DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

hi Gavin
I'll explain, what do you do while making a song (in the studio)? do the riffs come first? do you just bang away improvising at the same time, or listen to the song entirely first and then write the rhythms out?

cheers
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Hi Gavin,

I read that you have used Future Sounds and The New Breed. I've just purchased these books, and want to know how you went about using them.

I do a lot of influence of Future Sounds in your drumming. Is that true?
Old 02-25-2010, 09:14 PM

Hi Gavin!

I've got a question about a fill in the song Anesthetize: At about 12:02 you play a double bass drum/china fill I am not really getting. Could you maybe explain it?
Thanks!

And by the way: Your book is really amazing. It's very impressive to get an insight in your drumming. I'm really enjoying it.

Cheers
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 PM

Hey Gavin!
Where is your college of drum?
And, please write for me website college.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huXler View Post
Hi Gavin!

I've got a question about a fill in the song Anesthetize: At about 12:02 you play a double bass drum/china fill I am not really getting.
They are groups of three started on the second 16th of the second beat of that bar. I'm not really sure about the exact drums he uses to fill between the chinas (as in THAT is a tom and THOSE are bass drums), but those are the accents.
Gavin can probably tell you exactly what he's hitting there.

Fox.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 AM

Hey Gavin I have another few questions if you don't mind answering.
These are kind of random however. On PT's "Arriving somewhere..." live DVD the live screenplay videos show a bunch of older photos with an older woman and kids. Do you know exactly if these are real photos? I was just curious.

Also if you don't mind answering some random questions haha.
1. What's your favorite food and drink?
2. Do you have another other talents besides drumming?
3. Do you and PT hang out on a regular basis?

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to see you guys at Radio City Music Hall!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 AM

Gavin,

I studied with Joe Morrelo for a number of years....I wondered if you listened to the time signitures used be them in the early 60's????? and what your opintion was.
He was a wonderful teacher and I gathered alot from him......

Thanks ChrisD
Old 02-26-2010, 12:23 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi karan.patil

I'll explain, what do you do while making a song (in the studio)? do the riffs come first? do you just bang away improvising at the same time, or listen to the song entirely first and then write the rhythms out?

It depends. Some songs start with a drum rhythm - so I record it and then work out guitar or bass riffs to go with it. Some songs start with four of us improvising together and just see what happens. When we find something we like we record it and move on to see if we can write another section that might be compatible with the first one - and so on. Sometimes folks present me with a finished song - so I play along to it and see if I can find some drum patterns that I like and I think compliment the song.

Hi Abhishek

I read that you have used Future Sounds and The New Breed. I've just purchased these books, and want to know how you went about using them.I do a lot of influence of Future Sounds in your drumming. Is that true?

The first exercise in "The New Breed" is excellent. Playing 16ths on the hi hat with both hands (without any flams) and then play the bass drum melodies. It's very helpful to get your bass drum foot in sync with your hands but you really need to be very accurate with it to get the benefit. I still practise that now. I haven't looked at "Future Sounds" in many years but I did enjoy working through it.

Hi huXler

I've got a question about a fill in the song Anesthetize: At about 12:02 you play a double bass drum/china fill I am not really getting. Could you maybe explain it?

Fox622003 almost has it right except there's a flam between the floor tom and the snare drum before each china hit. Everything else about it looks right to me.

Hi Garrett

These are kind of random however. On PT's "Arriving somewhere..." live DVD the live screenplay videos show a bunch of older photos with an older woman and kids. Do you know exactly if these are real photos? I was just curious.

I believe there are.

1. What's your favorite drink?

White Russian.

2. Do you have another other talents besides drumming?

Yes I do Skydiving, Pole Vaulting and Horse wrestling (usually in the same day).

3. Do you and PT hang out on a regular basis?

No we see quite enough of each other on tour thanks.

Hi Chris D

I studied with Joe Morrelo for a number of years....I wondered if you listened to the time signitures used be them in the early 60's????? and what your opintion was.
He was a wonderful teacher and I gathered alot from him......

I'm sure he was a wonderful teacher. I just bought a DVD the other day of Dave Brubeck's group on a TV show in 1961. They play "Take Five" of course and Joe plays a great solo.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Hey Gavin,

During your work on "Blood", how did the file exchanging of tracks work? I'm mostly curious about the file types used, was it a simple WAV and MIDI exchange?

Last edited by osi.3; 02-26-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

Hello Gavin,

I have an upcoming gig where I'll have to play live to a metronome so that I can be in sync with a video. My main concern with this, is the keyboard player has a tenancy to not listen to the tempo that I/the group is playing at (I'm thinking that he just doesn't listen in general). He will typically go off from the tempo of the rest of the band, drop beats etc. without being aware of it.

So if you had any tips to playing live with a metronome in this situation they would be greatly appreciated!

Also what would you do in a situation with a musician like this? I'm only 17 (and the keyboard player in question is well into his forties) so I don't want to come off as the young snob telling everyone what do to when I have very little experience (at least compared to him)...

Thanks for taking time out of your day to help me out!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 02-26-2010, 09:34 PM

hey gavin

i was on youtube and i came across this awsome cover of the sound of muzak, dont know if you have already heard but here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMgzOrbVCI

its brilliant

henry
Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 PM

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the signed copy of your book! I love it and the dvd is wonderful! Great to have some mp3's with it too.

I have two questions for you. We already talked about the M-audio FW410 you use. I was wondering if you always use it "bus powered" or if you always have the power connected to it (and switch to battery if the power drops)?

And the other one, have you heard Metheny's new album? If not, then I highly recommend it. Not sure if he still tours Europe (and if he'll take his show to the UK) but if you still like his music and have the chance to see him, be sure to check him out! He has a very interesting and very boundary braking project going on called "Orchestrion" where he uses solenoid based instruments as his band. I saw him perform the album and some stuff from his back catalog twice and I was blown away. He did some interesting demonstrations to show what the system was capable of and how it works. Very interesting stuff.
Its very percussion based (as they lend themselves perfectly for good solenoid triggering). I'm curious what you think of his project if you get the chance to check it out.

http://patmetheny.com/orchestrioninfo/
The EPK video on that page gives a good impression of what he is doing with it…

Cheers!
Santi
Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Hi Gavin!
how're you?i hope that all be fine to you.
I came with new questions!!! =)
1 -I saw in some videos of 2003\2004 that you still have a splash on your right on your setup.
Seems to be in the same position of your oriental 12" china.
What kind of splash was it?K?Avedis?

the second question is related to the first =)
2 - many years have passed by your last tour with claudio.
But you have recorded with him other albums, example Q.P.G.A.
And with Paolo Gianolio, and others.My question is: do you change your cymbals and sounds if you change the kind of music that you will record?drumsticks too?
I'm asking this because on Paolo Gianolio's "PANE E NUVOLE" i've heared a splash.
But in the last performances with PT i haven't see no one on your setup.

3 (and last!!) - With claudio you've gained a lot of fans here in Italy.You do a lot of gigs, probably the most importanto in front of the POPE.amazing.
You'll never feel nostalgic of thet kind of concerts?or, example, of the FULL OF PEOPLE olympic stadium of Rome?and overall...don't you know that you was the favourite musician of claudio's stage by the womans???i've readed a poll on a fan site and you are the most voted too!another award for you :D :D :D

Thanks a lot for your precious time.
cheers from Italy.
Riccardo
Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin.
What ItalianRicky said is true, what's up with not normally using splashes? Are the bells enough? Because you have 3 or 4 Chinas I think, but no splash to be seen! And since you really like Copeland's work, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Now, to my main question. How do you approach higher tempos? Because I consider songs at 130+ BPM to be too much to really groove them. You know, when you sit at the drums to mess around, a reasonable tempo is 100 BPM, where you can do anything you like, and really groove out. But at for example, 170, I really can't play ANY of the stuff I like, and I don't know how cool the displaced stuff you play would sound at those tempos, it's just too fast. So, getting back on track, when you face a fast song, do you keep it a lot simpler? That's what I've been doing, but maybe there's another approach to this...And related to that, when playing a very displaced fill, do you "synch" the notes with the metronome, or do you ignore it, or hear it only as reference? Because sometimes I have a harder time playing a fill "to" the metronome, so I just play it how how it feels (of course, I do know when the fill resolves, so that's when I start listening to the metronome again), I usually come back in time, but it makes me feel kind of a newbie not being able to play every note TO the metronome, and having to rely on when the fill resolves instead. I hope that last bit wasn't too confusing!

Oh yeah, final one! What weight is your "K Ride" considered? Because I've seen others like "Medium K Ride", "Heavy K Ride", what does it mean when it's just "K Ride" (Or Hi-hats, or anything).

Alright Gavin, thanks a lot!

Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 02-28-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Hey Gavin.

Oh yeah, final one! What weight is your "K Ride" considered? Because I've seen others like "Medium K Ride", "Heavy K Ride", what does it mean when it's just "K Ride" (Or Hi-hats, or anything).

Fox.
It's a normal K ride.Medium i think ;)
sorry for the unwanted answer!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Hello Gavin,

1. U use Rosetta's for Your AD conversion: is there any reason y u don't use the AD16X instead? (as u got many inputs!)

2. Did u find in your studio experience that different AD converters sound different? (this is something i read on magazines from engineers many times, so i'd like to hear a musician's bell this time)

Thank you very much again.
Ste
Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 AM

Hello again Gavin,

I have another question... Does PT have any plans on releasing an EP for "The Incident". I'm sure there's tons of stuff that wasn't released with the album...

Cheers

-Branndon
Old 02-28-2010, 12:42 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

osi.3

During your work on "Blood", how did the file exchanging of tracks work? I'm mostly curious about the file types used, was it a simple WAV and MIDI exchange?

Jim uploaded AIFFs for me via his iDisk. There was no MIDI. I then played on the songs and emailed him and Kevin AACs of mixes of the tracks with my drumming on so they could check what I was doing. Finally I posted them some DVD-Rs with the final drum takes on. The file format doesn't matter - it could have been AIFF WAV or SDII. The Mac can handle all of those happily.

Hi Pass.of.E.r.a.

I have an upcoming gig where I'll have to play live to a metronome so that I can be in sync with a video. My main concern with this, is the keyboard player has a tenancy to not listen to the tempo that I/the group is playing at (I'm thinking that he just doesn't listen in general). He will typically go off from the tempo of the rest of the band, drop beats etc. without being aware of it.

I sympathize with your problem - I have played with a lot of musicians who don't listen. But you have to just stay with the click and ignore him. Record the gig so that you can prove to him later that it was his fault...maybe he won't even notice. Do the other people in the band notice that he goes off tempo?

Hi SantiBanks

We already talked about the M-audio FW410 you use. I was wondering if you always use it "bus powered" or if you always have the power connected to it (and switch to battery if the power drops)?

Always bus powered in case there's a small interruption of power.

have you heard Metheny's new album?

No not yet - but he always does high quality stuff so I'm confident that it's really good.

Hi ItalianRicky

1 -I saw in some videos of 2003\2004 that you still have a splash on your right on your setup. Seems to be in the same position of your oriental 12" china.
What kind of splash was it?K?Avedis?

Actually it's not a splash - it's an Avedis 8" EFX - I don't think they make that cymbal anymore.

2 - many years have passed by your last tour with claudio.
But you have recorded with him other albums, example Q.P.G.A.
And with Paolo Gianolio, and others.My question is: do you change your cymbals and sounds if you change the kind of music that you will record?drumsticks too?
I'm asking this because on Paolo Gianolio's "PANE E NUVOLE" i've heared a splash.
But in the last performances with PT i haven't see no one on your setup.

Yes I swap cymbals depending on the music (sometimes I might use lighter sticks if the music dictates it). I don't use splashes anymore - what you heard is a Zildjian custom "crash bell".

3 With claudio you've gained a lot of fans here in Italy.You do a lot of gigs, probably the most importanto in front of the POPE.amazing.
You'll never feel nostalgic of thet kind of concerts?or, example, of the FULL OF PEOPLE olympic stadium of Rome?and overall...don't you know that you was the favourite musician of claudio's stage by the womans??

The only thing I miss is being a favorite of "the womans" !!!!!

Hi Fox622003

What ItalianRicky said is true, what's up with not normally using splashes? Are the bells enough? Because you have 3 or 4 Chinas I think, but no splash to be seen! And since you really like Copeland's work, it doesn't make much sense to me.

I just got really tired of the sound of the splash. I used them hell of a lot in the 80's and 90's and they don't seem to fit in my mind any more.

How do you approach higher tempos? when you face a fast song, do you keep it a lot simpler?

Higher tempos can be a bit of an illusion. Usually the snare drum back beats come more often. If I play a song at 90bpm with 16ths in the right hand on the hi hat - and then play a rhythm at 180bpm with 8ths on the hi hat - it's the same thing - just the snare drum back beats would be coming round twice as much. Mentally it can seem to be exhausting to play 8ths at 180bpm but not so much playing 16ths at 90bpm. When jazz players play at really fast tempos like 320bpm they think at that speed. You easily play quarter notes on a ride cymbal at that speed if you just think at 80bpm. It's the same rate as 16ths at 80bpm but you feel more relaxed thinking at 80bpm than 320bpm.

And related to that, when playing a very displaced fill, do you "synch" the notes with the metronome, or do you ignore it, or hear it only as reference?

Yes I sync the notes to the click even if they are not on the click...if you know what I mean.

Oh yeah, final one! What weight is your "K Ride" considered?

I don't know the weight - it's just called K Ride. I assume it's kind of medium weight. Same with the hi hats.

Hi steste50

1. U use Rosetta's for Your AD conversion: is there any reason y u don't use the AD16X instead? (as u got many inputs!)

Yes it wasn't available 6 years ago when I got the Rosettas.

2. Did u find in your studio experience that different AD converters sound different? (this is something i read on magazines from engineers many times, so i'd like to hear a musician's bell this time)

I don't hear the difference when I work at studios with different converters - but usually they are high quality ones anyway. Years ago I noticed that the Digidesign 888 boxes didn't sound good to me. When I got my first MOTU 1296 I could hear a noise level difference over the ADATs - but that was the jump from 16bit to 24bit. I've tried 96k recording and can't hear any difference at all.

Hi pixelbreaker

Does PT have any plans on releasing an EP for "The Incident". I'm sure there's tons of stuff that wasn't released with the album...

We released everything that we'd developed on the double discs of "The Incident".

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin,

on "Arriving Somewhere DVD", which Splash did you used?

I saw 2 Splashes above your toms, but I can't see which one..

Can't wait to see you in Sonor Days 2010!!!! =)

All the best
David
Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Hey Gavin,

David
thet splashes seems to be a 6 avedis and a 8 K.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Hey Gavin,

Another question if you don't mind me asking... many of them just keep popping in my head.

I've been looking into some Axis Longboards. I kind of use the same technique as you do- using double bass as a filler for odd times. So, my question is... is it easier to play "speed metal" type bass patterns with them? Since that is something that I would like to learn- just as a reference point.

Cheers

--Branndon
Old 02-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin,

one more question:
I could get an Pearl DR80 Rack inclusive 9 Clamps and 4 Cymbal Arms for 140€ (very cheap.)

I saw the Rack you're using on the Photos from your Rhythmic Designs Book looks like the Dr80 rack. Is it this rack?
If not, can you (or anybody else) tell me, if I can hang 3 toms (8, 10, 12) on this Rack above the bassdrum?

Thanks!!!
David
Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 PM

Hey Gavin

Just wanted to say I really enjoy the Rhythmic Designs package.
Great to see you explain certain grooves in such detail.

Any progress on the double drop clutch?

Greetz,
Dre
Old 03-01-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi SantiBanks
Always bus powered in case there's a small interruption of power.
Thanks for clearing that up for me! Seems like I'm in the race for the M-audio (or maybe the focusrite saffire LE)

Quote:
No not yet - but he always does high quality stuff so I'm confident that it's really good.
Cheers
Gavin
Oh it certainly is! Very beautiful music. A bit like secret story but this time with an orchestrion. Its mostly big dense piano chords with a lot of vibes, glockenspiel and percussion elements and him on his jazz guitar.
Everything mechanically/solenoid controlled from digital performer. I'm sure you'll like it.

Something I thought about today; I'm a little bit familiar with polyrhythm theory (but still cant play anything else then 3 over 4).
I was thinking, is it possible to play something like 7 over 5 over 4?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
is it possible to play something like 7 over 5 over 4?
Here's an example of a very basic 7 over 5 over 4 on drums. The Snare is playing 16ths in groups of 7, a bass drum every 5 16ths, and the hi hat on quarter notes. It's not over the top, and you can play those accents in different places to get a nice groove going, also, you could play the 16ths at low tempos with only one hand, leaving you a free hand for comping/improvising.

Fox.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Kalma

I think it was a 6" A and the 8" EFX

Hi pixelbreaker

I've been looking into some Axis Longboards. I kind of use the same technique as you do- using double bass as a filler for odd times. So, my question is... is it easier to play "speed metal" type bass patterns with them?

I don't know - you should ask this question to Derek Roddy.

Hi Kalma

I saw the Rack you're using on the Photos from your Rhythmic Designs Book looks like the Dr80 rack. Is it this rack?
If not, can you (or anybody else) tell me, if I can hang 3 toms (8, 10, 12) on this Rack above the bassdrum?

No that's the DR50 in those photos. You should be able to hang those toms from a DR80 as long as you're bass drum isn't huge like 26" or 28".

Hi Drizzle

Just wanted to say I really enjoy the Rhythmic Designs package. Great to see you explain certain grooves in such detail. Any progress on the double drop clutch?

Glad you like it. I'm still thinking about the clutch.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-01-2010, 12:03 PM

Hey Gavin,

Any opinions on how crashable the K 20' Ride is?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

It's not really crash-able at all.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Hi Gavin

Do you know about the film 'Lest´s get lost' from the last period of Chet Baker?.
It´s always great to see new material from him, and even in his worst physical shape his musicality is a unique experience.

And by the way, was very funny to me the trick of the big plastic bottle as subwoofer, that you discussed on the chapter of bass drum sound in your last RD. Guess may be efficient too!. I will try it.

Greetings
Gustavo

Last edited by Gus; 03-01-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Here's an example of a very basic 7 over 5 over 4 on drums. The Snare is playing 16ths in groups of 7, a bass drum every 5 16ths, and the hi hat on quarter notes. It's not over the top, and you can play those accents in different places to get a nice groove going, also, you could play the 16ths at low tempos with only one hand, leaving you a free hand for comping/improvising.

Fox.
Thanks for that! I already had an idea that it was possible mathematically. I believe that after 35 bars of 4/4, the 3 patterns will collide right?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for that! I already had an idea that it was possible mathematically. I believe that after 35 bars of 4/4, the 3 patterns will collide right?
Yeah, but it's still not a round number, so if you were playing in a 4/4, standard structured setting, you'd have to play only part of the last groupings, at around, say bar 24, or 32 to end up evenly. Kind of what Gavin does in that double bass section of Anesthetize, where he's playing a groove in three, but in a 4/4 meter, so when he ends it, he doesn't complete one of the cycles in 3, I think.

Fox.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hi Pass.of.E.r.a.

I sympathize with your problem - I have played with a lot of musicians who don't listen. But you have to just stay with the click and ignore him. Record the gig so that you can prove to him later that it was his fault...maybe he won't even notice. Do the other people in the band notice that he goes off tempo?

Cheers
Gavin
Yes and this issue has been brought up before but he always has some excuse, such as "oh it was just a bad day" sort of thing.

We actually have recordings from every past sunday we've played (we're a new-thought church band) up untill about 3 months ago, and I know he's listened to them but their always seems to be an excuse. It is my understanding that the Music Director/Lead singer has brought this issue up with him but nothing has changed.

Oh well, this upcoming gig I was talking about earlier will be at a much bigger venue (seats several thousand) and should be quite fun anyways, thanks for taking time to respond!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 AM

g'day kalma,
i have the dr80 drum rack and with my 22" the 3 toms 8" 10" 12" fit easy as
Old 03-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but it's still not a round number, so if you were playing in a 4/4, standard structured setting, you'd have to play only part of the last groupings, at around, say bar 24, or 32 to end up evenly. Kind of what Gavin does in that double bass section of Anesthetize, where he's playing a groove in three, but in a 4/4 meter, so when he ends it, he doesn't complete one of the cycles in 3, I think.

Fox.
Or perhaps the intro to unsettled?
Poly's are interesting material to digest. Thanks for your help :)
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurlza View Post
g'day kalma,
i have the dr80 drum rack and with my 22" the 3 toms 8" 10" 12" fit easy as
Thanks for the Info Hurlza!
I think I will buy it!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
And by the way, was very funny to me the trick of the big plastic bottle as subwoofer, that you discussed on the chapter of bass drum sound in your last RD. Guess may be efficient too!. I will try it.
While we are talking about that one..

Gavin,

could you let us know what microphone you put in that bottle?

Today I use a simple T.bone SC 450 (china import stuff distributed by the German online shop Thomann under their own brand name) to record the resonant side of the bass drum which yields reasonable good results. Actually I planned to build my own "Yamaha Subkick" type of microphone by using an old 10'' tom and a similar type of loudspeaker. However, now that I became aware of the idea that you got from the sound engineer you mentioned in "Rhythmic Designs", that looks interesting to me as well. The only thing that seems a little bit ugly are these Mini-XLR connectors lavalier microphones always seems to have (usually to connect it to remote units). Did you use a converter to connect it to your recording input?

Best regards,
Christian
Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Something I thought about today; I'm a little bit familiar with polyrhythm theory (but still cant play anything else then 3 over 4).
I was thinking, is it possible to play something like 7 over 5 over 4?
Hi Santi

In Gavin´s book 'Rhythmic Perspectives' there´s a whole chapter about 'polyrhytmic theory' where you can find the examples that you asked. Adittionally with mp3s. Good stuff to work.

Greetings
Gustavo

Last edited by Gus; 03-02-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Fox.
Gavin does a nice job explaining that section of "Anesthetize" in this interview:

http://www.drumdepartment.de/content...ideo.php?id=10

Skip to 10:35.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRAK View Post
Gavin does a nice job explaining that section of "Anesthetize" in this interview:

http://www.drumdepartment.de/content...ideo.php?id=10

Skip to 10:35.
I know how that part goes, that's why I brought it up! Thanks anyway, that's a good interview.

Anyway, what's the cymbal over your Z Custom China? Because it doesn't appear on your Wikipedia article. Another prototype "Crash Bell"?, and how is it mounted?, because I can't quite figure it out (looks like the the top of that stand has an extension for that cymbal or something). Is the setup there the one you used for Rhythmic Designs, or is it even *more* current? Because I think you are using your Crash of Doom on Rhythmic Designs, yet it's no longer in the Wiki. Same with a 16" (I think) K or K Custom crash you use both in Rhythmic Designs and Modern Drummer 2008.
Thanks Gavin, a lot of the answers you've provided to the metronome, and playing to it have been real useful.

Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 03-03-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:12 AM

no worries kalma, yeah i would its a great rack no matter what people say about it being the "cheap" rack i have a kit like gavins but with hanging floor toms and it holds up no sweat