DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hello Gavin. Could you tell what hihats do you play on that 05ric rehearsal video where you play in a studio. Do you also play same hats on the Asian clinic tour announcement video? Thanks :)

Last edited by scottishhaggis; 09-12-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Xero Talent

Just wanted to pop in and say I'll be checking out your Clinic here in Ottawa on Sept 25!!

Great - see you there.

Hi scottishhaggis

Could you tell what hihats do you play on that 05ric rehearsal video where you play in a studio. Do you also play same hats on the Asian clinic tour announcement video?

Yes they're the same hi hats - even though my ones say "Sound Lab Prototypes" I can confirm that they are the new Constantinople 14" hi hats by Zildjian - and they're amazing!

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 PM

Hey Gavin! First of all: you're probably my favourite drummer of all time, and I think it's awesome you take the time to answer people's questions on here. Second of all, a few questions of my own...

What kind of pillow or padding do you use inside your bass drum, and do you press it right against the batter head?

What is your technique exactly for those wicked little rolls you use in between beats a lot? (i.e. 1:30 in Way Out of Here)

Are you planning on coming to Toronto or Hamilton any time soon?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi EasterInTheBatcave

What kind of pillow or padding do you use inside your bass drum, and do you press it right against the batter head?

it's a heavy pillow stuffed with feathers - and yes it presses up against the batter head.

What is your technique exactly for those wicked little rolls you use in between beats a lot? (i.e. 1:30 in Way Out of Here)

They're just 5 stroke rolls rrllr

Are you planning on coming to Toronto or Hamilton any time soon?

next week actually!! Please pass the news onto any of your Canadian drumming friends.
Name:  Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 18.33.46.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  521.3 KB

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 PM

Hello Gavin, me again here. Regarding your last answer about the hats. Constantinoples are probably very great ones to play. Are you playing them only for the clinics and 05ric or have you completely switched to them? Are they any good for heavier music? It seems that this is a switch from 13 inch to 14 inch. What made you switch the size? Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM

hello Gavin!
Sorry for talking again about your custom bell's ! I tryed to look if I can find the answer in the other pages, but with my english, it's too hard to read all the forum!!!
I must cut some broken crashes to do a litlle rack like you. I've got a 14" K thin crask, 15" A custom and a 16 A custom. My question is how to determinate witch one will be the little bell, the medium, etc. Big crash = big bell (6") and little crash = little bell (4") ? I don't want to do a mistake when I'm going to cut the cymbals... I imagine you tried different configuration before finding the sound you wanted.
Also, is it possible to find your DVD subtitled in French?

Thanks a lot, this is a chance to talk with you and follow this forum. Unfortunately, I discovered too late to read all...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Gavin, when you played your solo on Letterman did you have a click in your ears or were you "free ballin'", so to speak? I noticed the band all came in exactly where they were supposed to without a count in, which they didn't do when Dennis Chambers soloed (and he didn't use ears).

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin, just wanna say Can't wait to see you when you come to KL in Malaysia for a Clinic! :D

Take Care.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:34 PM

Hi Gavin

I am studying for my BA Hon in drums and part of the examination process is a study of an artist and the techniques/tools they employ. To accompany this a transcription showing their use. The artist I chose is you. Your drumming has really inspired me, particularly your ability to groove no matter how technical the parts you are playing.

I was hoping you might be able to point out specific concepts you employ, from either of your books, within your Porcupine Tree drumming and give examples.

Any help/insight will be greatly appreciated.
Keep up the fantastic drumming,

Alex
Old 09-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabuchnok View Post
hello Gavin!
Sorry for talking again about your custom bell's ! I tryed to look if I can find the answer in the other pages, but with my english, it's too hard to read all the forum!!!
I must cut some broken crashes to do a litlle rack like you. I've got a 14" K thin crask, 15" A custom and a 16 A custom. My question is how to determinate witch one will be the little bell, the medium, etc. Big crash = big bell (6") and little crash = little bell (4") ? I don't want to do a mistake when I'm going to cut the cymbals... I imagine you tried different configuration before finding the sound you wanted.

Thanks a lot, this is a chance to talk with you and follow this forum. Unfortunately, I discovered too late to read all...
You might find this thread helpful - I've made 25 DIY bells during the last few months (inspired by Gavin!) and towards the end of that thread are the materials I used to build some bell holders and their dimensions.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=92087

You don't need to pre-determine the pitch of the cymbals. (I think their pitch is pre-determined due to their design - material, bell size). Just identify a reasonable diameter for each cymbal for the bell. Make sure you have some 1 cm or 1/2 inch of bow around the bell (the area where the bell ends and the 'flat' part begins) - this is to provide a strong and clear tone. If you cut too much material around the bell (or even into the bell area) the result will most likely sound thin and won't have enough volume to cut through. So just go for the bell size each cymbal 'wants'. Then _after_ the cutting you'll see what you have and how to combine them in a useable way.

I learned that basically all of those 25 bells I've done relate in pitch but some don't fit well together as their pitch relations are a bit off - they come close but not enough to make a 'family'. Also, you don't need to re-create diatonic scales with your bells. They also sound great with some bigger intervals than, say, thirds. I think Gavin's bells aren't forming a continuous diatonic scale.

I guess (never tried this) that if you find that some bells _almost_ make a great combination but some are too low in pitch, maybe reducing the diameter slightly (provided there's enough bow material left) would raise the pitch just enough/as needed. I'm lucky to have enough bells to simply select them as they turned out.

BTW - Gavin:
Thank you so much! It was your solo on the Letterman show which made me aware of those cool chimes so I decided to make some myself. That 5-way bell holder is a cool idea, too! Thank you for the fun this journey has brought me!!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:50 AM

Gavin,

A question about endorsements. When you are endorsed by a company (ie- Zildjian/Sonor etc) do they pay you to "advertise" their products? Do you have to pay for the equipment or do they provide it for you? Also, do you get to keep whatever you use after a certain amount of time? I was just curious as to what it means to be "endorsed".

Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi scottishhaggis

Regarding your last answer about the hats. Constantinoples are probably very great ones to play. Are you playing them only for the clinics and 05ric or have you completely switched to them? Are they any good for heavier music? It seems that this is a switch from 13 inch to 14 inch. What made you switch the size?

I don't think the Constantinoples could take the kind of volumes that I play with PT. I quite often change all my cymbals in size and type amongst the vast variety of exciting cymbals that Zildjian offer. Probably by the next PT tour they will have changed again. I've been enjoying larger cymbals in general - 21" and 22" rides 14" hi hats and so on.

Hi kalabuchnok

the Zildjian cymbals that have the medium bell 13" to 17" were the ones that I cut. The pitch was more determined by the thickness of the cymbal. I never made one that I didn't like. If the pitch was too close to one I had already made I just made it smaller and it went higher in pitch. Sorry but none of my DVDs have been subtitled into French. I wish they were!

Hi NerfLad

Gavin, when you played your solo on Letterman did you have a click in your ears or were you "free ballin'", so to speak? I noticed the band all came in exactly where they were supposed to without a count in, which they didn't do when Dennis Chambers soloed (and he didn't use ears).

there were a number of challenges to that Letterman performance. They asked me to play a drum solo but to also include the excellent house band. I thought long and hard about what I could do. I knew what I didn't want to do - a free form showing off solo demonstrating how fast I could go - which would almost guarantee that it would come out as a load of rubbish. I wanted it to be part of a tune - and I thought of "The Chicken" as it would be an easy tune to play and that the band would have no trouble with it. Plus it's a good tempo for soloing on.
We played the head of the tune and then in 16 bar sections I soloed and they played the riff over bar 16 so it made musical sense and kept the band involved.
For the performance to be just under 3 and a half minutes (which they were very strict about) I decided to do it with a click. That way I wouldn't start off too fast or too slow (and believe me with that amount of adrenalin I could have started off at twice that tempo) and it was a way that I could play whatever I wanted in terms of polyrhythms and odd groupings without losing the band. So that was the easiest - path of least resistance - I could think of. It meant that I could rehearse at home to that exact tempo and arrangement and be as prepared as I could.
I didn't plan every note but prepared certain ideas that would flow into each other from section to section.

Hi BabyBob

just wanna say Can't wait to see you when you come to KL in Malaysia for a Clinic! :D

Great - see you there.

Hi Alex Temperley

I am studying for my BA Hon in drums and part of the examination process is a study of an artist and the techniques/tools they employ. To accompany this a transcription showing their use. The artist I chose is you. Your drumming has really inspired me, particularly your ability to groove no matter how technical the parts you are playing.
I was hoping you might be able to point out specific concepts you employ, from either of your books, within your Porcupine Tree drumming and give examples.

Thanks for thinking of me. If you have my books Rhythmic Illusions, Rhythmic Perspectives and Rhythmic Designs you'll see how 'rhythmic manipulation' (through displacement and modulation) is probably the concept that I use the most. If you're familiar with my recorded work with PT and O5Ric you'll easily see how I put that into practise.

Hi Arky

Thank you so much! It was your solo on the Letterman show which made me aware of those cool chimes so I decided to make some myself. That 5-way bell holder is a cool idea, too! Thank you for the fun this journey has brought me!!

thanks for exploring the 'cymbal cutting' - and going much further than I went with it. I read your thread about it - great stuff - good work!!!

Hi euphoric_anomaly

A question about endorsements. When you are endorsed by a company (ie- Zildjian/Sonor etc) do they pay you to "advertise" their products? Do you have to pay for the equipment or do they provide it for you? Also, do you get to keep whatever you use after a certain amount of time? I was just curious as to what it means to be "endorsed".

I have never received money to play a certain product. Nearly all of the products that I endorse - I was playing and buying before hand. I would not want to endorse something that I didn't love - just because it was free. Most major companies run an endorser program - and they may offer a drummer a sliding scale of endorsement depending on your status as a player. That is to say how well known you are - NOT necessarily how GOOD you are.
My first endorsement was a kind of 'Silver endorsement' which meant that the company sold the equipment to me at a reduced price. I was delighted with that of course. They didn't put me in their adverts nor invite me to make drum clinics for them. I never thought that the endorsement would validate or elevate me as a player. I was a small gamble for them - they didn't lose any money but they invested in a young 'up and coming' player.
With the endorsements I have now - I get the equipment for free - but it doesn't belong to me - I can't sell it. It belongs to the companies (like a long term loan) - and they often upgrade my stuff with the latest versions as they come out. They give me worldwide support - so if I fly to a far off country they could supply me with the gear I need in that country. That is of GREAT value of course. I make drum clinic tours - which is usually initiated by one of the companies (and the others make a smaller financial contribution to help with the costs as well as supply their equipment to use on the clinics). I do get paid for those events - but the cost is normally split across all the companies and the shop or drum festival that is hosting it.
It's quite a complicated process in arranging, hosting and paying the expenses for a clinic. The endless comments on FaceBook "Hey Dude why don't you play a clinic in XXX my home town" ...are not really that useful. I don't get to choose or decide the exact locations of where the clinics are made.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
With the endorsements I have now - I get the equipment for free - but it doesn't belong to me - I can't sell it. It belongs to the companies (like a long term loan) - and they often upgrade my stuff with the latest versions as they come out.
So nowadays you don't actually own any of the instruments? Or are there situations where
you say "wow I absolutely love this drumset and want to really own it", and then you're
paying for it?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 PM

Thanks Arko, your post have been helpfull!
Thanks Gavin for your help, don't forget your french fans in the next DVD !
Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 AM

Hi Gavin, I was too excited while I heard the news about your Asia clinic in hk!!!
I appreciate that you spend time to answer alot of questions here, you did help me to get much better drum sound in recording, although I'm not a drummer, I'm your fan!
just one question, will you have a break for taking pics and autography in the clinic? I'm ready to take your records there. haha

KinChung
Old 09-18-2012, 04:10 AM

Gavin,

Just viewed the Pro-Elite video you did for Sonor's new set. Sounds incredible but I must ask, where did you film that? lol, it looks like some abandoned warehouse. I couldn't believe the acoustics sounded that good in such an open space. I must say the worst place I've ever played my drums was in the basement (not sure what the english term for that is), but basically the foundation of the house. Sounds horrible, echoing all over the walls/floor.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Swiss Matthias

So nowadays you don't actually own any of the instruments? Or are there situations where you say "wow I absolutely love this drumset and want to really own it", and then you're paying for it?

Correct - I don't actually own the equipment that you see me play. I do still have a couple of kits from the old days plus a load of old cymbals and snare drums.

Hi communion

I was too excited while I heard the news about your Asia clinic in hk!!!
I appreciate that you spend time to answer alot of questions here, you did help me to get much better drum sound in recording, although I'm not a drummer, I'm your fan!
just one question, will you have a break for taking pics and autography in the clinic? I'm ready to take your records there. haha

yes I'm sure there will be time to say hello and sign your records. See you there.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Just viewed the Pro-Elite video you did for Sonor's new set. Sounds incredible but I must ask, where did you film that? lol, it looks like some abandoned warehouse. I couldn't believe the acoustics sounded that good in such an open space.

It's filmed in a remote corner of the Sonor factory in Germany. It sounded quite good in there actually.

here's a recent interview that I made for the excellent iDrum magazine - and I play a couple of songs from my newest record with 05Ric. You can read and watch the entire magazine online:

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-09-17 at 21.00.28.png
Views: 1260
Size:  424.9 KB

http://magazine2.idrummag.com/issue12/page/1

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Just watched through your iDrum interview, Gavin, excellent stuff, really eye-opening.

The whole story behind your collaboration with 05Ric was pretty cool, it's similar to what I'm currently going through as a frustrated "songsmith". Would I be right in assuming that there's tons of recorded drum patterns and ideas and fragments of songs stored away somewhere looking for the rest of the song someday... or are you writing/composing just enough to fill the CD?

Also, I noticed you have a microphone fairly close in over your ride in your home setup. I couldn't figure out what it was from the video or from your equipment list, and I don't remember seeing you close-miking your ride before this. What model is it, and is this something you do "only at home"?

Looking forward to the next project, whatever it is! Cheers.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 AM

Hi Gavin

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have Rhythmic Illusions and Perspectives but not Designs. I live in South Africa and it's a bit hard to come by music and books that aren't mainstream. Rhythmic Illusions and Perspectives I only acquired recently (last week) and haven't had enough time with them to digest the concepts so spotting them within your music isn't that obvious to me just yet.

I was very fortunate to have been put onto PT whilst visiting the UK and have been moved by your drumming. In my opinion you are definitely one of the most tasteful drummers out there. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing 05Ric yet but about to youtube it.

In another post you said the sponsor chooses where you do your clinics. Any chance you might come to South Africa? Benny Greb came last year and Jojo Mayer is performing on 7th/8th of October (both Sonor artists). Also from Sonor we've had Marco Minneman, Steve Smith, and Derek Roddy. Would be amazing for you to also grace our shores.

Hope you are well,
Alex
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 PM

Hi Gavin,

The iDrum Magazine interview is very informative and a joy to listen to. I really appreciate the time you took to prepare those drum clips and explaining the drum patterns.

I loved the big band "Killer Joe" and "Futile" but I didn't know you were planning to release a full big band album with Porcupine Tree songs. I think that's a fantastic idea and I can't wait to hear other songs. What did other band members think of this idea? And if it's not a secret, what songs have you covered so far?

Thanks again for the interview, it's very interesting.

Maurish
Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

That iDrum Magazine interview was a treat indeed, extremely enjoyable and had tons of infos! That magazine itself made a pretty good impression on me, too. They really put some love and effort in that work.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM

Hey Gavin!

I watched your interview in the iDrum magazine. Very interesting one, i like how you think of the box! Its very inspiring! I hope your having fun playing around here in Canada! Maybe i'll be able to make it to Montreal next sunday for your clinic! Let's cross fingers !

Here's my question:
You incorporate a lot of linear drumming in your playing. David Garibaldi, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta just to mention these, are masters at it. Did you learned from particular books? Or just emulated the grooves you've heard from other players? I've been using Future Sounds and transcribing some grooves but there is so much material out there! Im not quite sure where to start... Any suggestions?

Thanks again!!!

Ethan D.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 AM

Hey Gavin,

I was just curious as to whether or not, outside of your time drumming and your occasional bike ride, do you do anything to stay in shape? Not necessarily "strength" conditioning, but more so endurance conditioning? Ever go running or anything? Just curious.

My best,

- Danny
Old 09-21-2012, 11:36 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi alparrott

Would I be right in assuming that there's tons of recorded drum patterns and ideas and fragments of songs stored away somewhere looking for the rest of the song someday... or are you writing/composing just enough to fill the CD?

Yes I've got a lot of ideas stored on my hard drives. Some of them are quite developed and some are just one basic groove. I have also filmed about 100 drum ideas with my Zoom Q3 HD. I find it easier to quickly film myself playing something than writing it out. If I really want to analyse it I will transcribe it later - but it's useful for me to see how I played it when reviewing it months or years later.

Also, I noticed you have a microphone fairly close in over your ride in your home setup. I couldn't figure out what it was from the video or from your equipment list, and I don't remember seeing you close-miking your ride before this. What model is it, and is this something you do "only at home"?

Yes I normally put an AKG CK391 on it just in case I want to bring it out in the mix a little more than it is in the overhead mics. I have a 'crash guard' around it just to cut down on the spill from the crashes that are close to it.

Hi Alex Temperley

In another post you said the sponsor chooses where you do your clinics. Any chance you might come to South Africa?

No plans to at the moment. I enjoyed my time there in Capetown in 1997.

Hi Maurish

I loved the big band "Killer Joe" and "Futile" but I didn't know you were planning to release a full big band album with Porcupine Tree songs. I think that's a fantastic idea and I can't wait to hear other songs. What did other band members think of this idea? And if it's not a secret, what songs have you covered so far?

The other guys have liked the stuff I've played them so far. I can't tell you all of the song list as I haven't finished the writing and arranging yet.

Hi ProgJazzy(QC)

You incorporate a lot of linear drumming in your playing. David Garibaldi, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta just to mention these, are masters at it. Did you learned from particular books? Or just emulated the grooves you've heard from other players? I've been using Future Sounds and transcribing some grooves but there is so much material out there! Im not quite sure where to start... Any suggestions?

I studied Future Sounds too and the Gary Chaffee books plus I transcribed a lot of Steve Gadd back in my earlier years. Playing linear patterns are quite challenging from a timing point of view because you're not holding the time with one hand and referencing everything else off that. The time is held between all the limbs at different times like a jigsaw puzzle - so you need to be very accurate for it to sound good.

Hi HutchinsonDrummer

I was just curious as to whether or not, outside of your time drumming and your occasional bike ride, do you do anything to stay in shape? Not necessarily "strength" conditioning, but more so endurance conditioning? Ever go running or anything? Just curious.

No I don't find time to do any other exercising - I normally play the drums 2-3 hours a day anyway. If I have a big tour coming up then I ride the bike more to feel like I'm getting my endurance up a bit.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-21-2012, 07:17 PM

Thanks for getting back to me on the Monkey Puzzle Studio thing. Bonnie the Cat was named after Rupert Matthews' cat, right? :)

Also, just a quick question, do you ever clean your cymbals? If so, how often, and how do you do it?

Thank you for your time, Gavin! :)

Cameron ~ A Depeer Dreed.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:53 AM

Welcome back to Canada Gavin! I'll be seeing you at the Halifax clinic on Monday. It`s a beautiful city....I hope you have the chance to look around, and experience some of that Canadian East Coast hospitality!

Looking forward to the clinic!!!

Kevin
Old 09-25-2012, 01:47 AM

Thx for the great clinic yesterday in Montreal Gavin!!! Everyone had a blast and i hope you did too!

Also thank you for answering my question on the feet articulation. Hearing a perfect unison between the hi-hat and the bass drum is much harder to hear than a bass drum and snare unison... I'll apply those "tongue twisters" to see how far, in control and precise i can be!

Thanks, Ethan!

P.S. (Nice one trying to fool us with cheating the polygraph and mother and child divided haha!)
Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Silver Member

Looking forward to seeing you tonight here in Ottawa, Gavin. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Cheers!
Chris
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Hi Gavin,

As a 'master of beat manipulation', I'd be keen on some advice from you on five-note groupings.

The latest Rythmn magazine has a nice linear fill exercise where a group of 32 16th notes is broken up into six groups of five notes and then two notes, equalling, of course, 32 notes.

I'm pretty good with odd times, displacement etc, but I'm finding this one tough.

The excercise is placed in context with a 4/4 groove and the fill pushes and pulls the beat in a very interesting manner.

The problem is I can only manage it by playing along to a click and closing my eyes and counting, which isn't the most musical or smooth way to do it!

I pretty much lose track of the underlying 4/4 groove totally.

Any tips on 'feeling' the excercise as opposed to counting it?

cheers...
Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 PM

Made it to the clinic last night, got there late and had to leave early (Sorry Gavin! You were fantastic!) but snapped a few pics.

The Sonor Prolite sounded great, 10-12-14-16-18-20 14 snare (I think).

Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickropolis View Post
The Sonor Prolite sounded great, 10-12-14-16-18-20 14 snare (I think).]
I guess it's 8-10-12 racktoms?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:18 PM

Hey Gavin,

I just saw your Explanation for Bonnie The Cat from Guitar Center Sessions.
I found out, that I had been listening to it "wrong", because I thought the open hihat is on 2e and 3e, instead of 2 and 4, so it heard it desplaced by an 8th note. This means the whole beat starts on 1e, which is a cool effect i think.

Well, I just thougt i could be funny for you to listen to this song like that too, maybe you get some ideas out of it.

Greetings
Michel
Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 PM

Hi Gavin!

I am doing an audition in a month or so, and I have to choose one song to play in front of the judges; I chose The Sound of Muzak. I have a question about what you're doing during the guitar solo towards the middle. A few measures before you going onto the ride you do two little fills with open and closed hi-hat and the snare drum. Can you help me with what your really doing. I watched the Modern Drummer DVD several times and it just goes by way too fast for me to understand what's going on. The other part is the fill before you go back into the chorus.

Thanks a lot if you read this and I just want to let you know that you inspire me as a drummer and as a musician.

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Holy Carp Gavin!...over a million views!

Thanks for participating!!...learned loads thanks to your contributions!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:05 AM

Hi Gavin,
What is your thought about using a drum riser in your home studio ?
************************************************** **************************************
Excellent video/interview on IDRUM MAGAZINE !!
Gavin can make a video about gear/brands to be funny and informative (last video of the interview).
I didnīt know about your elbow problem.
Iīm glad it moved out.

Thanks Gavin !!

Last edited by Juan Exposito; 09-27-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:05 AM

Hi Gavin,
First of all, thank you for an amazing clinic in Ottawa last night, and thank you for signing my sticks! (You said you've had lots of practice. I hope that I never have to practice signing an autograph on drumsticks. There's drumming to be done!)
I recognized that you made a big band version of Futile, but I stopped trying to identify the second PT song for big band halfway through and focused on your inspiring drumming. What was the second big band song you played? I guess I'm just not that good at translating swing to straight to identify a tune.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:06 PM

Hi Gavin,

I apologize in advance if you've already answered this question 40,000 times. What are the differences between your "Futile" double bass pattern (you know, the one that leaves the audiences jaw on the floor) and Meshuggah's "Bleed"? They both sound like they have a 8th or 16th note rest before repeating again. Sorry if the question sounds confusing, I really don't read transcriptions well enough to look at it myself and say "Ahhh, that's it!".

Thanks

Eric
Old 09-29-2012, 04:33 AM

Gavin-
Wondering how to go about getting in touch with you regarding a clinic and your fees, sponsors, etc?

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
Hi Gavin,

I apologize in advance if you've already answered this question 40,000 times. What are the differences between your "Futile" double bass pattern (you know, the one that leaves the audiences jaw on the floor) and Meshuggah's "Bleed"? They both sound like they have a 8th or 16th note rest before repeating again. Sorry if the question sounds confusing, I really don't read transcriptions well enough to look at it myself and say "Ahhh, that's it!".

Thanks

Eric
The pattern during that section of Futile is four 32nd notes leading up to a down beat in a 6/8 feel (until there is another snare/hi hat beat claiming a different time signature), whereas Bleed is (primarily) continuously two 32nds followed by two 16ths in a 4/4 feel.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoodruff View Post
The pattern during that section of Futile is four 32nd notes leading up to a down beat in a 6/8 feel (until there is another snare/hi hat beat claiming a different time signature), whereas Bleed is (primarily) continuously two 32nds followed by two 16ths in a 4/4 feel.
Excellent, thank you so much for clearing that up.