A musical term that describes...

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Please forgive my ignorance here since it's been eons since I actually was in a school band program. What is the technical term for playing a note slightly behind the beat? Not dragging, but playing just a split second behind the count.

For example, I've been playing a lot (probably too many) sixteenth note fills - 1 e and ah, 2 e and ah...and triplet fills slightly behind the count for emphasis, then coming back in directly on the count. U2's drummer Larry Melman does that to great effect.

There's a musical term for that but I can't remember what it is. Thanks!

I've known it as fatback.

Please forgive my ignorance here since it's been eons since I actually was in a school band program. What is the technical term for playing a note slightly behind the beat? Not dragging, but playing just a split second behind the count.

For example, I've been playing a lot (probably too many) sixteenth note fills - 1 e and ah, 2 e and ah...and triplet fills slightly behind the count for emphasis, then coming back in directly on the count. U2's drummer Larry Melman does that to great effect.

There's a musical term for that but I can't remember what it is. Thanks!

Larry Mullen, Jr.

It's called a "delayed back beat" as well.

there is no absolute beat, metronomic sync that defines music. You can play on, ahead (in front of) the beat, or on the beat. But they are all just perceptions.

Laid-back.

Bermuda

Larry Mullen Jr. Duh! Sorry, thanks Delta! I had a brain freeze there!

Thanks everybody. I knew there was a term or two for it but couldn't remember.

I'm not sure there is an actual formal term for it. Why not call it Rouge-ing the fill, or Rouge-ing the beat?

"Movin on the backside" thats a term I use and have heard others use discribing playing behind the groove. Definetly "fat back" or "fat backed"!!! I know from living in different areas in the States the dialects are so much fun to hear and theres so many ways of saying one thing. Very colorfull musicians in the south and the performance stylings are so different. Just like the words are different for the same meaning the musical stylings are also different yet the base message is still delivered in a song just with different instruments and with different phrasings. Wonderfull!! Doc

Larry Melman

0_61_032107_Calvert_DeForest.jpg

Back