DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

I heard that you were going to play with king crimson...Have you recorded something yet? I'm looking forward to hear the result!

Cheers!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Citizen Insane,

I noticed you seem to really like those puresound 8 strands on your snares. How do you think they improve the sound and sensitivity? How do they compare to the standard 20/16 strands.

I love them. I guess you'd have to try it to see what they're really like. I've always wanted articulation from a snare - there's little point playing intricate detail if the snare is 'baggy' and it comes out like a blur of white noise - plus I like a certain 'fatness' to my snare sound. After many years of experimenting I started to cut off the outside snares until I hit the 8 strand thing. It doesn't work on every single drum I've got - but 85% of them improved with those modified 8 strand snares. I've got to say that most of my drums sounded better anyway with Puresound snares (even before I cut them) - basically because they are such high quality.

Hi Kalma,

Do you think it's advisable for everyone (maybe me)? I don't really like long sustain, too.
Does a thicker shell also make the sound lower?

There are many factors involved and Angelo's post is very informative. It really comes down to you in the end and the sound that you want to make. Sonor offer 4 shell thicknesses and I felt like I wanted to try to use 3 of them in my newest kit. So far I'm very happy with it.

Hi DTrocks,

I heard that you were going to play with king crimson...Have you recorded something yet? I'm looking forward to hear the result!

Yes - we've finished the first rehearsal period which went very well. The rehearsals were recorded but I don't know if they'll ever be released. The concerts are in August. Check dgmlive.com for date announcements.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-23-2008, 05:37 AM

I don't believe this was posted, but if you guys/gals are curious to hear what the double drummer line up might sound like. They put up a sample of Gavin and Pat playing at the rehearsals:

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=16&show=1314

Fantastic stuff! Great job Gavin and Pat!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 PM

Hi Gavin! I must say I truly admire your work and I have a simple question.

About this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VoG7p1ona6Y

Could you explain how and what you do in the fill at 0:35?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibeachhead View Post
I don't believe this was posted, but if you guys/gals are curious to hear what the double drummer line up might sound like. They put up a sample of Gavin and Pat playing at the rehearsals:

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=16&show=1314

Fantastic stuff! Great job Gavin and Pat!
Thanks for posting this! Excellent drumming from both Gavin and Pat.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez- View Post
Hi Gavin! I must say I truly admire your work and I have a simple question.

About this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VoG7p1ona6Y

Could you explain how and what you do in the fill at 0:35?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hey jez,

Here's the fill you requested.

Have fun!

Terry
Attached Images

Last edited by Terry Branam; 04-23-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B. View Post
Hey jez,

Have fun!

Terry
Hi Terry, how are you?

I have a question about a fill in the same Vid, the fills happen between 2:47 and 2:48 coming off the Toms onto the Snare, could you shed some light on whats happening here please?

Hope you're well,

Kev
Old 04-24-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Howden View Post
Hi Terry, how are you?

I have a question about a fill in the same Vid, the fills happen between 2:47 and 2:48 coming off the Toms onto the Snare, could you shed some light on whats happening here please?

Hope you're well,

Kev
Hey Kev,

Here's an attempt at that fill. The toms are a slight bit unclear, but this is how I heard it.

Terry
Attached Images

Last edited by Terry Branam; 04-24-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:51 AM

Hey Gavin!

I've been listening to some of Porcupine Tree's older stuff lately, and I've been thinking... When you have to play a song live that was from before "In Absentia", do you have your own way of playing them or do you mimic the records? Or even if Porcupine Tree doesn't play pre-2002 music anymore live (do yall?), would you come up with your part or follow the recording?

Thanks!
~Joe
Old 04-25-2008, 12:52 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Joe P,
regarding the older PT pieces. I did learn quite a few - and paid attention to the parts that the previous drummer composed. I based my part on his but didn't copy it exactly, plus the more we played those tunes live the more my parts mutated into other things...but that's also true of the parts that I originally recorded on the newer PT albums. They kind of evolve of time.

Thanks once again to Terry B for some great transcription work.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-25-2008, 09:20 AM

Hi Gavin,

Just letting you know that i'm looking foward to seeing you tomorrow night at the Enmore.
You came at pretty much the worst time ever though.... there's been light showers for 8 days straight... that's a record that hasn't been broken here in about 15 years. Hope you have fun, i know i will. Can't wait!!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
Hi cantstandyourfunk
Gavin used this pedal:
Angelo, thanx a tonne. It's difficult to get a pair of Lonfboards in this part of the world, but luckily enough, I have a student who's been gifted one recently. Will try. I'm torn between Elims, ICs and now, the Longboards, really.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:00 PM

Hi Gavin,
Just got home after seeing PT at the Melbourne show. It would have to be one of the best gigs I have ever seen. For a band that has such a history of great albums it is amazing to see that the band live takes everything to a higher level. Your drum sound was outstanding and probably one of the best around that I have heard. It was great to see J. W. with the band in Australia. He seems to be an important part of the band now. Is he a permanent member now? Thanks for all the interest you take in the drumming community. It is rare to see someone with such talent share their knowledge so willingly with the less informed. (speaking for myself).
Looking forward to the next PT tour of OZ.
Regards

Baz
Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've been listening to you for a long time now since before you joined PT. I've always been a rudimental percussionist mostly focusing on latin percussion. I've recently started playing drumset and I just love your style and always have. I was wondering if there is anywhere that the studio version on youtube of futile is notated. That is the most incredible writing I've seen for a song and I'd love to learn every little bit. I've got all of your books and dvd's and study them daily but I'm interested in learning some of the more complex fills that you don't really go over in your stuff. Also, I was wondering if PT is going to be coming to Denver again this summer? Thanks Gavin!! Keep up the great playing and teaching!

Marc
Old 04-25-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstandyourfunk View Post
Angelo, thanx a tonne. It's difficult to get a pair of Lonfboards in this part of the world, but luckily enough, I have a student who's been gifted one recently. Will try. I'm torn between Elims, ICs and now, the Longboards, really.
Hi cantstandyourfunk
thanks a lot
Yes it's difficult to get a pair of Axis Longboards in Italy don't be exist. But,it is a eccellent pedal, for me is best drum pedal. Longboards is vary fast pedal increases leverage and power by allowing the entire leg (calf and knee) to be powerfully expressed with the utilization of heel-toe strokes.
http://www.axispercussion.com/images/A-L2_600.jpg
http://www.axispercussion.com/images/v_drive_600.jpg
Regards
Angelo
Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 AM

Hi Gaven, I just wanted to relate that a good member on the Sonor Forum made an SQ2 opposite to yours, with thicker toms and thinner floor toms, I believe influenced by Danny Carey. I have a Sonor Signature Bubinga Heavy 12mm Beech kit with a final floor tom is a 15" Signature. I ended up getting a 16" Phonics Plus 9mm Beech for the last floor tom as I waited over 2 years for the last Signature and it never showed up so I took a hint from the forum member and went thinner. I found that the thinner floor tom was a good way to go as opposed to thicker especially as I finished my kit for $150, then a 16 Signature did show up and went for $800, so I was glad I got the Phonic. I had the red wrap taken off and Bubinga veneer put in and out and I was very happy.

I got a Designer Five Star Ebony after hearing you play at the Montreal Drum Festivale two years back now. I wonder how much companies realize how many drums they sell when they are on stage at a Drum Festivale and comparisons can be made by all? I bought that kit because of hearing yours that day. I remember the Pearl Drummers Forum talk post show and everyone agreed hands down that your kit and in particular your floor toms were the best drums of the day, which was the last position, after Todd Sucherman and his sweet Pearl Kit. That was a big notch in the Sonor belt on the Pearl Forum. I see your point about floor toms and PA, You ovbiously know what your talking about because your floor toms were just sick that day. I had a thick kit but I wanted a thin shell after listening to yours.

My Ebony kit was played by Steve Smith and Thomas Lang before I got it. It came with Attack 2ply clear heads and they are the most incredible heads on Designers. I have pinstripes on the Signatures and look forward to putting Attack 2ply clear on them. Since I told the Sonor forum members that, several have gone that route on SQ2 and others kits like S Classix, etc and everyone just loves them. Have you ever tried these heads on your Sonors?

I will always remember that day, meeting you and your Sonors. Your a wonderful musician for Sonor to have and they are indeed the most incredible drums,Thick (12mm Beech) or Thin (Designers 6.2mm, Delites 4.5mm). I really enjoyed your first DVD and have used those principles effectively since. Thanks.

Last edited by junglelord; 04-26-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:25 AM

What kind of cymbal is this? ( The one i've marked with a red colour)
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2008, 12:02 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi MBruyere,

I was wondering if PT is going to be coming to Denver again this summer?

No plans to - sorry.

Hi junglelord,

Have you ever tried these (Attack 2ply clear) heads on your Sonors?

No I haven't. I'm happy with the Remo Coated Emperors at the moment.

Hi DTrocks,
that cymbal was a Zildjian 12" EFX Piggyback china. I don't think they make it anymore.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

a friend of mine wondered, if your designer set with Earth Finish was high gloss painted..
(The one you used in the dvd(s?))
Old 04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

Hi again,

sorry for the double-post.

@Gavin: Why don't you start a "wallpaper-section" on your site?
I just created one wallpaper and had the idea...

What do you think?
Here's my Wallpaper:
http://vs165143.vserver.de/stixcontr...n_harrison.jpg

It's for a screen with 1280*800
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 AM

G'day Gavin. I just wanted to say that the PT show in Melbourne last Friday night was mind blowing. Absolutely incredible musicianship displayed by all of you, it was even better than I expeceted it to be, and I had very high expectations! I couldn't believe the progression you have all made since the arriving somewhere DVD, and you especially. Your recorded work is all incredible but the live show was so amazing, without a doubt the best experience of my life. If I can ever put a show together that's half as good as what I saw you do I will die happy and totally fulfilled.

Ok, I've finished the gushing fanboy thing now. Only negative thing I have to say is that the security were even worse than security guys usually are, absolute dicks. I would suggest that you try and specify a different company next time you play here (which I hope will be soon). You guys met a mate of mine, Will, who couldn't get in round the front. He ended up happy though, since he got in back stage. But I did see a few people get chucked out for no reason. They threw out a girl because she was apparently hanging around in the wrong spot, she was in tears out the front trying to convince them to let her back in.

Amazing show though. Keep up the excellent work.

PS. Tell Colin he's incredibly groovy for me.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 PM

hello gavin

im sure youv been asked this question a lotta times before.....but what pedals are you currently using

iv been using mapex janus and now its time for an upgrade so im confused between
1) iron cobras
2) pearl eliminators
3) dw 9000
4) sonor giant step (wayyyyy outa budget :( )

any recommendations ?

also my jaw fell to the floor after i watched arriving somewhere (including the cymbal song)....you guys take improvisation to the next level

FOAB and nil recurring have been on my playlist for ages now
i can play only parts of those songs haha you seemed too have pushed the limits of technical drumming to a place outa bounds for me :P

finally id like to know if tool, meshuggah and king crimson (minus the solo) influenced PTs song writing style in the last 4 albums

cheers
hamza (BIGGGG fan from india :) )
Old 04-28-2008, 06:28 PM

oh and one more thing
iv considered telling you this for ages but somehow never got down to doing it

in dec 06 i met Virgil Donati after his gig here in Mumbai
we ended up having a little chat and somewhere during the course of that i mentioned your name and he seemed reaaaallly impressed with your playing
he said he loved your technique and style and that your one of the most promising drummers around :)
i coudlnt have agreed more
Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B. View Post
Hey jez,

Have fun!

Terry
It's not correct to me.
The flams are on the toms with the right hand.
It's basically a 5 stroke roll with the last (or first) note playes as a flam between the snare and the toms.

L(f)*R* LLRR cycling...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbumhamza View Post
hello gavin

im sure youv been asked this question a lotta times before.....but what pedals are you currently using

iv been using mapex janus and now its time for an upgrade so im confused between
1) iron cobras
2) pearl eliminators
3) dw 9000
4) sonor giant step (wayyyyy outa budget :( )
I believe Gavin is still using the Axis Longboards.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...xis#post365993
Old 04-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Gavin -

I recently saw the announcement from Porcupine Tree that you will be recording a new DVD during a short European tour this October. Looking forward to that! The announcement also stated, "this will be the final time that the Fear of a Blank Planet tour repertoire will be performed"

Does this mean that you won't be performing the "Fear of" songs ever again or just not all those songs in that combination?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
I believe Gavin is still using the Axis Longboards.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...xis#post365993
oh :( i dont like the feel of those....too light
between the given options, which ones would you suggest ?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 AM

I don't think this is a decision that can easily be made by anyone other than yourself. If you have access to a music store that caries this variety of pedals, I would say give them all a fair try and go with whatever best suits your feet and your wallet. Personal preference, as well as to what one has grown accustomed, is worth more than the testimony of others.

Quote:
oh :( i dont like the feel of those....too light
between the given options, which ones would you suggest ?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:48 PM

Hi Gavin,

Since we're on the topic of BD pedals and such, I had a question about your choice of beaters. You had mention before that you use Pearl BD beaters (the one that you sometimes break while performing). Is it the 4-sided, the 2-sided, or some other Pearl model?

What qualities of your chosen beater outweigh the hazards of possible in-show breakage?

By the way, high five to you and the rest of PT for releasing your work on DVD-A. Far too few musical acts take advantage of the benefits of advanced resolution audio. I am glad that you guys are among the minority.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 04-29-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
I don't think this is a decision that can easily be made by anyone other than yourself. If you have access to a music store that caries this variety of pedals, I would say give them all a fair try and go with whatever best suits your feet and your wallet. Personal preference, as well as to what one has grown accustomed, is worth more than the testimony of others.
aaah now there in lies the problem my friend
haha out here in india we dont have the concept of trying a pedal out
sigh
the only pedal that can be tried out is probably a mapex pedal
hopefully theyr gona launch pearl here in june so.....
dw is never gona come to india for reasons unknown to me
so im left with asking people :( and gettin used to what i get
hehe
Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM

I guess I assumed that if you had the chance to conclude that the Axis pedals were too light that maybe you had the chance to try out some other pedals.

What do you find lacking in the Janus pedals you have now?

Quote:
aaah now there in lies the problem my friend
haha out here in india we dont have the concept of trying a pedal out
sigh
the only pedal that can be tried out is probably a mapex pedal
hopefully theyr gona launch pearl here in june so.....
dw is never gona come to india for reasons unknown to me
so im left with asking people :( and gettin used to what i get
hehe
Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 PM

that's my friend hamza right there. and "promising" isn't really a word that i'd use for Gavin, lol. wizard, more likely.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:24 AM

Hey Gavin! I see that you like the Pearl ICON racks. Do you have a preference as far as the curved/straight option goes? If so, why?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstandyourfunk View Post
that's my friend hamza right there. and "promising" isn't really a word that i'd use for Gavin, lol. wizard, more likely.
hahah i dint say that i just qouted/misqouted virgil :P
what i meant was that gavin doesnt just have fans like us....but also those in the big league :)
and i found it fascinating to discuss one of my fav drummers with another of my favs :) kinda weird hehe

@ baniels : a couple of my friends bought the longboards....(imported from USA) tried them out there
somehow i couldn feel the punch.....also i couldnt manage to set the pedal so as to get the beaters to vibrate in unison

i LOOOVEEEE my janus right pedal
but the slave mechanism is kinda sloppy
besides the hardware is more or less rusted or worn out 3.5 yrs :)
so ya
if i only i could try the giant steps man
im sure that would convince me to shell out that kinda money
Old 05-01-2008, 03:41 AM

You guys were awesome in Sydney the other night (you were obviously amazing too). I was so glad that you played that hatesong breakdown part with the drums at the forefront.... it was perfect.
Best show i've been to. Keep it up and thanks for coming and touring here.... i thought it'd never happen.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayl20 View Post
You guys were awesome in Sydney the other night (you were obviously amazing too). I was so glad that you played that hatesong breakdown part with the drums at the forefront.... it was perfect.
Best show i've been to. Keep it up and thanks for coming and touring here.... i thought it'd never happen.
I can't agree with Ayl20 more! The Enmore, Sydney concert was spectacular Gavin! It was like a drum clinic and unbelievable concert all in one. I drove 10hrs to come see you guys and I'd do it again anytime without hesitation! : )

I have one question to ask you: If it is at all possible, could you put up the set list/song order from the Sydney show? I recall a few of the songs but got so caught up in all the excitement I couldn't remember in which order they went? Thinking back from memory I have something along the lines of -
F.O.A.B.P, What Happens Now?, Anesthetize, Lazarus, The Sound Of Muzak, Blackest Eyes, Way Outta Here, Open Car, Shallow, Sleep Together, Hatesong, Start Of Something Beautiful, Trains and Halo to finish up in spectacular form! Please correct this if any are wrong here or if I missed out on a few.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks kindly for your time and an unreal night, you made this Porcupine Tree follower very happy!
Cheers,
Shauno
Old 05-02-2008, 09:44 AM

Hi Shauno,

http://www.last.fm/user/HDcomics/jou.../04/27/710754/

Dre
Old 05-03-2008, 01:14 AM

I know that there is a transcription for the groove at 5:13 in "What Happens Now?" and I've used the thread search and looked all over the thread, but I can find it. Can someone help me out?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakydutch View Post
I know that there is a transcription for the groove at 5:13 in "What Happens Now?" and I've used the thread search and looked all over the thread, but I can find it. Can someone help me out?
Here you go:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...?t=698&page=54

#1872 down the page.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Cheers Drizzle,
It's just what I was looking for! : )
Dark Matter was the tune I didn't recognize at the concert? I guess I'll have to update my P-Tree collection asap!

Thanks again,
Shauno