DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin

Welcome to Spain! You´ll find people getting mad about football!! :-)

Have you ever tried the Sonor Phonic snare?

For those who don´t know it, is a 12 ply wood snare (beech-maple), very succesful in the 80´s, and reiussed on 2001 by Sonor. Great sounding drum!

Greetings

Gustavo
Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gICTKCt1Gc
Old 07-09-2010, 12:04 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi SantiBanks

Now we are on the subject of the "waterbottle". How long have you been using this trick?

I've only used it on the "Incident" and my recent DVD Rhythmic Designs.

Hi Garrett

I'm really sorry this is off topic, but its a question about your show in Radio City Music Hall, New York. Do you guys permit photography?

No we don't - so you're best off not bringing it with you.

Hi willregnier

1. Could you tell us the way (path) the sound makes from your mics to your computer?
example: drums --> mics --> mixer --> apogee rosetta 800 (x2) --> computer...

you've got it absolutely correct.

2. In a previous post, you said that sometime you don't mic your K ride because it's quite loud. But in some videos of you I saw that your ride was miced. Or maybe it is just the overhead? Can you tell us what mic it is?

Probably it wasn't the K Ride. Sometimes the mic is still there but I choose not to use it in the mixing stage.

3. I've just received my Anesthetize DVD and it's mind blowing! Could you tell us what crash setup did you use? It's seems to be 3 A's... 19'' 15'' 18'' maybe? Are they standard A's or A Projection crash or other?...

Yes it's 19" 15" and 18" and they are all standard A Customs.

Hi jordster1991

i was wondering what your opinion was on my band

sorry but I don't do 'opinions'. I don't have the time and don't want to be in the position of giving critique.

Hi Russ Morse

I've got a couple of questions! First on "Bonnie the Cat",at the songs intro when you
crash in,did you displace the hi-hat a 16th note or am I just not counting it right?

When you hear the first crash that is the 'one'. It's a little bit of an odd pattern - basically it's just a pattern of four bars of 4/4 - you might find a transcription of it on this thread if you go back a little bit.

how do you deal with snare buzz?(I've never heard your snare buzz on any recording,or on your DVDs') I read you use a 12" snare drum, does this help to keep the buzz to a minimum?

I keep the buzz to a minimum by carefully tuning the snare away from the pitch of the toms. I also use a Puresound Custom snare 12 strand cut down to just 8 strands and it's on pretty tight. The size of the snare drum doesn't really matter.

Hi Gus

Have you ever tried the Sonor Phonic snare?

no I haven't - but I like the look of it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM

Hello
Dear Gavin

How are you? I hope you are good.
One of my friends liked style of my playing and recording sound of my drums and asked me that I record the drum line of his album in my home studio, but I do not know anything about the contract of recording drums.

Does it have a standard contract for this work and how can I get it with details? Can I download it from websites or contact someone that he could help me?

Is it usual that I want him to register my name, website, email and my equipments like brand of drum shell, heads, cymbals, microphones, etc in brochure or catalogue of his album that I used them?

I am very hard work on my drums …Please help me because this contract and this work do not usual here and I prefer it would be official even in my first project.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran -Iran
Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Hello
Dear Gavin

Which wood and with what diameter (thin,medium,thick) do you advise me for recording in studio for tom toms, kick and snare? Maple, Birch or combine of them or other wood .

@Santi:
Thank you for your help I will research more about the Gate effect

Thank you and Best Regards,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran -Iran
Old 07-09-2010, 07:38 PM

hey Gavin
i was wondering what your opinion was on my band http://www.youtube.com/user/jordster.../1/BgrhXclgiJM
thanks
Jordan
Old 07-09-2010, 09:22 PM

hey gavin
i just wanted to say that the PT show here in Israel was absolutely amazing! probably the best show i've ever went to.
your drumming was mind blowing! especially your solo at the end of hatesong

i hope you guys had a good time in our little country
and i hope next time you will come you will do a clinic :)

cheers
omer
Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordster1991 View Post
hey Gavin
i was wondering what your opinion was on my band http://www.youtube.com/user/jordster.../1/BgrhXclgiJM
thanks
Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi jordster1991

i was wondering what your opinion was on my band

sorry but I don't do 'opinions'. I don't have the time and don't want to be in the position of giving critique.
He already answered you. And requests of this type were also already discussed in previous posts.

Fox.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordster1991 View Post
hey Gavin
thanks
Jordan
Jordan, Gavin already replied to you that he doesn't give critique, feedback or opinions on material from others. That's his choice so please respect that. We are all very grateful that he comes here so often and answers all our questions, something which he does for years now. That's his humbleness. Please respect it instead of keep asking for feedback. If you want some feedback, feel free to post your music in other topics/sections of the forum where other members can and will give you feedback.

«sorry but I don't do 'opinions'. I don't have the time and don't want to be in the position of giving critique.»

@Ramtin HajatDoust: no problem :) I hope it works out well for you.

@Gavin: Thanks for your answer! Btw, Metheny is on tour with the group quartet (lyle mays, steve rodby and antonio sanchez) in Europe, in case you are interested…
Old 07-10-2010, 03:12 AM

Default Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin, i would to know information.
In your 5 wonderful "Custom-Chimes"
i usually listen one of these play a particular sound..
I don't know explain the exact "harmony" but i love it!

-Maybe the 2nd bell to left from 8" tom-

I know to say you just that he is most "composed" of others 4 bells and he haven't high tones like others 4.
Is really most "deaf" but particular, really lovely.
I hear he's sound like "mellow".. i don't know esactly.
(i hope is a correct "key-word" ^__^)

So, thanx for attention and sorry for "hard description" :)
i would to know from which kind of cymbal he comes.
(Was a splash or crash)

Greetings from Rome!

Fabio.

Last edited by Fabio; 07-10-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:17 AM

Gavin -

First of all I'm a bit overwhelmed as I've spent the last 3 plus hours reading every bit of the 116 pages of comments in this thread. It's absolutely wonderful and gracious of you to take the time to answer so many questions from fans and admirers of yours. Bravo for that kind sir!!

I wish I had something intelligent to ask you but the truth is that I just started learning to play the drums barely two weeks ago and at the ripe old age of 41. I've always been a huge fan of drummers and I have no clue why it's taken this long but it has and in just a few weeks I'm already knee deep into anything and everything drum related. I can't practice enough. I know I have a long road ahead and it's probably too late for me to ever be a great drummer but I'm having fun.

And I can say that you and the music of Porcupine Tree is a large reason why I have started learning to play. My daughter and I both are really into PT and she has even been inspired by Steven and started to learn to play the guitar. She's only 13. My wife and I wen to Cincy to see you perform live for the first time back in May and we will be in NYC in September (with our daughter for her first ever rock show) to see you play at Radio City Music Hall. We can't wait!!

I guess if I was to ask anything of you right this moment it would be what advice you would have for someone just starting to learn to play? Thanks again for taking the time to spend with us here and good luck in all of your future endeavors. See you in September!!

Jonathan
Old 07-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2112 View Post
And I can say that you and the music of Porcupine Tree is a large reason why I have started learning to play.
Just starting to play and you can already look up to Gavin's work? That's great; many of us were fooled by stuff that wasn't important when we were just starting out, and didn't have the ability to see through.

Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 07-11-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 PM

Gavin,

Are there any time signatures that are still challenging for you?

Also, are there any genre's of music that you would find challenging? (salsa, african jungle music, polka).

In every genre of music that I've heard you play to, you make it sound like that genre is your specialty.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 PM

Hi to everyone!

First of all, I just want to thank you, Gavin, for your patience, all of your hard work and "know-how" that you're sharing with us all. I really admire you and the way you give a new dimension to drum playing.

The real reason for posting is to check out, all of you guys, this band from Belgrade, Serbia and listen to some rhytmic illusion :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIV6dQH6Xbw

Follow the link, you won't be dissapointed :)))
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzoe View Post
Hi to everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIV6dQH6Xbw

Follow the link, you won't be dissapointed :)))
Awesome! That could be something Chick Corea would have penned for the Chick Corea Elektric Band. I hear a lot of Dave Weckl in the drums. Good stuff man :)
Old 07-16-2010, 01:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ramtin HajatDoust

Does it have a standard contract for this work and how can I get it with details? Can I download it from websites or contact someone that he could help me?

I don't have a standard contract - and have never used one for recording sessions.

Is it usual that I want him to register my name, website, email and my equipments like brand of drum shell, heads, cymbals, microphones, etc in brochure or catalogue of his album that I used them?

Not really - when it is your solo album or your band album then I think it's a good time to thank your equipment companies and mention their names. I don't do that when I play on other peoples records.

Which wood and with what diameter (thin,medium,thick) do you advise me for recording in studio for tom toms, kick and snare? Maple, Birch or combine of them or other wood .

All of those are good. It just comes down to personal preference.

Hi Fabio

Hi Gavin, i would to know information.
In your 5 wonderful "Custom-Chimes"
i usually listen one of these play a particular sound..
I don't know explain the exact "harmony" but i love it!
-Maybe the 2nd bell to left from 8" tom-

yes that particular one is a cut down splash cymbal. All the others used to be crash cymbals before I cut them.

Hi Chief2112

I guess if I was to ask anything of you right this moment it would be what advice you would have for someone just starting to learn to play?

Just enjoy playing the drums and get yourself a good teacher.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Are there any time signatures that are still challenging for you?

They all are. I'm still trying to find new angles in any time signature.

Also, are there any genre's of music that you would find challenging? (salsa, african jungle music, polka).

I have played a lot of different genres in my time - and to be really proficient in any of them you need to absorb a lot of stuff and listen to the genre that you're trying to play. Therefore I find rock/funk/jazz comes easier to me because I grew up listening to a lot of it.

Cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 07-16-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Hi Gavin,

In a previous post, you said that your toms was thin maple, your floor toms medium maple and bass drum thick maple. Could you tell us how many ply does this mean?
Example: toms = thin maple (6 ply)
floor toms = medium maple (8 ply)
bass drum = thick maple (10 ply)

Thanks

Take care
Will
Old 07-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Hi Gav!

Was watching the new Anesthetize DVD the other day and had a random thought/question:

What's your thoughts in regards to footwear while drumming? Do you always use a specific kind of shoe? Are you comfortable playing barefoot? Or would that be cramping Steven's style? :)

I find playing barefoot surprisingly difficult, I'm so used to utilising the weight of my shoe all the time.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:19 PM

Default PT on Blu Ray

Hi Gavin,

thanks to PT for going through the effort and not only putting together Anesthetize as DVD but also as Blu-Ray. I know that you guys seem to buy in to high quality media pretty much, but a Blu-Ray is nothing you see very often from bands with tight budgets.

I can only say... it was absolutely worth it. Given the difficult lighting environment, the picture quality is very good. I watched it on 2.5m screen and it was really pleasing. The high resolution material provides so many details to watch that you can hardly get in one go. Also, Blu-Ray gives you much nicer colors which captures the tasteful lightshow and the interaction between music and the projections in a nice way. I can only recommand this "enhanced" version of the concert to everyone owning a Blu-Ray Player.

Irrespective of the media, I liked the way the action on the stage was captured. Especially the various cameras that were mounted in all sorts of places brought a lot of details without having camera men running arround on the stage. It must have also been much less distracting for the audience in Tilburg. I especially liked the camera on your right side of your set - the one that you were looking into the one or the other time.

Given the very artful approach Lasse Hoile chose for Arriving Somewhere, Anesthetize seems to concentrate more on capturing the real athmosphere the band creates live. No fancy experiments with colors and optical effects. It reminded me pretty much of what I saw and felt during my first first PT show (The Incident) last year which is probably as good as it gets.

Congratulations. I can only hope that this wasn´t the last PT Blu-Ray.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:31 PM

Hey Gavin,

I really admire your approach to double bass drumming, I have never tried the double pedal simply because I never wanted to play all the cliched double patterns we've been bombarded with over the years. Your playing approach is very refreshing, I think I might have to look again at the dreaded double pedal.

Cheers,

Tom.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootee View Post
Hey Gavin,

I really admire your approach to double bass drumming, I have never tried the double pedal simply because I never wanted to play all the cliched double patterns we've been bombarded with over the years. Your playing approach is very refreshing, I think I might have to look again at the dreaded double pedal.

Cheers,

Tom.

It's very difficult to imagine drums without a double pedal anymore. You might also like to check Thomas Lang's double pedal work and books; he uses the double pedal a bit more than Gavin, but still creatively.

Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 07-19-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
It's very difficult to imagine drums without a double pedal anymore. You might also like to check Thomas' Lang double pedal work and books; he uses the double pedal a bit more than Gavin, but still creatively.

Fox.
Hi Fox,

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at your recommendation, Thomas is a great player.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
It's very difficult to imagine drums without a double pedal anymore. You might also like to check Thomas' Lang double pedal work and books; he uses the double pedal a bit more than Gavin, but still creatively.

Fox.
Really? You virtually hear no double pedal in the whole jazz idiom, and there's practically no use for it (or at least no necessity) in most pop music either. Never heard it in country either, and in hip-hop, R&B or gospel many guys are easily able to do their thang with one foot. The same goes for latin music. I think all I've heard there are some licks by virtuosos Horacio Hernandez and Julio Barreto.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Really? You virtually hear no double pedal in the whole jazz idiom, and there's practically no use for it (or at least no necessity) in most pop music either.
Perhaps you should define "jazz idiom". Are Dave Weckl with the Chick Corea Elektric Band and Mike Stern band, Paul Wertico and Antonio Sanchez with the Pat Metheny Group and Dennis Chambers with John Scofield and The Brecker Brothers part of the "jazz idiom"? If so, these guys play double pedal (well I believe Dennis does the double thing with a single pedal, still I regard double pedal as a "tool" which gives a certain sound, but I also regard double pedal not the only thing that could give that certain sound)
Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
Perhaps you should define "jazz idiom". Are Dave Weckl with the Chick Corea Elektric Band and Mike Stern band, Paul Wertico and Antonio Sanchez with the Pat Metheny Group and Dennis Chambers with John Scofield and The Brecker Brothers part of the "jazz idiom"? If so, these guys play double pedal (well I believe Dennis does the double thing with a single pedal, still I regard double pedal as a "tool" which gives a certain sound, but I also regard double pedal not the only thing that could give that certain sound)
Well you're right, some drummers include double pedal drumming in many fusion type of styles. I didn't mean fusion in particular. By the way I wouldn't call Dave Weckl a double pedal player necessarily. It's certainly not very distinctive for his style. I don't think anyone would hire him because he can play double pedal licks.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Well you're right, some drummers include double pedal drumming in many fusion type of styles. I didn't mean fusion in particular. By the way I wouldn't call Dave Weckl a double pedal player necessarily. It's certainly not very distinctive for his style. I don't think anyone would hire him because he can play double pedal licks.
I think Gavin and Dave Weckl are where I want to be, great all round drummers with the ability to play most styles well. Wether they play double or single pedal is not really the issue, they're sound is not defined by the amount of pedals they play but how well they're overall playing fits the music. Gavin is like a camellion, he is able to change to fit the music, sign of a great all round player.
If I was in a thrash metal band and I needed a drummer for a recording, you are correct, Dave Weckl is'nt the first name that springs to mind, but if he was sitting in the corner of the studio with his kit and a few hours to spare for the recording I'm sure I wouldn't be too disappointed with the result. Although I'm not sure if he would agree to wear the slipknot mask....haha
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Really? You virtually hear no double pedal in the whole jazz idiom, and there's practically no use for it (or at least no necessity) in most pop music either. Never heard it in country either, and in hip-hop, R&B or gospel many guys are easily able to do their thang with one foot. The same goes for latin music. I think all I've heard there are some licks by virtuosos Horacio Hernandez and Julio Barreto.

Well, I said it is difficult to imagine drums, not music. I just believe that the double pedal and double pedal playing are becoming more and more essential to a drummer's set of skills, and a paramount part of the kit for a modern drummer.

Fox.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Whether it's essential or not can be debated, but I definitely think learning double pedal technique is something worth the relatively short time it takes to become competent. I
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 PM

Hello Gavin,

Is it a desperate waiting for a Turkey concert? I don't know how you qualify turkish fans but it would be great to see you with PT in turkey.. Or do i have to catch you in somewhere else ??

Congratulations for all the gorgeous works ..
Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
But that was not the point of my response. We were talking about the "jazz idiom" and your opinion that there is practically no use for it. I strongly disagree with that.
Sure double pedal is not the "characteristic" of the genre like it is in various types of metal. But that's the point of Jazz music, there is room for everything and the guys I already mentioned showcase that.

I strongly agree with Fox and andSometimesY.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
But that was not the point of my response. We were talking about the "jazz idiom" and your opinion that there is practically no use for it. I strongly disagree with that.
With the correction that I didn't mean fusion, but swing-ride driven jazz like all the way from dixie to bop plus more open playing.

Of course double pedal playing seems to become "standard" in a drummer's arsenal, I don't deny that at all (and I'm playing one too) I just wanted to point out that there is actually a large amount of music where there's absolutely no need to even include a pedal in your setup.

I should stop hijacking Gavin's thread now.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:24 PM

Hey Gavin,

I wanted to start out thanking you. Your drumming really helped me think outside of the box. (your drumming blows my mind)

I was wondering what bands had a big influence on your drumming. Also what are some great bands you would suggest to practice to?

Thanks,
Nathan

(p.s.) Great magic trick at the end of your show (The Incident tour, house of blues,Orlando)
Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 AM

Hi Gavin,

Some microphone questions. I recorded a drumkit last sunday for the first time in my life. The recording came out pretty good for the gear we had available (though I still cannot believe my pre-historic macbook was actually able to multitrack record) but I'm concidering to buy some microphones.

What is your typical mic setup for live? Also, have you tried the audix d2's on your toms? Some people on gearsl*tz prefer them over the sennheisers as they sound more accurate and usually don't need to be EQ'ed. Do you have experience with those?

And last, I got a lot of spill in virtually all the mics. Used a lot of gating in the mixdown to keep the signals more clean (like filtering out the hi-hat spill on the snare track). Do you also experience a lot of spill in the mics and if so, what do you do about it (if you actually do anything at all with it)?

Thanks a lot!

Santi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yothatswack View Post
(p.s.) Great magic trick at the end of your show (The Incident tour, house of blues,Orlando)
I'm getting jealous at everybody with that magic trick. Everybody mentions it but I had to leave the venue early to catch the last train home so never saw the now already famous magic trick…
Old 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi willregnier

In a previous post, you said that your toms was thin maple, your floor toms medium maple and bass drum thick maple. Could you tell us how many ply does this mean?
Example: toms = thin maple (6 ply)
floor toms = medium maple (8 ply)
bass drum = thick maple (10 ply)

Thin is 9 ply (5mm)
Medium is 9 ply (6mm)
Heavy is 12 ply (8mm)

Hi Simo

What's your thoughts in regards to footwear while drumming? Do you always use a specific kind of shoe? Are you comfortable playing barefoot?

I need a flat bottom shoe - I normally wear old style Puma trainers. I can't play barefoot - it really hurts.

Hi Erhan U.

Is it a desperate waiting for a Turkey concert? I don't know how you qualify turkish fans but it would be great to see you with PT in turkey.. Or do i have to catch you in somewhere else ??

We have been trying to organise a concert in Istanbul for a long time now - but so far no success. The logistics are quite complicated to get there.

Hi yothatswack

I was wondering what bands had a big influence on your drumming. Also what are some great bands you would suggest to practice to?

I listened to a lot of jazz when I was growing up and then a bit later I listened to more funk. I particularly liked (and still do) Earth Wind And Fire. I don't know what bands you might like playing along to - have you tried Porcupine Tree?

Hi SantiBanks

What is your typical mic setup for live? Also, have you tried the audix d2's on your toms?

# Bass Drum Shure SM91
# Bass Drum Audix D6
# Snare Top Audix i5
# Snare Bottom Audix i5
# Hi Hat and ride AKG CK391
# Toms Electro Voice N/D 408

I can't remember what the overheads are at the moment. I haven't tried the Audix tom mics.

And last, I got a lot of spill in virtually all the mics. Used a lot of gating in the mixdown to keep the signals more clean (like filtering out the hi-hat spill on the snare track). Do you also experience a lot of spill in the mics and if so, what do you do about it (if you actually do anything at all with it)?

Don't worry about spill - spill is natural - I wouldn't gate things myself. Some mixing engineers like to gently gate the floor toms if they are ringing sympathetically and getting in the way of the low end.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Someone shared this wonderful interview with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6bD...eature=related
Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 PM

Hey Gavin!

I was just wondering if Porcupine Tree ever has given out any cds/special releases containing songs by the band with the drumming tracks excluded.
I would love to drum together with the band and try some of my own ideas and combine them with yours from your series of books and DVDs. :-)

Also, on this version of Sound of Muzak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzFfNk4xGTEwhat is the reso-head on your snare?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by anders_slåke; 07-24-2010 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Adding another question
Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 PM

Thanks very much for answering my question!
And yes I have been drumming to Porcupine Tree. Still am and probably always will be xD

I was wondering what bands you practice to now?

Thanks
Nathan
Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Don't worry about spill - spill is natural - I wouldn't gate things myself. Some mixing engineers like to gently gate the floor toms if they are ringing sympathetically and getting in the way of the low end.

cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin,

Thanks again for answering my questions! Well I used the gating this time because the mics wheren't setup very well. We had a lot of time pressure and I have no hands on experience. Only a couple of cheap mics, not enough stands and I should have taken my presonus firestudio instead of my motu traveler with me. Ah well everything is a learning experience.

Now I think of it, if I remember well, I think you said some time ago that you used the space designer plugin in logic to add reverb to your drumsound. Which impulse response or preset are you using (or have you tweaked for the matter)? I tried some different settings but no statisfying results so far (but well there is an overload of presets, funny you should reference the overload of choice in the vic firth interviews)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Someone shared this wonderful interview with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6bD...eature=related
I regard that interview as one of the most inspiring videos I have ever seen and I think that even non drummers or even non musicians can benefit from his views and opinions. Gavin's attitude is exceptional.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

Hello!

I had a quick question about when you do clinics. I was wondering if when performing a piece of music, do you intentionally play a slightly buiser part (more complex fills, and lots of extra frills) to "entertain" the drummers, or do you play what you feel best fits the song?

Also, do you think that if you had been asked to join Porcupine Tree before recording In Absentia, instead of doing it as a session drummer, do you think the parts would of come out differently?

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio

Last edited by Pass.of.E.r.a.; 07-23-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: thought of another question
Old 07-23-2010, 10:59 PM

Hey Gavin,

Do you yourself ever listen to your own music for leisure after it has been recorded and released? And do you own actual retail releases of your own work?

Thanks in advance!