DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-03-2009, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

I noticed someone asked what time signature Bonnie the Cat was in, so I decided to transcribe the groove for a bit of fun (even though Gavin already answered the question). I've not transcribed much at all lately and it was nice to do it again. Maybe I'll do some full songs....

Anyway, here it is (minus the ghost notes), how does it look Gavin?

Hopefully I will be seeing you in Manchester on the 18th of December with Porcupine Tree. Last time I went to a gig at that venue (Opeth) the curfew was really early because it was on a sunday. Do you have any idea what time the curfew will be on the thursday that you will be playing there? I would be gutted if the set had to be shortened, is that frequent at Porcupine Tree gigs?

Thanks.

Last edited by DaleC; 10-03-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleC View Post
I noticed someone asked what time signature Bonnie the Cat was in, so I decided to transcribe the groove for a bit of fun (even though Gavin already answered the question).
Scroll down to post #3610. Terry Branam already transcribed the groove, you should check with his transcription as they are always very spot on.

Fox.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Scroll down to post #3610. Terry Branam already transcribed the groove, you should check with his transcription as they are always very spot on.

Fox.
Just looked at it, you're right - it is very well done, and I'm happy that mine is pretty much the same minus the ghost notes. Still, it was nice to write something out again, even if somebody had already done it.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:05 AM

Thanx for the reply gavin. What i meant by record the beat was did you record it as a loop or is it all live? and how did you come up with the idea for the beat?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

[
It's is basically an Afro Cuban 6/8 pattern played over a displaced herta on the bass drums. The herta starts on the 2nd 16th.
Hi Everyone,

Excuse me you all but i can´t find what the meaning of ´herta´ is. This word has blown away every dictionary avalaible for me. I´ve found it on the internet as a female name, a frankfurter´s Company and even and Asteroid!. Very interesting, but nothing close to a musical term.
Could everyone please give some help to my rusty brain?. ;-))
Many thanks in advance.

Gus.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:26 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi ProgMetalHead,

sorry I missed you in the after show.

Hi DaleC

Anyway, here it is (minus the ghost notes), how does it look Gavin?

Yes pretty good job there - but the ghost notes are the hardest parts to play!!

Hi Hurlza

Thanx for the reply gavin. What i meant by record the beat was did you record it as a loop or is it all live? and how did you come up with the idea for the beat?

I don't record anything as a loop - it's all live from beginning to end. I think that part came out of a jam we we're having as a band.

Hi Gus

Excuse me you all but i can´t find what the meaning of ´herta´ is. This word has blown away every dictionary avalaible for me.

It's a hybrid rudiment - have a look here
http://www.drumstheword.com/licks-gr...drum-lick-fill

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks Gavin. I agree, the ghost notes are the hardest part to play, but they really help fill the groove out. Major props for coming up with such a fantastic groove!

I was wondering about the RLRRL sticking that you mentioned towards the end of your Rhythmic Horizons DVD. I really like this sticking and I think it makes for some brilliant polyrhythmic grooves depending on where the accents are placed. You used this sticking inside of triplets in fills, but do you ever use this sticking in grooves? If so are there any examples that you could explain or show, from a CD/DVD or even from a transcription?

Thanks.

Last edited by DaleC; 10-04-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:01 PM

Hi Gavin,

In Italy is very hard to work with music. Last week i went to a little recording studio near my house to look for work. I have take with me a cd demo. In this cd i have played 5 pop songs with a local band and it was a good work for me. The drum tracks were played with simplicity but with taste and precision, also because the genre was that (think Claudio Baglioni, Fiorella Mannoia, Raf or many other italian artist of this kind)! But my drumming was not appreciated, because they said that there were few virtuoso fills in (???). And this unfortunately happens often. I know that 99 percent of people think that a good drummer should be an octopus or play at supersonic speed, but i thought it was important to play with precision and taste to be appreciated in a professional environment. I stayed sick. I have studied 8 years with a Berklee graduate teacher. Has this ever happened to you? I have to learn to play like Vinnie Colaiuta, so they make me play a waltz?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:51 PM

Hey Gavin,

If I recall you mentioned you were testing out some possible new Zildjian chime/splash cymbals? Is there any update on this? (release, etc)

Thanks as usual, all the best!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:08 AM

Hi Gavin! I saw you last week at the Metropolis in Montreal and it was a really great show (the performance was flawless and the sound was pristine). I was wondering if Porcupine Tree plan to do a show in Quebec city in this tour? I saw that you have a new cymbal in your setup (completely at the left of the kit) and it looks like a big china cymbal, can you tell me what is this cymbal and why did you expand your set up (i saw that you sometime ride on it with your left hand).

I want to finish by saying how much I appreciate that you take time to answer all the question we have...I wish we could have do that with Buddy, Bonham, Porcaro etc. You're a real inspiration on and off the drums. Thank you.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 AM

Hey Gavin!

Thanks for your reply.
Got a pillow a discount price at Yisk (im in the Netherlands).
Little smaller than a regular sized pillow, but still heavy.
Works great! I like the sound of it in the drum, short and punchy.
Thanks for your help!

I'll just continue asking ok?:P

1: How do you muffle your snare? I read something about rings...
Did you do this at the MD festival for example?
If so.. what kind of ring? I can't spot it in pictures:S

2: What is your opinion about coated ambassadors on the toms? I have those on there now, but I find them to have a little too much overtone... what do you think?

Thank you for being so nice in taking time to anwser all my little questions.

Again, I've learned a lot from your videos, and I love the sound you get out off the drums!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DaleC

I was wondering about the RLRRL sticking that you mentioned towards the end of your Rhythmic Horizons DVD. You used this sticking inside of triplets in fills, but do you ever use this sticking in grooves? If so are there any examples that you could explain or show, from a CD/DVD or even from a transcription?

Yes it's one of my favourites. I do use it inside a couple of grooves on my latest CD with 05Ric "Circles" . Soon there will be a book of the transcriptions and you'll be able to see that sticking in action.

Hi daniele

But my drumming was not appreciated, because they said that there were few virtuoso fills in (???).Has this ever happened to you?

Your story surprises me. Usually my experience has been that they don't want virtuosic fills - but just simple good feeling groove.

Hi gibeachhead

If I recall you mentioned you were testing out some possible new Zildjian chime/splash cymbals? Is there any update on this?

Yes we have worked on some prototypes - but I have no news about a possible release.

Hi djlouis

I was wondering if Porcupine Tree plan to do a show in Quebec city in this tour?

Not this tour - but we hope sometime early next year.

I saw that you have a new cymbal in your setup (completely at the left of the kit) and it looks like a big china cymbal, can you tell me what is this cymbal and why did you expand your set up (i saw that you sometime ride on it with your left hand).

Yes it's a Zildjian 22" Swish Knocker (without the rivets). I like to ride on it with my left hand sometimes as it opens up the rest of the kit for the right hand and some interesting rhythmical possibilities.

Hi Roger//

Did you do this at the MD festival for example? If so.. what kind of ring?

On my 14" snares I usually use a zero ring (or two) for muffling. On my 12" snares (like I used on the MD Fest DVD) I don't really muffle them at all. Maybe a tiny bit of gaffa tape sometimes.

2: What is your opinion about coated ambassadors on the toms? I have those on there now, but I find them to have a little too much overtone... what do you think?

I really like them - but I dent them too quickly playing rock music on them. So I find the tone and durability of the Coated Emperors much better for me in a situation like Porcupine Tree.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM

How's that for a happy coincidence? First day I've been on the boards in months and I'm listening to you playing on the new O.S.I as I type.

Great stuff. A little too much electronica for me to fall absolutely head-over-heels with it, but I guess that's the thrash metaller side of me speaking.

I hope Portnoy doesn't hold a grudge.

:-)

Last edited by Big Chris; 10-05-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 PM

Hey Gavin!

About this question again. First off thanks for taking the time:)

(Hi Roger//

Did you do this at the MD festival for example? If so.. what kind of ring?

On my 14" snares I usually use a zero ring (or two) for muffling. On my 12" snares (like I used on the MD Fest DVD) I don't really muffle them at all. Maybe a tiny bit of gaffa tape sometimes.)

But, another question:P

What kind of rings would this be? Regular ones like the Remo's or the Evans E-rings? or do you make these yourself?

I have a choice to make. the puresound Equalizer Snare Wires with 12 or 14 strands. what do you think? 12 give less buzz? still a good snare sound?

Thanks!

Roger

Last edited by Roger//; 10-06-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 AM

I was wondering where I could get the followup to Drop. I love Drop, and I feel that it contains some of your best drumming. You bring out a lot of what drummers DON'T but SHOULD do, and it's inspiring. The best touches, imo, are your ghost notes. They have such a light, subtle touch, and it just fills out your playing so well. I have both of your DVDs, and I plan on watching them shortly. My playing has been lacking for a long time now, so I look forward to learning your ideas! One thing I love doing because of you is snare displacement. Early or late snare hits really groove out the music!
I have another question, actually. How often did you practise when you were just starting out? Did you do a lot of theory studying and disciplinary type stuff? Do you still "practise" these days, or do you just play for the bands? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 AM

Hey Gavin,

I've always wondered, what goes through your head right before you play that crazy section on Anesthetize? (11:12-11:30)

If it were me, It'd certainly be nothing other than "oh shit." hah
Did you or steve write that drum part? If he did, how'd you feel about it at first?

Thanks,
Robin
Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Big Chris

How's that for a happy coincidence? First day I've been on the boards in months and I'm listening to you playing on the new O.S.I as I type.

Yeah it's a good record - I still enjoy hearing it.

Hi Roger//

What kind of rings would this be? Regular ones like the Remo's or the Evans E-rings? or do you make these yourself?

no I make them myself from old drum heads - and they are about half an inch wide.

I have a choice to make. the puresound Equalizer Snare Wires with 12 or 14 strands. what do you think? 12 give less buzz? still a good snare sound?

I prefer the regular custom strands - I get the 12 strands and then pull off the outside 4 (2 each side) so there's just 8 strands left in the middle.

Hi ProgMetalHead

I was wondering where I could get the followup to Drop. I love Drop, and I feel that it contains some of your best drumming.

thanks the new one is called "Circles" and it's only available from here:

http://www.burningshed.com/store/gavinharrison/

I have another question, actually. How often did you practise when you were just starting out? Did you do a lot of theory studying and disciplinary type stuff? Do you still "practise" these days, or do you just play for the bands?

I went through many different phases of practising - when I was really young I just played along to records - then when I was about 10/11 years old I had serious lessons to read and work on technique. I certainly practised every day for at least a couple of hours back then. Yes I still practise now (when I have time) but it's much more conceptual stuff rather than anything purely technical.

Hi mrbutterskin

I've always wondered, what goes through your head right before you play that crazy section on Anesthetize? (11:12-11:30)

Usually I think to myself "Stay relaxed and pace yourself". It's a pretty hard section to pull off cleanly in a concert situation.

cheers
Gavin.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Hello Mr. Harrison

Got the new record a few weeks ago, and it's a great grower album! Especially the 2nd CD, I find the drumming quite creative. Also, I actually find your drumming on the Octane Twisted part jazzy for some reason, congratulations on the record!

As for the questions:

1- Do you listen back to the records you have recorded? If so what do you think of them?

2- I've watched this video a couple of times:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Una_hzeeE&NR=1

Seen you legging it, were you in a hurry if you remember?

Thanks for taking time to answer everything on here, I've enjoyed reading the forum for quite a time!

Cheers from Turkey.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 PM

Hi Gavin,

Hope you're enjoying the few days off you have.
Last Saturday I finally bought a new snaredrum. The final choice was between a Sonor Artist Series 14x5" Scandinavian Birch, Odery 14x5.5" Air Control and a Craviotto 13x6.5" Natural Maple. The Sonor came out as the one with most character and versatility for me, as well as being the cheapest of the three. You obviously know the Sonor snare, do you happen to have those other two? And what do you think of them?

Second question:
I'll be recording soon with my band and I'd like some tuning tips for the toms. We're going to record 3, maybe 4, songs which are all in drop D. What notes what you tune the toms to if this were the sizes? 12" and 13" racks and a 16" floor.

I'll see you in a few days in Amsterdam and Brussels.

Cheers,

Francis
Old 10-07-2009, 03:07 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

For those of you who maybe curious about the new Korg Wavedrum. Here's me demoing some of the sounds at the Korg product luanch a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkpWfm_nT0

Hi Merting

1- Do you listen back to the records you have recorded? If so what do you think of them?

Very rarely. Normally I've worked on the music so much that I can't bear to hear it again. After a few years have gone by I might hear something that I recorded - but then it sounds kind of old to me. "In Absentia" feels like 50 years ago now.

2- I've watched this video a couple of times:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Una_hzeeE&NR=1 Seen you legging it, were you in a hurry if you remember?

I was aware that they were about to film the smashing of an iPod - but I wasn't that interested to hang around and see it.

Hi ProgFron

Hope you're enjoying the few days off you have.
Last Saturday I finally bought a new snaredrum. The final choice was between a Sonor Artist Series 14x5" Scandinavian Birch, Odery 14x5.5" Air Control and a Craviotto 13x6.5" Natural Maple. The Sonor came out as the one with most character and versatility for me, as well as being the cheapest of the three. You obviously know the Sonor snare, do you happen to have those other two? And what do you think of them?

I do have a Craviotto 13x6.5 but I'm not that crazy for it. It has a different character to the Sonor 14x5.5 that you describe. I don't know the Odery drum.

I'll be recording soon with my band and I'd like some tuning tips for the toms. We're going to record 3, maybe 4, songs which are all in drop D. What notes what you tune the toms to if this were the sizes? 12" and 13" racks and a 16" floor.

I don't really 'pitch' my drums specifically. If you search back through this thread you'll find intervals that I use. I never worry about the drums being 'in tune' with the songs.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 PM

Gavin,

Alright, I listened to Schism again and you (of course) are correct, I can certainly here the 5/8 and 7/8 grooves. If you were to get technical, would that be saying the groove is in 12/8 in a 5-7 subdivision?

Also, I'm almost certain that your song Break is in 12/8's also, but with a different subdivision, maybe 4 bars of 3/8ths?

One last random question, what weight drum sticks do you prefer? 5A? 5B? does it depend on the song and how powerful an influence you want to make?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly,

yes you could perceive that verse groove of Schism in 12/8 or 3/4 or 6/8 if you wanted to. I think 5 + 7 is easier.

"Break" could also be felt in 12/8 or 3/4 I personally think of it as 6/8.

One last random question, what weight drum sticks do you prefer? 5A? 5B?

Vic Firth "Rock" model.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 PM

hello Mr Harrison,

do you know this SD?
it's a premier 2oo9 power snare with a secondary sound chamber from 80's (not a "project-one").
mine

adv.
Have you ever tried? (pure or in rec)
what do think about its sound?

(listening xiii... tri-wow! good job, thx)

best,

Hi

Last edited by henri; 10-09-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Hi Gavin,

Your show in Montreal was incredible! I loved hearing you guys perform all of "The Incident". Whenever I listen to the album now (which is constantly), I can visualize how you played different parts......it's great. I hope you are back to Canada in the spring.

I have a question about over-riding. I remember you mentioning on your "Rhythmic Horizons" DVD something like you first heard a tune in 7/8 with quarter-notes over top, and that's when you started elaborating on the over-riding concept. Would this have been Vinnie Colaiuta? I remember first hearing some of the stuff Vinnie played on Sting's "Ten Summoner's Tales", in which he did a few tracks using this concept, and I, at the time, was like, "what the hell is that?". I was just curious as to where you first heard that.

Also, I just wanted to thank you again for being such an inspiration. I was recently voted Drummer of the Year in my local music awards show, and I have to say it has a lot to do with the inspiration I get from your creativity. So thanks again!

And good luck on the rest of the tour!!!

Kevin

Last edited by KevShephard; 10-08-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 AM

Hi Gavin,
I have heard The Incident album more than 15 times and i have to admit that it sounds GREAT! Once again the playing is amazing and i can say that this album is totally different from what Porcupine have recorded since your arrival! I had several conversations with friends about the album and your drumming and we all noticed that you had a minimalistic approach to the songs in this record! this is something i really enjoyed because the music is different than the previous albums and i think that the drumming fits PERFECTLY! I can see that you don't just want to show off (you don't need to anyway), but you play for the needs of the music! I just want to say once again that you are by far my favorite drummer and a great inspiration!

P.S. Some days ago my drum teacher told me ''Some of the things you play sound like Gavin Harrison.'' I just couldn't stop smiling because of the great honor! Thanks once again!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:31 AM

Hi Gavin,

At first I'd like to thank you for being such a great source of inspiration to me, listening PT records REALLY helps me expanding my horizons on drums and the music means so much more to me...

And now what I'd really like to know, though I won't be the first one to ask...
What snare drum do you use on such videos as Anesthetize and The Sound of Muzak etc. at the Modern Drummer 2008? I've seen those vids on Youtube several times and I'm still in love with that sound... I believe it is a 12" or 13 ", white or greyish, I don't know... Could you tell me what size, brand, shell material, heads and maybe tuning? (Loose, medium, ... on batter and resonant)

Keep up the good work! (Won't be a problem I guess, LOOOOOVEEEE "The Incident")

Yannick Vanderlinden
Old 10-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick Vanderlinden View Post

And now what I'd really like to know, though I won't be the first one to ask...
What snare drum do you use on such videos as Anesthetize and The Sound of Muzak etc. at the Modern Drummer 2008? I've seen those vids on Youtube several times and I'm still in love with that sound... I believe it is a 12" or 13 ", white or greyish, I don't know... Could you tell me what size, brand, shell material, heads and maybe tuning? (Loose, medium, ... on batter and resonant)
http://www.askgavinharrison.com/tags/21-Snare/articles
http://www.askgavinharrison.com/tags/30-Tuning/articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlouis View Post
Hi Gavin! I saw you last week at the Metropolis in Montreal and it was a really great show (the performance was flawless and the sound was pristine).
Indeed. A friend of mine who was with me at the show has seen many acts at Metropolis and remarked the sound was the best he had ever heard.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Wow, Thank you so much for a brilliant show last night, very inspiring. It was a great atmosphere/sound out front, how was it on stage? I did enjoy the improvisation towards the end of 'Trains', shortly after your 'Illusion' haha, so now your including visual, aswell as rhythmic Illusions. Very entertaining. Look forward to seeing you again. Phil
Old 10-10-2009, 12:57 PM

Literally about to leave for the drive to Bristol to catch you doing your PT thing tonight, first time seeing the band live...can't wait! I'm taking my sixteen year old son and we're arguing whose the most excited...:) Amazing,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I'd offer an update on an amazing evening (apart from the journey home). Despite the venue being all-seated the entire execution 'The Incident' was simply stunning with 'Drawing The Line leaving me speechless. I took my sisteen year old son along and he loved every second as did I. One of the highlights of the second set was 'Anesthetize', when Steven urged the whole venue to stand..finally we get the chance to rock out. I do not want to offer spoilers as to the set list but every track blew me away.
Man I was so engrossed moving to 'Trains' that I didnt spot the visual illusion(!), being stuck on the balcony didnt help, gutted :) Did a cymbal crack during Time Flies as I coudn't help but notice? Just to end a perfect evening I even managed to blag a drum stick from the previous night's gig...and gave it to my excited son for putting up with a flat tyre on the way home.
Probably the best gig I've ever seen, thank you for an incredible night.

Last edited by Ogg; 10-11-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Hi Gavin, just a quick question, what microphones are used on the bass drum on the 'Arriving Somewhere' dvd? Is it the usual SM91 And Audix D6? Thanks, Phil.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi henri

do you know this SD?
it's a premier 2oo9 power snare with a secondary sound chamber from 80's (not a "project-one").

I remember them from the 1980's but I never owned one so I don't really know what they sound like.

Hi KevShephard

I have a question about over-riding. I remember you mentioning on your "Rhythmic Horizons" DVD something like you first heard a tune in 7/8 with quarter-notes over top, and that's when you started elaborating on the over-riding concept. Would this have been Vinnie Colaiuta?

No it was an earlier Sting album and the drums were programmed. I think the song is called "Straight To Your Heart".

Hi Yannick Vanderlinden

What snare drum do you use on such videos as Anesthetize and The Sound of Muzak etc. at the Modern Drummer 2008?

it's my 12x5 Sonor designer 6 ply maple. On the MD videos it has a Remo C.S on it.

Hi Phil Brodermann

what microphones are used on the bass drum on the 'Arriving Somewhere' dvd? Is it the usual SM91 And Audix D6?

On that DVD it's just the SM91.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Hi henri

do you know this SD?
I remember them from the 1980's but I never owned one so I don't really know what they sound like.
hi again Mr Harrison,

would you try it and make your opinion about it?
if so, I'll take it with me this 14th at AB brussels and let's arrange a small "after" (lol, I'm kidding)
hum, ok, i'm out. : ))
best,
henri
Old 10-13-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
For those of you who maybe curious about the new Korg Wavedrum. Here's me demoing some of the sounds at the Korg product luanch a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkpWfm_nT0

cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin

I hope the tour is going well - I hope to catch up with you later in the year.

You mentioned the Wave is on the new CD, is this the new WDX as seen in your product launch or an earlier version Wave?

Any plans to use it on the tour or more extensively on future releases?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Ah, yes, Straight to My Heart....great tune. I love how Vinnie uses over-riding in "Seven Days" (over 5, I think - I saw him play it live with Sting, it was sick) and "St Augustine In Hell" (over 7).

Thanks for the reply, Gavin! I hope you are having a great time on the European leg of the tour.....
Old 10-13-2009, 03:21 PM

Hi Gavin!

I sent you a message on your private box, I don't know if you chack it but I hope so.

Thanks,

Julien
Old 10-13-2009, 04:24 PM

Hi Gavin,

It's my first post on this messageboard, but seeing Porcupine Tree last night in Amsterdam, I felt the need to ask a few questions.......

- First of all: thanks for an incredible evening, last night 'll make me listen to The Incident and all PT cd's before a lot more.....

Being a drummer myself I was wondering: do you check your own sound in a venue every night during soundcheck (let one of your roadies play and listen how your kit sounds to the audience?). I'm asking this because last night the band sounded pretty good....but what happened to your beautifull SQ2? The main snare sounded like an 8" phonebook, basedrum and all the toms were dark and not very clear. I was hoping to learn a few new fills, but I couldn't make much from it 'cause of the sound the soundguy made from your kit.

I own a Sonor Designer (birch shells) myself and know how good a kit can sound, but allso how dependend you are on you soundguy. I had the feeling he focussed a lot on guitars, keyboards and vox, but not so much on bass and drums....

I hope I don't sound cocky in a way, and I really enjoyed seeing you play...and as said the rest of the band sounded great...but for the learning part, I have to go to the CD's

Thanks again for all the beautifull rhythms and riffs....I've been a drummer for over 30 years but still learning....

Last question: do you know Dutch drummers Wim de Vries and Rene Creemers? They allso have a big Sonor endorsement and are incredible! If you're interested, go to http://www.drumbassadors.com . If you do, I'm really interested if you like them, check out the vid's they've put on their site

Regards

H3nki3
Old 10-13-2009, 04:33 PM

Hey Gavin!

First of all, I saw you yesterday in Amsterdam and I really enjoyed every minute of the show!
Thank you for that!

I have two questions about your mics yesterday

- I noticed you were playing without a bottom mic for your snaredrum, what was the reason of that?
- And at the right side (for the audiance) about 3 meter from you kit you had an overall mic but i've never seen this one before, what type of mic was it and were do you use it for?

Thanks,

Stijn
Old 10-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Have you guys listened to his stuff from Porcupine Tree? What do you think?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Cuban

You mentioned the Wave is on the new CD, is this the new WDX as seen in your product launch or an earlier version Wave?Any plans to use it on the tour or more extensively on future releases?

No I have the original Wavedrum - and I used that on "Remember Me Lover". The new WDX hasn't been released yet. I don't know if I'll incorporate it into my live setup yet - but it's a lot of fun to play.

Hi H3nki3

Being a drummer myself I was wondering: do you check your own sound in a venue every night during soundcheck (let one of your roadies play and listen how your kit sounds to the audience?).

No I soundcheck my own kit.

I'm asking this because last night the band sounded pretty good....but what happened to your beautifull SQ2? The main snare sounded like an 8" phonebook, basedrum and all the toms were dark and not very clear. I was hoping to learn a few new fills, but I couldn't make much from it 'cause of the sound the soundguy made from your kit.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad sound where you were standing. Other folks have written to me and said it was the best sound that they ever heard. I guess it depends exactly where you are in that huge room.When I go to concerts I try to stand as close to the mixing board as possible.

Last question: do you know Dutch drummers Wim de Vries and Rene Creemers?

Yes I met them at the Frankfurt music show around 2005. They are amazing drummers and very funny too.

Hi Stijnn1990

I have two questions about your mics yesterday
- I noticed you were playing without a bottom mic for your snaredrum, what was the reason of that?

There are bottom mics on both of my snare drums - Audix i5s - you probably couldn't see them as they are mounted off the snare drum stands.

- And at the right side (for the audiance) about 3 meter from you kit you had an overall mic but i've never seen this one before, what type of mic was it and were do you use it for?

I have two mics like that one at each side. They are condenser mics - but I can't remember which ones at the moment.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Hi Gavin

I like very much 'Circle Of Manias'. Amazing song.
Is the opening groove in 9/8 (5+4) with the hi-hat changing the accents every bar?. IMHO that hi-hat pattern makes a great feel to the song.

By the way congratulations for TI. I love it.

Regards
Gus