the audience applauds during the track, you feel it, too. You understand why they are applauding. I realized the power of Tony, in that moment. I realized the power of an amazing rhythm section, what it can do for music.

Luciano Pavarotti performing "Nessun Dorma" When he holds the final "ce" of "vincero" going into his final note, it's like an explosion. Add to it the chords that set up this phrase, and you have magic.

Any ballad played by the Keith Jarrett Trio, but in particular, "Blame It On My Youth" from "The Cure" This trio has such command of not just their respective instruments, not only each other's instruments, but command and control of the atmosphere of the audience. It's pretty stunning how they can do this. And they performed their ONLY SHOW last night in NJ, and am kicking myself I couldn't go.

Pat Metheny Group - Travels - "Are You Going With Me" the bumps start when Pat sets up for the final hit...then, bang! The final hit...and then the bumps are prolonged, remaining right until the final decay of piano and guitar. This version is definitive; if you check on youtube you can see/hear the band play the song this way EVERY time they play it. Intense.

And the last, for this post, rather unexpected song that give me goosebumps. AC/DC "Shoot To Thrill". Yeah, believe it or not. Right at the end of the song, one of the most perfect endings to a rock song, or any song for that matter. Have a listen!

Oh and for hairs on the neck I go straight to Appetite for Destruction. Any song, any time of day and you have to just blow your speakers.

Otis Reading Sings Soul Ballads is my new favorite album by the way- Thx GVD for the suggestion. More soul per second than any album ever.

so glad you get the enjoyment from it that I get

such pure organic emotion on that record vocally.....and the band is just so completely killer

Quite a few tunes do that to me because I often associate the song with a memory,a person or time in my life that just made all the crap in my life dissapear.

This is a quick very short list

" You Made Me So Very Happy".......................Blood,Sweat and Tears(studio version)

"Won" Get Fooled Again"..................................The Who(best scream in rock and roll,period)

"Somewhere Over The Rainbow".........................Judy Garland from "The Wizard of Oz"

"Willin"..............................................................Little Feat,from Waiting for Columbus

Steve B

And from still stuck in the past, LOL, a few to mention...

*Soul Sacrifice, Santana @ Woodstock with M. Shrieve WOW!

*The Finale (Dulcinea/The Impossible Dream) Richard Kiley New York Stage Production.

*The End, (Abbey Road) , There is a raw version running around that's even better. Sadly It was the end for The Beatles.

(2 Mega Sappies)

*The Wedding Song, Peter, Paul and Mary.

*I Cant Help Falling in Love With You, Elvis Presley.

Bach, J.S. - "Air" Orchestral Suite N° 3 in D Major_BWV 1068

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlT8yeEYbMs

...the popular bit, of course...

Gotta echo Tom Sawyer...great growl intro straight into a plaining drum line.

Back