Need a Transcription Software

mhanon13

Sup guys,

I need a transcription software to transcribe my own licks and grooves to keep record of them and practice them once in a while to not forget them.

Also, my church is presuring me with a lot of songs they want to play and I want to transcribe stuff from the songs.

Currently I use Finale, but it sucks working with drums. I cant place a bass and a hihat together. When you press play it does not sound accurately. there is no snare sound.

So i need a user-friendly transcription software for drums, pretty much complete where u can also transcribe triplets, accents and ghost notes. If the software can play what you transcribe, that would be awesome too. (To make sure that what I transcribed sounds what I am looking for)

thanks

Thanks in advance.

There is no program that will write out exactly what is played on a recording. So you will need to have two programs - one notation program and one tempo reduction program.

The tempo reduction program will slow the tempo down without changing the pitch. I personally use Transcribe by Seventh String Software. It lets me slow things down and loop sections that I am transcribing. It also has a graphic equalizer built in so you can boost or lower frequencies to hear bass drum or hi-hat notes that are lost in the mix. You can also save the slowed down track so it can be burned onto CD. The new version of transcribe also slows down video too. It's inexpensive - around $50.

As far as a notation program, you're already using what many consider the best program available - Finale. You may need to go into the settings and change the midi sound to get the snare where it needs to be. Last time I went to a clinic on Sibelius, it did the same thing sound-wise, so buying another expensive program is not the solution. I have written a 128 page manuscript using Finale. If you are patient and use the index, you will learn how to add triplets, rolls, and grace notes to your notation.

Jeff

There is no program that will write out exactly what is played on a recording. So you will need to have two programs - one notation program and one tempo reduction program.

The tempo reduction program will slow the tempo down without changing the pitch. I personally use Transcribe by Seventh String Software. It lets me slow things down and loop sections that I am transcribing. It also has a graphic equalizer built in so you can boost or lower frequencies to hear bass drum or hi-hat notes that are lost in the mix. You can also save the slowed down track so it can be burned onto CD. The new version of transcribe also slows down video too. It's inexpensive - around $50.

As far as a notation program, you're already using what many consider the best program available - Finale. You may need to go into the settings and change the midi sound to get the snare where it needs to be. Last time I went to a clinic on Sibelius, it did the same thing sound-wise, so buying another expensive program is not the solution. I have written a 128 page manuscript using Finale. If you are patient and use the index, you will learn how to add triplets, rolls, and grace notes to your notation.

Jeff

Oh wow.. without changing the pitch.. so it does not sound like very stupid? haha.

Well, i will try with Finale... Has it worked pretty well for you?

thanks Jeff

Oh wow.. without changing the pitch.. so it does not sound like very stupid? haha.

Well, i will try with Finale... Has it worked pretty well for you?

thanks Jeff

I use Transcribe because it does not sound weird when slowed down like some other programs.

I use Finale for all of my notation projects. It is one of the top two - along with Sibelius. But they are both very similar. Get to know Finale - there's a lot to learn. The index in that program is your guide.

Jeff

I use Transcribe because it does not sound weird when slowed down like some other programs.

I use Finale for all of my notation projects. It is one of the top two - along with Sibelius. But they are both very similar. Get to know Finale - there's a lot to learn. The index in that program is your guide.

Jeff

I use Transcribe too, but more so VLC Media Player. Instead of Finale I am a Sibelius guy and I really can recommend it. I don't think that Finale and Sib are too similar... at least in Finale I don't understand the most simplistic things, while in Sib I can do anything that I want to do. But it's probably because after 7 years of using Sib I am really really used to that program. Both programs are awsome and get the job done. On the other hand, for only notating drumset stuff, there are some other progs that are cheaper or even free which are probably almost as good.

I use Transcribe too, but more so VLC Media Player. Instead of Finale I am a Sibelius guy and I really can recommend it. I don't think that Finale and Sib are too similar... at least in Finale I don't understand the most simplistic things, while in Sib I can do anything that I want to do. But it's probably because after 7 years of using Sib I am really really used to that program. Both programs are awsome and get the job done. On the other hand, for only notating drumset stuff, there are some other progs that are cheaper or even free which are probably almost as good.

Both Finale and Sibelius seem to have the same capabilities - at least as far as drum notation is concerned. Of course some of the commands are different, so that's where users of one program seem to have a difficult time switching over. I guess what I was saying is they have the same end result. Either program is going to take some time to learn. I would suggest learning the program you have, since a new one would be hundreds of dollars.

Jeff

Both Finale and Sibelius seem to have the same capabilities - at least as far as drum notation is concerned. Of course some of the commands are different, so that's where users of one program seem to have a difficult time switching over. I guess what I was saying is they have the same end result. Either program is going to take some time to learn. I would suggest learning the program you have, since a new one would be hundreds of dollars.

Jeff

That was basically what I was trying to get across :)

As the total graphics and control geek that I am, I still prefer Sib because as far as I know Finale (which isn't too much of course) it gives you a little more room for tweeking eveything to the way that you want it to look like. Also, the new magnetic layout tool is insanely good.

On the other hand, the Export function of Finale seems to work a little better or is at least a little easier to use....

I'd argue though, that 90% of all users won't ever even realize these differences since they only occur in the real small details.

I've spent some time on some Notation Forums (both the Sibelius and Finale) and it's kind of the same thing as with Canon and Nikon: Two companys offer very high standard products with tiny differences that non-power-users won't ever realize but still there is a heated discussion about which one is better... (just check some forums, it's quite bizarre).

I stand for Sib and Nikon. MUCH better than all the rest. hahaha. (I'm kidding).

@OP: Just check out both programms - there are free trial versions for both that you can run for 30 Days on your computer. You'll find out quickly which Prog serves your needs better.

I'm sure that Jeff and I will be able to give you any help needed if you PM either one of us with specific questions that you might come across.

I have been using Sibelius for around 4/5 years now, I certaily don't claim to be a wizard with it, but I am proficient enough to create good transcriptions and scores, and fulfil my needs.

It's a great program but you have to spend some time to get to know the ins and outs of it.

Good luck!

I've been on a quest for some time for some drum notation software that doesn't cost several hundred dollars (just want to notate drums, not an entire orchestra!), isn't awful to learn, and works fairly well.

I've had TabTrax for a while, but it's got a lot of limitations and doesn't seem to be supported any longer.

I've tried Musescore, but it's just being developed and I just don't have time to beta test a new program. I've tried Notation Composer and some others, but their note entry methods are just inscrutable and some have serious limitations like not being able to put a drumset on one staff.

Oddly enough I tried the Finale Notepad demo and was making ok-looking drum notation fairly quickly. Well I made it to the third measure where I needed to change time signature and it won't do that. :( And full Finale is very expensive.

I haven't come across a Sibelius demo and it's very expensive anyway.

So one question is which of the Finale and Sibelius versions would be good enough for drum notation? I don't need a lot of other features. Would the student editions meet a drummer's special notation needs? I've found Sibelius Student Edition V5 for $82, I can deal with that, but I can't find a demo. And with what I've come across already I don't want to buy without a decent demo of the software.

I've also heard that Guitar Pro works fine for drum notation so I loaded up the demo last year but got busy with work and it timed out before I had a chance to demo it. If I uninstall and reinstall it's still timed out. And the company just doesn't return any support questions about it. But the web site shows some nice looking drum notation and it's affordable. Anyone had experience with this software?

I'm sure that I'm not alone in this quest, I've spent enough time trying to read scrawled lessons from different drum instructors that they too need something that's inexpensive, intuitive and quick and flexible, and not a several hundred dollar behemoth.

Thanks!

I've been on a quest for some time for some drum notation software that doesn't cost several hundred dollars (just want to notate drums, not an entire orchestra!), isn't awful to learn, and works fairly well.

I've had TabTrax for a while, but it's got a lot of limitations and doesn't seem to be supported any longer.

I've tried Musescore, but it's just being developed and I just don't have time to beta test a new program. I've tried Notation Composer and some others, but their note entry methods are just inscrutable and some have serious limitations like not being able to put a drumset on one staff.

Oddly enough I tried the Finale Notepad demo and was making ok-looking drum notation fairly quickly. Well I made it to the third measure where I needed to change time signature and it won't do that. :( And full Finale is very expensive.

I haven't come across a Sibelius demo and it's very expensive anyway.

So one question is which of the Finale and Sibelius versions would be good enough for drum notation? I don't need a lot of other features. Would the student editions meet a drummer's special notation needs? I've found Sibelius Student Edition V5 for $82, I can deal with that, but I can't find a demo. And with what I've come across already I don't want to buy without a decent demo of the software.

I've also heard that Guitar Pro works fine for drum notation so I loaded up the demo last year but got busy with work and it timed out before I had a chance to demo it. If I uninstall and reinstall it's still timed out. And the company just doesn't return any support questions about it. But the web site shows some nice looking drum notation and it's affordable. Anyone had experience with this software?

I'm sure that I'm not alone in this quest, I've spent enough time trying to read scrawled lessons from different drum instructors that they too need something that's inexpensive, intuitive and quick and flexible, and not a several hundred dollar behemoth.

Thanks!

The educational Version of Sibelius is the same as the full version, except cheaper. Of course you have to proof that you are either a teacher or a student in some way.

Version 5 will do just fine. In fact, every version of the program will do fine. The major changes from Version 1 to Version 6 are the playback functions, note-input functions, using VSTs, and a whole other bunch of stuff that you don't need to worry about if you only want to notate drums.

I love Version 6 though, thanks to the new magnetic layout tool - but if you look at all the transcriptions I have posted here, they were all made with 5 or lower.

SickRick, if you made those transcriptions with Sibelius it's good enough for me! :)

A visit to Amazon.com is showing we several different versions and I don't see where you'd have to prove that you're a student to get the student version, that surprised me.

Here's the page I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...ss&index=software&field-brandtextbin=Sibelius

I see Student Version 5 for $82, then Sibelius 6 Student for $82, then Sibelius 6 Competitive Crossgrade for $147, and of course Sibelius 6 Professional for $456.

Then the Sibelius web site will sell you the crossgrade for $126. Neither Amazon nor Sibelius' sites say anything about having to prove you're an actual student or you're actually crossgrading to get lower prices.

I finally called Sibelius and found that you don't have to be an actual student to get the student edition, but you do have to prove that you have the full version of Finale to register the crossgrade. You can purchase the crossgrade, but you wouldn't be able to make it work without the proof...

The Sibelius rep did point me to link where you can download a demo of the full version of Sibelius 6.

I did find a feature comparison between Sibelius First and Sibelius 6:
http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius_first/features.html

And now a feature comparison between the Student and Full Sibelius 6:
http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius_student/features.html

And this page can be helpful:
http://www.sibelius.com/products/index.html

Well now I'm going to have to decide on the Student or First versions...

I'll report on how all of this goes in the hopes that it helps others.

The educational Version of Sibelius is the same as the full version, except cheaper. Of course you have to proof that you are either a teacher or a student in some way.

Version 5 will do just fine. In fact, every version of the program will do fine. The major changes from Version 1 to Version 6 are the playback functions, note-input functions, using VSTs, and a whole other bunch of stuff that you don't need to worry about if you only want to notate drums.

I love Version 6 though, thanks to the new magnetic layout tool - but if you look at all the transcriptions I have posted here, they were all made with 5 or lower.

the best program to use for drum transcriptions is guitar pro 5, you can write anything using it, and it has a playback feature using rse software, or as midi file, its easy to use and is avalible to download on several sites, ive personally tried inding other software like tab trax and it is no way near as good as gp5. another good feature about it is, other musicians can add there share in too like the members from your band, it allows you to write songs without having to attend jam sessions or gigs. You can also print the sheet music out and is avalible in sheet music or tab format. i hope this information was useful and best of luck!

the best program to use for drum transcriptions is guitar pro 5

I'm reeeeeealllllyyy not so sure about this one :)

Guitar pro is made for notating guitar, not drums. I think not only does the drum notation with that program look bad, but also the input options are awkward.

I have to admit though, that I've only tried the program once for a short time.

The thing is - in my opinion though - that when you're transcribing, what you want as the end result is not a good sounding playback, but a great looking sheet of written music. To get this result, the input options of the program are crucial, also the editability and appearance of things like staffs, noteheads, stems, beams, tuplets, texts (musical text and plain text), symbols etc. etc. etc.

If you're looking for a program that allows for great sheet music editing (of all instruments btw) and great looking music notation, there are almost no other options other than Finale and Sibelius. As a sideeffect, both programs do handle playback really well with VSTs, full compatibility with Logic/Cubase etc. and pretty nice built in sounds for all instruments.

But hey - if Guitar pro gets the job done for you, then why change?

yes guitar pro is designed for transcriptions of guitar hence the name, but once you know how to use the drum side of it there is no reason it cant be used for mainly drums. i have had no trouble with it and i would suggest it to anyone wanting to transcribe drum music. there should be another version called drumpro but hey we drummers dont get enoug credit haha.....

Hey, could you upload an image / PDF of a transcription you've made with Guitar Pro?

Doesn't really matter what it is, I'm just curious about how drum notation looks like with that program since I only had a short go on it.

Thanks.

FINALE 08 or 09 or whatever the most recent is. It takes a while to learn but you can do all that you dream of -- Polyrhythms, flams, diddles, and you can have two different layers (ie bassdrum stemming down and cymbals and snare stemming up if that's how you like to read)

I just downloaded the trial version of Finale Note Pad 2010 and can't figure out some basic things. For starters the time signatures available do not include 7/8 or some other odd time signatures. How do you change to 7/8 time? How do you change time signature in the middle of the score?

I looked through all of the shortcuts and didn't see a way to display a little "o" or "+" on the hi-hat notes to indicate when to open or close????

Another problem is after you start creating a score there doesn't seem to be any option to edit the title or composer. So if you made a spelling error or whatever your stuck. Edit: I just figured this one out, there is a tiny control box associated with the title and the composer and you can right click it to edit.

Once you are done creating the score how do you convert it to pdf format?

If I can figure out these issues it will be well worth the $10 for the program.

Edit: I just ran into another issue: How do you create the symbol for repeating the last bar 3 times or however many times you want? I'm not talking about the repeat tool but those "dot/dot" symbols that go in the middle of the bar.

Edit: I just went to the finale website and found out that these are all limitations of the Note Pad software. :( Darn and this software was looking so good too.

Last edited:
Back