DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

[quote=xopethx;476601 do you ever have a problem with your toms detuning by themselves? I've got my tom at a medium-low tuning, and after nearly every song, some of the tuning lugs are loose and the tom sounds totally dead. - My snare also does this over time, typically right where i play rimshotsris[/QUOTE]

(edit).......,. Loose tuning (can) = de-tuning of lugs... In other words, every time you hit a rim-shot, youre hittin the rim hard enough to allow for a little bit of non(dis?)-tension on the head. Which allows the lug-bolts to "un-tune" themselves.The next time you re changing heads- push down on the rim where you are tuning at and notice the difference in tension....when you apply force to a particular area, the tension that holds the lug-bolt in place, disappears...(edit again, sorry)

Sorry Gavin, didnt mean to interject....

Last edited by crdirtRider856; 09-04-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: ramble.....
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopethx View Post
Hello Gavin - do you ever have a problem with your toms detuning by themselves? I've got my 10" S-class tom at a medium-low tuning, and after nearly every song, some of the tuning lugs are loose and the tom sounds totally dead. It seems almost like the lugs are over-lubricated, or perhaps i need to try a higher tuning? I play rimshots on the toms often, especially during swiss-army triplets for example. Anyhow, just wondering if you've dealt with this somehow (if it's even affected you, i remember reading somewhere that you have S-Hoops on the toms as well- i'm just using the stock Sonor triple-flange) - My snare also does this over time, typically right where i play rimshots, and even on the bottom head as well.

thanks a bunch for answering all our questions! you're in my opinion one of the greatest assets to the drumming community today!
take care - chris
Get some Tightscrews and your problem is fixed.....but if it's allready after one song you might think about a higher tuning as well..

They have a small nylon insert in the thread which keeps it in place.

I use them myself on my snares and they work great, no detuning at all, only when the head itselfs detunes over time.

(Their website is down for the moment....don't know why)

Dre
Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus

I did read somewhere that your current snare is a 6 ply shell, which seems to be a thin shell, as the Delite series. The snares i know are made with thicker shells, 10 or more.
If this is correct, Do you usually choose snares with thin shells?. Do you get a lower tone with that kind of shells, or just more resonance?.

As far as I know DeLight are 4 ply with 2 ply support rings inside. A lot of my snares are 6 ply (no internal support rings). With thicker shells - I haven't had so much luck finding 'my sound' inside. I have the 27 ply Sonor Earth finish drum and it's a very high articulate sound - but not so much along the lines of a sound that I hear in my head that would suit me. I've heard Jojo use it and it sounds great. I usually opt for round bearing edges as I want more skin in contact with the wood - and try for a thicker woody tone.

Hi xopethx

do you ever have a problem with your toms detuning by themselves? I've got my 10" S-class tom at a medium-low tuning, and after nearly every song, some of the tuning lugs are loose and the tom sounds totally dead.

I haven't really had that problem. Sure the drum detunes as I play it - but that's more the head being stretched. Drizzle has a good suggestion with those tightscrews - another suggestion would be Lug Locks.

http://www.luglock.com/luglock.htm

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-05-2008, 08:01 AM

Default A question on 'mindset'

Hi there Gavin,

I am a fellow drummer from Australia. I enjoy your feel and imagination with the sticks. I would love to ask you a question if I could...
When I am playing and the time might be that a creative fill is required (I improvise a lot of what I do) I notice that during the fill my world turns to colours. I see the music and drum fill in a pattern of colours that I can change and create. Also, I am not on drugs, just to clarify...) I don't need to think about what my hands or feet are doing, they just do what they need to to get the job done.
When you are improvising, do you pre-plan your fill seconds before you play it? Moments before you play it? Or is what you are doing only preceded by your mind's creativity in that instant beforehand?

I appreciate you visiting these boards. It's a rare thing these days for this to exist.

Thanks, Stu
Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 PM

Do you have synesthesia ? Do you see that the number 7 always appears blue or some other color ?

If anyone reading this hasnt heard of synesthesia I highly suggest you read up on it. Very fascinating.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:33 AM

Default Re: A question on 'mindset'

Quote:
Originally Posted by study/effort View Post
Hi there Gavin,

I am a fellow drummer from Australia. I enjoy your feel and imagination with the sticks. I would love to ask you a question if I could...
When I am playing and the time might be that a creative fill is required (I improvise a lot of what I do) I notice that during the fill my world turns to colours. I see the music and drum fill in a pattern of colours that I can change and create. Also, I am not on drugs, just to clarify...) I don't need to think about what my hands or feet are doing, they just do what they need to to get the job done.
When you are improvising, do you pre-plan your fill seconds before you play it? Moments before you play it? Or is what you are doing only preceded by your mind's creativity in that instant beforehand?

I appreciate you visiting these boards. It's a rare thing these days for this to exist.

Thanks, Stu
The thing that stuck out to me in your comments was the idea that you don't have to think about what your hands and feet are doing when you are in this state of mind. One of my favorite quotes from the late great Joe Zawinul was that he believed that when you are truly inspired, you have no idea what is going on, you are in a completely different state of mind mentally, completely removed from the physical world (and if you ever saw his face expressions when he played, you can tell he wasn't lying).
Old 09-06-2008, 03:21 PM

Just found this:

OSI III
Added on 09-04-08

I've been working with Jim on our third OSI album for several months now, slowly but surely. Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree) is playing drums on this one - he's nearly done tracking and it sounds great. Along with guitar, Jim is handling bass this time. I still get to sing but may get some help (more later).
Old 09-07-2008, 02:34 AM

Mr. Harrison,

Hello, I am a long time drummer ( 25 years) and a first time to post here in the Drummerworld Forums.

First, I would like to say, and I'm sure that I speak for most of us, it is with sincere gratitude that you and many other professionals take the time to read and answer the inquiries that we fellow musicians have. That is a mark of a true professional!

Second, I have just recently been turned on to your playing with Porcupine Tree. A co-worker had burned me a 2 disc compilation and now I'm hooked !!! I must have had my head in the sand to not notice you folks until now.

My question for you is, on your Rhythmic Horizons dvd, what model Zildjian crash cymbals are you using? Particularly on your "Futile" excerpt. I see that they are K customs, but what size and model. also the A custom crash to the right of your Ride?

I sincerely appreciate your time.
Thank you,

Michael
Connecticut,USA

Last edited by Drumcircle70; 09-07-2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:41 AM

Hiya Gavin.

I see from the clips on the DGM site that for the KC rehearsals at least, you were both playing behind isolation screens.

Can I ask

Did the screens carry though to the show performances?
Is this something that you've done before?
Do you feel that there is any advantage to YOU as the drummer or are the advantages elsehere?
Is it something that you are likely to do again, particularly with PT?

Thanks as always for taking the time to reply to all of the contributors on the forum.

Can't wait to see you and the guys at the Indigo2 next month.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi study/effort

When I am playing and the time might be that a creative fill is required (I improvise a lot of what I do) I notice that during the fill my world turns to colours. I see the music and drum fill in a pattern of colours that I can change and create.

Sounds like an interesting experience.

I guess I do all of the above. Sometimes I'll think about a fill that I might have played before - and choose to do something similar. In some places I play the same fill as the record because I think it really works and is an important part of the composition. Other times I'll leave it to one second before I play it - and think of a shape, concept or tonal colours that I want to use - but not the exact fill. Then sometimes I dare myself to just go into a fill with absolutely no ideas and see what happens. It very much depends on my mood on the night. Occasionally I'm in a humorous mood and play fills that I know will make the other members laugh. Recently (during an improvised solo in King Crimson) I decided to play like the drummer from "The Shaggs".
It's true that when you're really improvising - afterwards you can't really remember what you played.

Hi DTrocks

OSI III

yes, I've been playing on their new album and it's coming out REALLY good. I look forward to hearing the finished thing.

Hi Drumcircle70

My question for you is, on your Rhythmic Horizons dvd, what model Zildjian crash cymbals are you using? Particularly on your "Futile" excerpt. I see that they are K customs, but what size and model. also the A custom crash to the right of your Ride?

I'm guessing you don't have my DVD? There's a section on the B Side that shows all the equipment that I use. So, on that tune the Zildjian cymbals from left to right are:
13" K Hi Hats
18" K Custom Fast Crash
8" EFX
15" K Custom Dark Crash
20" Avedis ride (from the late 1940's)
18" A Custom Crash
12" Oriental China Trash
20" A Custom Swish

Hi gapwedge

I see from the clips on the DGM site that for the KC rehearsals at least, you were both playing behind isolation screens.
Did the screens carry though to the show performances?

Yes they did - although they didn't really end up tight around the drums (like the rehearsals) they were placed more towards the front line guys as barriers.

Is this something that you've done before?

Yes, with different artists I have.

Do you feel that there is any advantage to YOU as the drummer or are the advantages elsehere?

No, it makes communication more difficult with the other musicians.

Is it something that you are likely to do again, particularly with PT?

It wasn't my choice to do it in the first place. In KC it was about the front line guys getting blasted with too much drums and cymbals. I have no plans to do it with PT.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 PM

Then my question is: When will the new OSI album be released? Really looking forward to it now! It's going to be cool to hear what your aproach to that kind of music is... I think it will fit your style better than portnoy's...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:30 AM

Hi Gavin,

That is basically what I was talking about. Shape, colours and tone. It all adds up into a character and I believe being a good drummer is having the ability to use your personality/character well when it is brought to a song so it suits the mood/character of said song.
Gavin, you do this extremely well. Your exacting playing suits Porcupine Tree but I could rattle of many, many parts where I can see your personality (purely) in the part you are playing.

Liquid_Drummer:

Yes, I do believe that I have synesthesia. I have known it for a number of years that that is what it is called, but have had it my whole life. The main way it shows up is that every single word that I say or hear I see spelled in my mind. (black background with white block lettering). I shows up in real time in either single words or short phrases. Each phrase deleted by the next one that is said/heard. It makes me a very good speller! When it comes to drums, there aren't any 'words' being said so I guess it triggers the synesthesia into turning into colours and shapes. Works for me. As Gavin said "an interesting experience" hehe.

NeuroAxis:

I appreciated your comment about inspiration. When it is happening it is the best thing about music. It turns off the processing that my brain does constantly and gives me that little break, even if only for two seconds.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 AM

Hey Gavin a couple of personal questions.

1.- What do you think about Chris Maitland as a drummer and as a person (in case you know him), and Antonio Sanchez from Pat Metheny?

2.- I read a previous comment and you said you like Lyle Mays work, would you like to do something with Pat and Lyle in the future?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DTrocks

Then my question is: When will the new OSI album be released?

I've no idea.

Hi FearOfaPlanetWithoutGavin

1.- What do you think about Chris Maitland as a drummer and as a person (in case you know him), and Antonio Sanchez from Pat Metheny?

Chris is a great drummer - I've only met him once and he seemed like a very nice guy. I don't know Antonio Sanchez but I recently watched a DVD of him playing with Pat Metheny and he sounded very good indeed. A very nice musically interesting situation.

2.- I read a previous comment and you said you like Lyle Mays work, would you like to do something with Pat and Lyle in the future?

Yes, and I've been staring at my phone wondering why they haven't called yet!!!

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-08-2008, 06:41 PM

Hi Gavin

Iīve been listening the concert of Chicago and itīs amazing. They are songs that i know for a loooong time, and this time the main difference to me, is the drum section. I think thereīs a lot of improvisation around...isnīt it?. So congratulations for your job. By the moment, what i love the most, are those great snare rolls in 'elephant talk'... Hope donīt be wrong that it is you playing that part!!!

Best regards.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Hey Gavin,

I saw that you'll be playing at the PASIC Convention....is this something you feel honoured about or is it just another clinic. To me PASIC is allways a little different then other 'festivals'..
Will you be doing special things just for it or will it be your 'normal' clinic?

Greetz,
Dre

Ps. how is the double drop clutch coming along???
Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus

Iīve been listening the concert of Chicago and itīs amazing. They are songs that i know for a loooong time, and this time the main difference to me, is the drum section. I think thereīs a lot of improvisation around...isnīt it?. So congratulations for your job. By the moment, what i love the most, are those great snare rolls in 'elephant talk'... Hope donīt be wrong that it is you playing that part!!!

Thanks for the comments. There are moments where we improvise and others that have a definite structure.

Hi Drizzle

I saw that you'll be playing at the PASIC Convention....is this something you feel honoured about or is it just another clinic. To me PASIC is allways a little different then other 'festivals'..Will you be doing special things just for it or will it be your 'normal' clinic? Ps. how is the double drop clutch coming along???

I feel very honoured to be asked to play at PASIC. I've never been there before so I'm looking forward to it. I haven't decided what I'll play yet. I might do some new stuff from my new (2nd) record with 05Ric that I'm recording right now.
I'm still thinking about the drop clutch thing - I'm in contact with my engineer friend and we have some ideas.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-11-2008, 10:23 AM

hi
i was watching the jeff ocheltree dvd (trust your ears) and he was showcasing john bonham's acrylic kit and he kept saying its a LIVE kit not to be used in the studio....any idea what he meant by that ?
he said always use wooden kits in the studio...?

also he used felt straps on both the heads of the bass drum and said it helps to focus the sound...is this equivalent of muffling ? and howcome we dont use it anymore ?

cheers
Old 09-11-2008, 12:28 PM

Hello Gavin,

The sound u achieved on the drums recorded on the dvd rhythmic vision is incredibly beautiful. I'd like to ask u what's the chain of gear u used for recording it and what/if u used any effect/compressor/equalizer, especially for the snare drum.

Thx and Regards
Old 09-13-2008, 12:50 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi drumbumhamza

i was watching the jeff ocheltree dvd (trust your ears) and he was showcasing john bonham's acrylic kit and he kept saying its a LIVE kit not to be used in the studio....any idea what he meant by that ? he said always use wooden kits in the studio...?

I've seen that DVD too. I guess what he means is that John preferred the sound of the wooden kits in the studio.

also he used felt straps on both the heads of the bass drum and said it helps to focus the sound...is this equivalent of muffling ? and howcome we dont use it anymore ?

I remember seeing that many years ago. I think it's more to do with bass drums that have no holes in the front. It's a nice sound - but today's sound engineers usually end up wanting to place a mic by a hole in the front head.

Hi steste50

I'd like to ask u what's the chain of gear u used for recording it and what/if u used any effect/compressor/equalizer, especially for the snare drum.

It's been pretty well discussed here - (have a go with the "Search This Thread" engine that's at the bottom my signature). I talked about compressors and reverbs here..

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...&postcount=991

..but there's a lot more stuff if you want to search around. It would be almost impossible to recreate that sound because of the huge amount of variables involved.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-13-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I remember seeing that many years ago. I think it's more to do with bass drums that have no holes in the front. It's a nice sound - but today's sound engineers usually end up wanting to place a mic by a hole in the front head.
ah that has to be it... cause there was no hole in his bass drum and the mic was placed about an inch away from the skin...he miced the batter side too

thanks for the info :)
Old 09-13-2008, 11:40 AM

Hi drumbumhamza & Gavin

[also he used felt straps on both the heads of the bass drum and said it helps to focus the sound...is this equivalent of muffling ? and howcome we dont use it anymore ?

I remember seeing that many years ago. I think it's more to do with bass drums that have no holes in the front. It's a nice sound - but today's sound engineers usually end up wanting to place a mic by a hole in the front head.[/i]

Along with this, this is what Steve Smith does in his 20" bass drum, no holes, two felts straps, but with an internal mounting mic as difference. it may be seen in his DVD 'drumset technique & history of US beat' where he discusses it.

Best regards

Last edited by Gus; 09-13-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Hi Gavin

May I just say it is an awesome privilege to read your posts and experience your interaction on this forum. We ProgRock fans sometimes get carried away with our own pomposity with regards to other ("lesser") music forms, so, to interact with you here is a truly humbling and inspirational experience.
Thank you!

Your drum recording setup on Sleep of No Dreaming was absolutely phenomenal - arguably the most lush drum recording I have ever heard - with the wash of your Crash cymbal in the verse sections perfectly EQ'd and timed, and all your playing, as always perfectly executed.
I haven't played drums for years, and have been threatening to buy a kit for some time. My family has been threatened with death every time they try squeeze furniture into the open spot of my lounge which I've reserved for my soon-coming drum kit, and even though it has gathered dust for some months, that spot will be filled by only one item.
My point is that having gorged myself aurally on a diet of ProgRock headed by yourself and PT, the time for completing my lounge has now arrived. Yep! It's your fault!
;-)
Thanks for being such an inspiration, and for making the pursuit of tight technical drumming achievable. I can't wait to sit down on my kit with some of your training material, and will definitely be using your self-recording technique to correct my lazy bass drum foot.

Thanks again!
Paul

PS - Please come and tour South Africa soon!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgRockPaul View Post
Your drum recording setup on Sleep of No Dreaming was absolutely phenomenal - arguably the most lush drum recording I have ever heard - with the wash of your Crash cymbal in the verse sections perfectly EQ'd and timed, and all your playing, as always perfectly executed.
It's Chris Maitland on that track (and all of the Signify album) - not Gavin. Great drumming though, nonetheless.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Good View Post
It's Chris Maitland on that track (and all of the Signify album) - not Gavin. Great drumming though, nonetheless.
*blush* Don't I feel like a right royal charlie right now!
Sorry Gavin - disregard that section - but the rest still applies (Deadwing on repeat on my pc, my car and my home sound system, and all my drumming friends directed to your myspace project. Awesome stuff!)
Old 09-15-2008, 03:38 AM

Gavin,

Really nice work on the new Richard Barbieri album. On "All Fall Down", did you overdub the ride cymbal or are you playing those snare rolls between ride cymbal beats? Whatever it is, it's a great effect - almost Gadd-esque but still original. Danny Thompson sounds great on that song, too.

Thanks for you time,
Sol
Old 09-15-2008, 03:13 PM

hey gus
i think i have that dvd somewhere havent watched it yet
his 20" sonor jungle is simple brilliant sounding

hehe internal micing sounds like a major pain for his techy :P
any idea how he supports it inside ?
as in is it a clip mic or something else ?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Hi drumbumhamza

The mic is fixed at the drum using the screws that holds the hardware of the shell, not difficult i suppose. You can see pics and videos in that link

http://www.dwdrums.com/may/

And yes, Steve kick sounds good. He has new videos in his Drummerworld site, many thanks Bernhard you're great!!!, that may be seen.

Best regards

Last edited by Gus; 09-15-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 PM

Gavin,

Any more insight into those amazing "Crash bells" you are helping Zildjian to design? I was told by Zildjian that the R & D department is still working on them with you. Do you know if they'll be released in the near future or still too early to tell?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:24 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Sol Good

Really nice work on the new Richard Barbieri album. On "All Fall Down", did you overdub the ride cymbal or are you playing those snare rolls between ride cymbal beats? Whatever it is, it's a great effect - almost Gadd-esque but still original. Danny Thompson sounds great on that song, too.

Thanks. No overdubbing of cymbals - it was all played together. That wasn't even meant to be the take - I was just having a run through (which luckily was recorded) and Richard said that was exactly what he was looking for. Danny always sounds - and it's a pleasure to record him.

Hi gongbass

Any more insight into those amazing "Crash bells" you are helping Zildjian to design? I was told by Zildjian that the R & D department is still working on them with you. Do you know if they'll be released in the near future or still too early to tell?

Work in progress. I've got no news of a release for you.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-17-2008, 12:19 AM

Gavin,

I can't tell you how much of an honor it is to post this.... even if you don't find the time to reply. I'm a very recent fan of yours (approx 1 yr). After much soul searching, intensive thought experiments, and mathematical analysis, I have come to only one inevitable conclusion: you are not really from this planet. Being a drummer of many years, I am utterly dumbfounded watching you play. I just don't understand how you do it. To compound the problem, a friend just loaned me his copy of "Arriving Somewhere...". He might has well given me a vial of crack. The concert pounded me into speechlessness. If you knew me.... or my background..... only then would you know how much a feat that truly is. You are an amazing musician, and I deeply and humbly appreciate this forum thread which allows me to get this off my chest. Also, it is a rare thing for a person of your caliper to make themselves available to the general public...... which is just as amazing to me as your abilities.

OK, enough drool..... I'm happily married and not a stalker. The real reason for this post is to ask you a few things:

1.) Do you know of a drummer who you believe to be better than you? Better, of course, is a subjective term. (Good luck with this one)

2.) In studio videos, I see you wearing these huge cans..... probably for quality and isolation. In concert, you typically use the in-ear type of headphones..... no doubt good for extended wear and flexibility. 3 years ago, I invested in a pair of isolating headphones that have changed the way I listen to music..... Etymotic ER-4Ps. Please understand I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever.... I just love them so much, I had to tell you about them. I figure if I'm a fan of two things.... why not introduce them to each other? You should give them a try. If you did, you would not find a better solution for your needs. They don't noise "cancel".... they just isolate. They are linear, dynamic, and colorless. The only warning I have, is that you have to push them babies deeeeeeeeep into the canal for a good seal.... which provides a more robust response in the lower frequencies. I get the best response with they touch in the middle :) The better the seal, the better the isolation. The better the isolation, the better the dynamic range. The better the dynamic range, the less you have to crank them up to surpass external noise. The less you have to crank them up, the longer your ears will last. At first, they made my ears uncomfortable no doubt from something foreign they were not used to, but that went away after a short time. Oh, and by the way.... flip the cord so it runs down your back. You freak me out when I see the cord hanging down your front side. I keep thinking you'll get your arms tangled.................. freak!

3.) This is a more serious question. When you want to look at your home world, what type of telescope do you use?

Since I don't subscribe to the "whacked-out-fan-theory", this will be my one and only post..... unless of course I see you in a video with new headphones..... then I'm likely to ask you what you think about them.

Ultimate regards,
Brad
Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 PM

Hi Gavin,

One of the things i hoped to watch is you on the Modern Drummer Festival stage and... there you are. I can't be there in person but i just wanted to tell you that that makes me so happy because that's not a place for everybody and i was wondering y you had not been called there yet. Now i'm happy and i look forward to watch your "work" on the (i hope) future MD dvd.... some drummers are able to spread energy and inspiration to the people who can get'em.................... I hope you understand the big feelings of a real FAN that i am :)

Congratulations and 10q for your precious advices that are on any media around

Stefano
Old 09-20-2008, 12:18 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi bdbuss

1.) Do you know of a drummer who you believe to be better than you? Better, of course, is a subjective term. (Good luck with this one)

Ever drummer is better than me at being themselves, and likewise, I'm the only one who's perfect at doing "myself" (mistakes and all).

2.) In studio videos, I see you wearing these huge cans..... probably for quality and isolation. In concert, you typically use the in-ear type of headphones..... no doubt good for extended wear and flexibility. 3 years ago, I invested in a pair of isolating headphones that have changed the way I listen to music..... Etymotic ER-4Ps.

I've tried a couple of in-ear monitors but I'm not familiar with the ones you're describing. I prefer 'custom molds' because of the comfort and isolation.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-20-2008, 12:20 AM

Hi Gavin, just heard you are working with OSI that is great news. I was thinking of a British supergroup..try and hook up a trio with Justin Chancellor and Matt Bellamy and i would die happy!!

Also i asked you a few years ago if you knew Frost you said no. It's fronted by Jem Godfrey songwriter for Atomic Kitten and other 'bands'. Their new album will be a prog classic http://www.youtube.com/user/planetfrost

Cheers

Andy
Old 09-20-2008, 12:40 AM

Hey Gavin,

During the first verse of "Way Out of Here", amongst other things, it sounds like you are playing on the rims of your toms; are you? It sure sounds like it, and it is done so tastefully.

Thanks for your replies Gavin!

Brent
Old 09-22-2008, 05:08 AM
Silver Member

Gavin, nice to meet you at the MD Festival this weekend. Great performance and I was really liking your grooves and breakdown of the many odd-time signatured songs you played. I must admit, I lost counting sometimes! Something I have to work on, heh.

All the best, mate. See you again sometime!

Dominick
Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 PM

Hi Gavin,

Just saw a video of your performance on www.hudsonmusic.com/festival.
Congrats, it is sounding amazing as always. You never seize to amaze me with your playing.
Do you happen to know if your entire performance will be on the DVD or just portions?

I'll see you both days in Tilburg in a few weeks.
Hope to meet you after one of the shows.

Cheers,

Francis
Old 09-23-2008, 06:12 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Gavin....was great to meet and hang out. Your performance was entirely kick ass. I walked away with a head full of ideas!!! Haha.

Hope to see you again soon and travel safely back home.

Cheers.
D.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah Gavin, like the others said and more will tell you, your performance was awesome with lot of energy, creativity and musicality.

You're a freaking awesome drummer.

Ciao, take care & A+

My Kit Latest Update
Old 09-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Your performance was entirely kick ass. I walked away with a head full of ideas!!!
That happens to me too when I listen to Gavin's playing :)

I was watching a video of you at the MD festival, great performance! And what a beautiful kit, what kind is it? I find that finish very interesting.