Travis Barker

Am I right in thinking the general public has known three drummers over time. Gene Krupa. Ringo Star. And now Travis Barker?

I think Buddy Rich and Phil Collins are well known from the public as well.

Buddy Rich, no. Not even during his lifetime. I spoke to Daniel Glass about this and he was emphatic.

Phil is hardly known as a drummer. Most people ask me these days about the child abuse he suffered that led to Face Value. I answer, No. The album is about his first divorce. If they know him at all, it is as a singer. If not as a singer, as a victim of a fictional attack.

Gene Krupa at the height of his popularity was not only the best known drummer but was the biggest star in America.

Gene Krupa at the height of his popularity was not only the best known drummer but was the biggest star in America.

Which pissed off Benny Goodman no end.

(My mother loved him and always told me of his brown wavy hair)

One of my favorite drummers growing up was Pete Finestone of bad religion. The stuff he played on against the grain amazed me. I always wondered tho... does he / did he use a double bass pedal?

I think people aren't paying so much attention when they say TB is all speed and nothing else. I hate fast punk-poppy drumming because it's boring and sounds pretty unmusical to me on its own, but there is definitely a bit of personality with his playing in B182 that deserves recognition. Also, the dude doesn't carry himself in some superior way, he seems pretty level-headed. He just happens to be massively appealing to people who are excited by what he plays, I don't think he himself is necessarily a gimmick. This is coming from someone who has absolutely no interest in Blink 182-ish drumming.

well said. Its a very common occurrence for fans to completely overstate someone they admire.

Travis Barker may not have the craziest chops, but you must take into consideration what genre he is playing. In Blink, it would be very easy for someone to make the most simple of punk beats (think quarter notes on the hats, and a double on bass before snare hits on 2 and 4); but Travis has made some great creative stuff. You may bash on him for how he looks, how his set up is (imo, its awesome when you can play a simple set up and keep everything intricate and interesting), or what you think you have seen of him in the media, but the guy has brought a technical level of drumming to a genre where mediocrity is common. The guy may not have the coolest solos, and he may like to bang his drums pretty roughly (hey, uh...wasnt bohnam famous for hitting hard?.....hmmm), but he certainly deserves credit.

And also, how many of these ignorant, hateful comments aren't simply fueled but drummers who put themselves above TB but never got far in the music business? hmmmm.....

Travis Barker may not have the craziest chops, but you must take into consideration what genre he is playing. In Blink, it would be very easy for someone to make the most simple of punk beats (think quarter notes on the hats, and a double on bass before snare hits on 2 and 4); but Travis has made some great creative stuff. You may bash on him for how he looks, how his set up is (imo, its awesome when you can play a simple set up and keep everything intricate and interesting), or what you think you have seen of him in the media, but the guy has brought a technical level of drumming to a genre where mediocrity is common. The guy may not have the coolest solos, and he may like to bang his drums pretty roughly (hey, uh...wasnt bohnam famous for hitting hard?.....hmmm), but he certainly deserves credit.
+1

this so called drummer>travis barker, and all the grunge and heavy metal drummers could not even carry john bonham's jock strap!!!!!

Why would you want to carry John Bonhams jock strap? I mean, you've heard all the sordid tales right? Read all the stories?? Believe me, that a jock you definitely wouldn't want to strap. I suggest you head out and strap someone else's jock my friend, it's bound to be healthier in the long run.

Best leave Bonzo's strap where it currently lies..........6 foot under with his jock.

I have a spare strap for your own jock though if you'd like it. PM me if you're interested. As the old saying goes, a strapped jock is a happy jock.

Last edited:
this so called drummer>travis barker, and all the grunge and heavy metal drummers could not even carry john bonham's jock strap!!!!!

That's a little bit closed minded isn't it?

1. Travis isn't "grunge" or metal, he's a drummer in 200+ punk bands and a hip hop act.
2. A lot of metal and "grunge" drummers took a lot from John Bonham - Me included.

I'm technically a teenager but I honestly have never loved Travis Baker. I guess I could say I respect some of his playing, but I would not consider myself a fan. I've liked drummers like Clyde Stubblefield, Al Jackson Jr., and Bernard Purdie from the start.

I just see no real appeal in his playing. And I'm pretty sure he's always baked.

But you guys are right - true punk is the Clash, Ramones, Stooges, Damned, Dead Kennedies....

Am I right in thinking the general public has known three drummers over time. Gene Krupa. Ringo Star. And now Travis Barker?

That sounds about right.
A couple others I might add (not as much as those though) are Phil Collins, John Bonham, Dave Grohl, and (unfortunately) Joey Jordison.

What?? No Sex Pistols???

I need a bottle of Jack, a few asprins and a good lie down to recover from this shock!!
Sex Pistols were more or less put together by Malcolm Mclaren...
and they were sh*t

The General Public won't know who Gene Krupa is unless they're fans.
They won't know Travis unless they're 12 year old Blink fans
and they won't know Ringo unless they watched Thomas The Tank Engine in the early '90's

Back