DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Guys - thanks for all the kind words about the Letterman performance. I had a blast.

Hi DTrocks

I read an entry on Tamas Facebook page promoting your appearance on the David Letterman show! It stated that you were a speed cobra endorse. Do you play those exclusively now? I believed you were an axis guy?

Yes I just play the Speedcobras now - and they are really really good. I did spend 9 very happy years playing Axis - and they are great too.

Hi THRAK

Seeing as how you're not known for doing drum solos, how did you approach this? Apart from the full band sections, how much was improvised and how much was planned out?

It was pretty planned out (small amounts of improve in there) - I wasn't going to risk a complete improve under those conditions. As George Jessel once said "The human brain starts working the moment you are born and never stops until you stand up to speak in public." Same thing happens with drum solos.

got to run to the airport now.
Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

I really felt for you. The first thing I thought was man, he must be horrified. I think many drummers get nervous before the solo. But a solo before millions of folks . . . You really nailed it. Congrats!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 PM

Fantastic performance Gavin!

Were those the Gavin Harrison signature sticks used in the performance?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Swiss Matthias

your ability to concentrate and focus must be exceptional. How
did you work on that? Is it mostly the tape recording and listening back thing, or
are there other things that helped you or still help you?

there were a lot of distractions - apart from the incredible surreal feeling of being on that stage at the Letterman show. I just tried to remember what I wanted to play and focus on the music.

Hi Pollyanna

I'm curious about how you and the orchestra synched up mid-solo. Please tell me it wasn't just counting bars to a click! :) Fabulous drumming BTW. Are you still playing with Bob Fripp and co?

It was just pure magic !!!! :-)
The last thing I did with Robert Fripp was the recently released "Scarcity Of Miracles" album.

Hi Arky

I find that herta foot pattern you played in combination with those small cymbals very impressive, it reminds me of the pattern on the MESHUGGAH song "Bleed". Didn't that herta pattern take at least some practice??

I'd love to say that I just thought of it there and then and tried it for the first time on live national TV...(or maybe I've been practising it for last 25 years). haha.

Hi astroandy

My question: Does it feel more natural to you to play jazz?

not really - I enjoy anyway of playing the drums.

Hi Deathtoll

You ever think about drumming for more free jazz, big band or classical pieces?

yes I do.

Hi gibeachhead

Were those the Gavin Harrison signature sticks used in the performance?

yes they were...and they're coming out later this year. I love 'em.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 08-24-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

As uncomfortable as you may have been, when I saw you grinning ear to ear at the beginning of the performance and through several of the licks that were played throughout the solo, it seems you just had a lot more joy while playing on Letterman last night than you seem to at least openly express in many live videos I've seen of you. Happy Gavin Harrison seems to work wonders, haha, it's even coming through in your posts here! Congratulations again on a superior performance last night...

I have only one question though, I've never seen you do the trick where you blew up the floor tom with air like a balloon to bend the pitch, but a friend of mine swears that you've done it before and for the life of me I can't remember if I actually saw it or not. He claimed it was in something called "Drum Song" but I only know Cymbal Song from one of your "Rhythmic" series. Have you done it before, and if so can you provide an example, even in name?

EDIT: Also, thanks for informing me the new ProjeKct album was out, I've been eagerly awaiting a recording of you playing with the famous (maybe infamous to some) King Crimson!

Last edited by Chaos_Inferno; 08-24-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 AM

Hey Gavin! Yeah, I haven't been on this place for probably a month. I forgot to thank you for the last answer you gave me. I also wanted to be the 17th person (that's right people, I counted) to congratulate you on a most stunning performance on Letterman. Even better, you were on American TV! I think that should get you noticed in my area (as well as the bragging that I already do about how awesome you are).

So, question time. These two are about your performance of 'Hatesong' from the Arriving Somewhere... DVD.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruFkgg9YgSA

1) Well, really, this is more of a general question for your kit on that tour. My question being what are the two small cymbals that were over your toms, where you now had those two prototype crash bells of yours? (It sounds like one of them may be an EFX #1 8 inch splash bell, but I'm not sure of the other) You can clearly see both used at 8:09 in the video.

2) There is this kind of fill that you sometimes use, and I'm kind of confused about how to approach playing it. It can be seen at 1:09, 6:55, 7:01, and 7:04 in the linked video. If I had to describe it, it almost sounds like you're slurring the snare and toms and hi hat into one thing, mainly using the snare for the slur effect. So, is there a type of sticking or method that you use for this kind of thing?

Thanks for answering, and once again great job on Letterman.

Cheers --Peter
Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Inferno View Post
I have only one question though, I've never seen you do the trick where you blew up the floor tom with air like a balloon to bend the pitch, but a friend of mine swears that you've done it before and for the life of me I can't remember if I actually saw it or not. He claimed it was in something called "Drum Song" but I only know Cymbal Song from one of your "Rhythmic" series. Have you done it before, and if so can you provide an example, even in name?
Just in case you didn't read my last post, I decided to do this separate. Here is a link to Gavin's "Drum Song" on youtube. You can clearly see him use this technique at around 1:23 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGfYuWquOA

You're Welcome.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_HiHats View Post
Just in case you didn't read my last post, I decided to do this separate. Here is a link to Gavin's "Drum Song" on youtube. You can clearly see him use this technique at around 1:23 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGfYuWquOA

You're Welcome.
Aha! Thank you sir, I figured it was the same idea as Cymbal Song with drums... even so, him using the floor tom like that amidst a solo playing hertas on it with sticks was still a different approach, so me saying I've never seen anyone do that before is still a pretty accurate statement haha. All of it is extremely cool.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 AM

Hi Gavin,

It's been a long 4 months since I've been online. I was wondering if your 3rd cd with 05Ric has been released?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 08:05 PM

Hey Gavin!

Saw your solo on Letterman a couple of nights ago and I must say it was AWESOME! Your drumming is truly a work of art and a big inspiration to many! Especially me! ;)

Cheers!

-drumminjc
Old 08-27-2011, 08:20 AM

Hi Gavin,

As everyone else on here has mentioned, congrats on doing such a great job on Letterman! I have two questions about that:

1) In the middle of your extended solo, you put something in your mouth that adjusted the pitch on your floor tom. What was that??? I have a theory that you were actually blowing in air pressure through the grommet and that's what changed the pitch, but really that's just a guess as I've never seen anyone do that before. You're clearly a very inventive drummer, did you come up with whatever it is you did, or had you seen someone else do it?

2) I'm wondering how you got the Letterman gig. Obviously you're way more than qualified, but PT isn't exactly a household name in the states, so someone from the show must have known about you (most likely a drummer). Come to think of it, I'm now wondering if it was Anton Fig who recommended you?

Anyway, I don't want to take up too much of your time. So once again congrats, and I really look forward to hearing the upcoming PT CD and seeing you guys tour again.

Cheers!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM

Hi there again Gav!

First of all, congrats on the letterman show that night, that was a pretty good blast and you've been great, thanks

Regarding your answer to my question about vibrating bass drum pedal, going from toms. I've noticed that if I put my hand on bottom heads of my 12" and 14" toms to block their vibrate, the bass drum pedal then stops vibrating. Which leads me to think it comes from the toms.

My question would be: Would you think that tune up the bottom heads a bit tighter would help out in this situation?

Also, what are those cymbal felts that you had on letterman? Thanks

Thanks, cheers from Vilnius

Last edited by scottishhaggis; 08-27-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: more questions
Old 08-29-2011, 06:58 AM

Hey Gavin.

I really enjoyed the Letterman performance. I was in awe though at the one part where you were playing the floor toms almost like timpani's, and by that I mean changing the pitch. How did you do that. And how did you change the pitch with your hands on the rack toms, it was really amazing!!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
There is this kind of fill that you sometimes use, and I'm kind of confused about how to approach playing it. It can be seen at 1:09, 6:55, 7:01, and 7:04 in the linked video. If I had to describe it, it almost sounds like you're slurring the snare and toms and hi hat into one thing, mainly using the snare for the slur effect. So, is there a type of sticking or method that you use for this kind of thing?
Hey Gavin. I know you have heard it 1,000,000 times before but I have to say I think your drumming is amazing, and you are a huge influence to me. Also your solo on Letterman was fantastic.

I'd just like to second the question quoted above, I've always loved the sound of this fill but can never quite figure it out from watching as you play it so damn fast! :P Thanks in advance, it's great that a drummer of your standard is taking his time to answer this many questions.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

I thought some may be interested to see these pics of Gavin performing in Cleveland recently at the Drum Fantasy Camp. I will post more on a thread dedicated to the camp as soon as I can get round to it. Suffice to say Gavin more than matched the other drummers, all of which are world-class (Peter Erskine, Dave Weckl, Steve Smith & Chris Coleman), at the opening night concert. His opening solo was absolutely sublime. On a personal note, I also loved his masterclasses & it was very humbling to have to play in front of him!!
Will talk more about that on the other thread.

Thanks again Gavin!
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruFkgg9YgSA

There is this kind of fill that you sometimes use, and I'm kind of confused about how to approach playing it. It can be seen at 1:09, 6:55, 7:01, and 7:04 in the linked video. If I had to describe it, it almost sounds like you're slurring the snare and toms and hi hat into one thing, mainly using the snare for the slur effect. So, is there a type of sticking or method that you use for this kind of thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomeelez View Post
I'd just like to second the question quoted above, I've always loved the sound of this fill but can never quite figure it out from watching as you play it so damn fast! :P.
I didn't really feel like studying, so I just took a shot at the fill.

It's obviously in a sixteenth note triplet subdivision, and I'm pretty sure those are the accents. The sticking appears to be a paradiddle, but I really can't be sure; you shouldn't have a problem finding a sticking that's confortable for you, though.

EDIT: Well, similar enough to a paradiddle. Here it is with the right sticking.

Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 08-31-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi K_HiHats

1) Well, really, this is more of a general question for your kit on that tour. My question being what are the two small cymbals that were over your toms, where you now had those two prototype crash bells of yours? (It sounds like one of them may be an EFX #1 8 inch splash bell, but I'm not sure of the other) You can clearly see both used at 8:09 in the video.

Yes one of them was the EFX 8" and the other was a 6" A custom splash.

2) There is this kind of fill that you sometimes use, and I'm kind of confused about how to approach playing it. It can be seen at 1:09, 6:55, 7:01, and 7:04 in the linked video. If I had to describe it, it almost sounds like you're slurring the snare and toms and hi hat into one thing, mainly using the snare for the slur effect. So, is there a type of sticking or method that you use for this kind of thing?

That is my favourite sticking R L R R L which I use all the time. In those moments the sticking is played in triplets.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

It's been a long 4 months since I've been online. I was wondering if your 3rd cd with 05Ric has been released?

it's coming out later this year. I'll announce it on my FaceBook site when I have an exact date.

Hi edvia

1) In the middle of your extended solo, you put something in your mouth that adjusted the pitch on your floor tom. What was that??? I have a theory that you were actually blowing in air pressure through the grommet and that's what changed the pitch, but really that's just a guess as I've never seen anyone do that before. You're clearly a very inventive drummer, did you come up with whatever it is you did, or had you seen someone else do it?

you've probably now seen the answer to this already. I'm pretty sure I'm not the first drummer to do this - although I'd never seen someone do it before my video "Drum Song" of 2002 - so I certainly can't claim it was my invention.

2) I'm wondering how you got the Letterman gig. Obviously you're way more than qualified, but PT isn't exactly a household name in the states, so someone from the show must have known about you (most likely a drummer). Come to think of it, I'm now wondering if it was Anton Fig who recommended you?

Lou Caldarola recommended me to Paul Shaffer.

Hi scottishhaggis

Regarding your answer to my question about vibrating bass drum pedal, going from toms. I've noticed that if I put my hand on bottom heads of my 12" and 14" toms to block their vibrate, the bass drum pedal then stops vibrating. Which leads me to think it comes from the toms. My question would be: Would you think that tune up the bottom heads a bit tighter would help out in this situation?

are your toms mounted directly on the bass drum itself? Are you playing on a wooden riser?

Also, what are those cymbal felts that you had on letterman?

They are the special rubber ones that I've been developing for the past three years. They really save the cymbals from breaking.

Hi Absentia-Planet

I really enjoyed the Letterman performance. I was in awe though at the one part where you were playing the floor toms almost like timpani's, and by that I mean changing the pitch. How did you do that. And how did you change the pitch with your hands on the rack toms, it was really amazing!!

now you know the answer to that floor tom trick. The higher tom is just a conga friction slide that you can do with a wet finger.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Why were you smiling as you broke into the polyrhythmic thing towards the begining of the performance?

( Not being facetious, but genuninely interesed in the inner workings of geniuses.. : )

Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM

Hello again Gavin. Thanks for trying to help me out on that. Much appreciated.

Well first, my bass drum is almost half full with heavy pillow and its toms-free. I have a separate tom stand.

And other thing, I'm playing on a mat.

Thanks

Last edited by scottishhaggis; 08-30-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: just edit
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

Hi Gavin,
I asked a question about your tuning method way back in the beginning. I wanted to tell you that I thought of all the drummers playing on the Letterman show, your drums sounded the best (not to mention you sounded tremendous as well!). As far as the realationship between the top and bottom heads on your toms, I know you tune the bottom heads higher in pitch than the top, I do as well. Is there a specific interval, like a minor third for example, between them? What do you look for in the sound quality of the drum when tuning the bottom skin? Is it the level of sustain? Feel? Tonality? All of the above? I wish I was a fly on the wall at the show to see how you approach tuning the bottom head on your toms as far as how much tighter you go above the top head. Any info would be great. Thank you and God bless.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 PM

Hello Gavin!
First of all, I would like to say that it is amazing to me that you have been responding to these questions for all these years. That shows true character, wow.
I am a young drummer and I am really f'ing passionate about it. At the moment it is the only thing in my life that I see myself doing, but I have doubts regarding how well I will be able to do and compete with others.
I have a ton of ideas and things in my head that I want to convey to the drum set, but unfortunately it just wont come out as good as I had hoped, or I mess up in the middle of the act.
My question is: How did you manage to come by these problems and build up your timing and self-control? I am completely stunned at how tight you are on the kit, so there has to be some sort of technique I am missing :-).

By the way, seeing you live at Roskilde Festival a year ago when you toured with Porcupine Tree was without a doubt the single best concert I have attended in my life. You are definitely the drummer I aspire to sound like!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM

Hi Gavin!

Awesome performance on the Letterman show! :)

Few questions:
1. What snare were you using? Was it one of your 12x5s? The golden madrone? Even though your snare sounds very good to me every time, I liked this sound even more (probably just the microphone was different, or the tuning a little different, or the PA system, but something made me like this sound more, but no idea what!).

2. I've read a lot about the differences between drums with and without reinforcing rings, but a lot of the material was "a bit" controversial. If I'm correct, one of your SQ2s got these, and the other does not. Can you say a few things about the differences regarding to their sound? I can't really use the youtube videos about them as a baseline, because different venues, different rooms, different sound quality, etc. Of course, a lot depends on head choice and tuning and stuff, but because you have a tried-out method on both of 'em, I can't think of a better source regarding the difference in their sustain, tone, attack, versatility, how open their sound on different dynamic levels, etc. The reason why I'm asking this is that I'm gonna ask a company to build a custom kit for me next year, but even though I've checked out a few, there were differences in opinion regarding reinforcing rings. So I'm a bit confused. :( I'd be more than happy to write to your drumtech (or anyone who you suggest) too, If it's even remotely possible.

3. If I remember correctly, you stated once that you still play once or twice in a small pub in London. The thing is, I'll be in London in the second week of November, and I'd love to see you play again (after the hungarian PT concert in 2009). Especially in a smaller venue. (I prefer a pub-like concert over a big event anytime.) Will you play somewhere around that time? I'm probably asking way too soon, but hey! One can never prepare ahead far enough! ;)

Cheers,
Matthew from Hungary

Last edited by szokematyi; 08-31-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:36 PM

Hey Gavin, another one for you. I'm looking for a brand new drum throne. What is your number one choice of drum throne and why? Thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 PM

Hi Gavin,

I see that you have confirmed that there will be a Gavin Harrison signature sticks coming out later this year, and you love 'em.

Would you be so kind as to give us the specs on them.

Thank you
UE
Old 09-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin,

I have a few questions about how you record yourself when you practice:
-1- setting up a click:
I think you practice with a click most the time, right? I do that, too but I wanna know: Do you set up the click in logic? Or do you have an external metronom next to your kit? As your recording-pc is not next to your kit, right?

-2- how long do you save your practice sessions? Do you still have the sessions from, let's say 2 weeks ago? Or do you just keep the sessions where you did some very cool stuff?

-3- What do you practice? I read you do coordination excercises - Do you have something like a practice routine like "I start with that everyday, then i'm going to do that and so on.."?

Thank you very much for your answer :)
David
Old 09-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Hey Gavin,

I dig the big band arrangement of 'Futile' and I'm wondering if it's possible to purchase charts for this tune? I know Laurence Cottle did the arranging. I've got a school recital coming up!

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:31 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi aydee

Why were you smiling as you broke into the polyrhythmic thing towards the begining of the performance?

I can't remember - I think it was Will Lee (the bass player) making me laugh.

Hi scottishhaggis

Well first, my bass drum is almost half full with heavy pillow and its toms-free. I have a separate tom stand.And other thing, I'm playing on a mat.

sorry but I have no idea why you're having that problem.

Hi cdrums21

As far as the realationship between the top and bottom heads on your toms, I know you tune the bottom heads higher in pitch than the top, I do as well. Is there a specific interval, like a minor third for example, between them?

no specific interval

What do you look for in the sound quality of the drum when tuning the bottom skin? Is it the level of sustain? Feel? Tonality? All of the above?

Just concentrating on getting the pitch in a comfortable place for the size of the drum. I can tell when it's too loose or too tight (by years of instinct)- and I try to get an even pitch at each lug.

Hi Peter T

I have a ton of ideas and things in my head that I want to convey to the drum set, but unfortunately it just wont come out as good as I had hoped, or I mess up in the middle of the act.

that's good. Always have a lot of ideas. Albert Einstein once said "Imagination is more important than knowledge".

My question is: How did you manage to come by these problems and build up your timing and self-control?

the honest answer is - it took me decades to get to that point - and I still don't feel like I've really arrived there yet. It's a work in progress.

Hi szokematyi

1. What snare were you using? Was it one of your 12x5s? The golden madrone?

It was an SQ2 vintage shell maple 12x5 in Golden Madrone finish.

2. I've read a lot about the differences between drums with and without reinforcing rings, but a lot of the material was "a bit" controversial. If I'm correct, one of your SQ2s got these, and the other does not. Can you say a few things about the differences regarding to their sound?

That Golden Madrone kit is vintage shell with the reinforcement hoops inside. To my ears there's not a lot of difference between that and my SQ2 which has the thicker shells. I think that the vintage shell is a little more likely to choke up when played REALLY hard. Whereas the thicker shells don't.

3. If I remember correctly, you stated once that you still play once or twice in a small pub in London. The thing is, I'll be in London in the second week of November, and I'd love to see you play again.

I've got no plans to be sitting in at a pub gig around that time...or any time in particular. It's just something that rarely happens at random.

Hi scottishhaggis

I'm looking for a brand new drum throne. What is your number one choice of drum throne and why?

Porter and Davies BC2.

Hi UE Nastasi

I see that you have confirmed that there will be a Gavin Harrison signature sticks coming out later this year, and you love 'em. Would you be so kind as to give us the specs on them.

It's secret at the moment - but they are big sticks.

Hi Kalma

-1- setting up a click:
I think you practice with a click most the time, right? I do that, too but I wanna know: Do you set up the click in logic? Or do you have an external metronom next to your kit? As your recording-pc is not next to your kit, right?

I don't practise with a click all the time. Sometimes I work out ideas then I want to record them so I set up a click in Logic and record to that. I sometimes use my iPhone 4 app "Tempo" that has my personal sounds built into it. They are called the "Pro-Set" of sounds.

-2- how long do you save your practice sessions? Do you still have the sessions from, let's say 2 weeks ago? Or do you just keep the sessions where you did some very cool stuff?

I have some practise sessions from 25 years ago on cassette tape. It's quite interesting to hear them occasionally. I can so clearly hear where I was going wrong (with my 2011 ears) that I couldn't hear with my 1986 ears.

-3- What do you practice? I read you do coordination excercises - Do you have something like a practice routine like "I start with that everyday, then i'm going to do that and so on.."?

I don't have a practise routine. I just play and see what happens. Sometimes I specifically work on exercises - but usually it's coordination things.

Hi drumrbaer

I dig the big band arrangement of 'Futile' and I'm wondering if it's possible to purchase charts for this tune? I know Laurence Cottle did the arranging. I've got a school recital coming up!

Try to find Laurence on MYSpace or Facebook and ask him. Are you sure the school band are up to it?

Cheers
Gavin
Old 09-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

Hello Gavin, what did you do with Level 42? Are there any recordings? I love that band. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
billbachman.net
Old 09-04-2011, 05:10 AM

Hello Mr. Harrison,

Did you switch to Tama from Sonor? Why?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi BillBachman

Hello Gavin, what did you do with Level 42? Are there any recordings?

There is (somewhere) a bootleg live album from Brighton 1994.

Hi Nitemare

I just play Tama Speedcobra pedals and the Tama Cobra Clutch pedal. I haven't changed drums. Where did you read that?

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM

Hey Gavin

Is there any opportunity to get Porcupine Tree play-alongs?

Yours,

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
Hello Mr. Harrison,

Thumbs up for picture of The Mars Volta album at avatar :)
Old 09-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
I didn't really feel like studying, so I just took a shot at the fill.

It's obviously in a sixteenth note triplet subdivision, and I'm pretty sure those are the accents. The sticking appears to be a paradiddle, but I really can't be sure; you shouldn't have a problem finding a sticking that's confortable for you, though.

EDIT: Well, similar enough to a paradiddle. Here it is with the right sticking.

Fox.
Hmm........I think they were asking Gavin
Old 09-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
Hmm........I think they were asking Gavin
Yeah, and he didn't post a transcription (for obvious time limitations); it's great that he mentioned the sticking, but I doubt it really gave the people who asked about it a complete idea of how it's played.

Fox.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Gavin, do you ever practice stuff out of books nowadays? If so, which ones?

By the way, me, I have both your books (currently the second one) in my daily
(unorganized) practice routine, I love them!! Just so you know... They're so useful
for exploring all those subdivision and grouping combinations! And it makes your
head explode sometimes!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:52 PM

Hi Gavin,
Thanks for replying last time.

I wanted to ask you another question(s) :

1. Do the mics catch signals they are not supposed to(like snare mic catching tom toms etc)... as in is there any leakage of sound in the mics?

2. If yes, do you cut them off from the mix or do you let them be?

Thank you:)

Would like to add that i'm a really big fan of your both your drumming and sound :)
Old 09-05-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Nitemare

I just play Tama Speedcobra pedals and the Tama Cobra Clutch pedal. I haven't changed drums. Where did you read that?

cheers
Gavin
I saw an ad in DRUM! of you with a Speedcobra, i figured you had switched drums because of the ad, sorry.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 PM

Hi Gavin
I have read here in thread that the overhead mics in your studio are set up above your head. I am curious in which configuration you record with them - XY, M/S, ORTF ...
Thank you

best regards
Marian
Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 AM

Hey Gavin! Thanks for the last answer it really helps to know this stuff for the times that I play along to the live version of Hatesong (it's really fun to play people!) And wow, apparently I hit it on the head with the question about the fill considering other people were speculating around it. Coincidentally enough, I'm looking to purchase a 6 inch A Custom Splash myself. THey are very nice sounding.

Thank you, Fox622003, for that transcription of the fill. That also helped a lot.

To the questions! Just another 2 that are fairly simple.

1) I've noticed lately that you've switched to one cymbal (instead of the normal two) that is placed over your toms. I realize it may be another one of your prototype crash bells (your 9 inch one is my favorite), so what exactly is it? What size? Will you be using just this one instead of the normal two from now on? (In my opinion, I prefer the other two instead of just the one)

2) There's this thing that you did in the live version of 'Drown With Me'. It sound like you're slurring the bass drum and snare together into one. It can be seen right away at 0:39 and 0:45 into the linked video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxccd6-H7cg

Thanks for answering.

Cheers --Peter
Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

some questions about your bassdrum recording.
You use a microphone on your batter head which points to the beaters, right?

I tried the same and I feel that this microphone also records very much from the snare. I tried to angle the mic a bit away from the snare but it didn't really help.
Do you have the same problem?
If so, how do you handle it? Gates?

I'm not quite sure but I remember that you mentioned that you never gate anything. is that right?

Thanks for your answer!
David
Old 09-10-2011, 02:48 PM

I know that you own and have tried many different snare drums. I already have a Delite 5.5 x 14, but I'm looking for a birch drum (14x5) to give me more crack and snap than the Delite.

My question is, have you ever tested (or do you own) an S-Classix snare? How do they stack up to some of your other birch snare drums, considering the 5mm thin S-Classix shell and sharp bearing edges? Would you recommend going with a medium or heavy shell SQ2 birch drum instead of the thin shell S-Classix?

Thanks!