I'm a beginner, do you think it will be easy to learn this song?

Depends how much of a beginner you are. There are a few nice timing and syncopation fills. I love the one that starts at 2:01. Great song too. Good luck and if you have till xmas than you best be getting to the practice room : )

Last edited:
The guy in the video seems to be doing a good job. Just watch it until you get it down.

22 days to get 'er done ! Should be totally do-able. Especially if it's one-of-your-favorite songs. Because you already have the song locked into your head.​
Practice, practice, practice.... good luck ...​

+1, totally agree with Harry's comment (Nice version Harry!)

I would approach the song with a 16th notes feel while playing the 8th notes groove, it would help for the placement of the kick's pattern and the fills.

Go to the practice room, no time to loose, only 22 days...:))

work on that main groove over and over again. Then work on the fills one at a time. You should have no problem. This is a great song with a great groove. I have seen this song live and the one thing I can say is that Patrick (the drummer) Puts a lot of feeling into his playing. That is what you have to do to make this song what it is.

Whenever I have to learn a song in a hurry (and if I want to learn it the way it should be played), I ask Dan Brigstock to transcribe it for me. He does a great job, for a reasonable cost. Here is the link to his site, where you can request songs and download free transcriptions:

http://www.drumscore.com/index.html

Too get started, I would practice this measure over and over until you can play it in your sleep..

Get your standard 4/4 beat going with 8th note hi-hats (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &) bass drum on the 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4...standard beat.

Now count it in 16ths (1-e-&-a 2-e-&-a....etc,)

Now play this measure with 8th note hi-hats....bass on 1, snare on 2, bass drum on the 16th note before the 3 ("a 3") and also on 3, bass drum on 8th note "&" before 4 with open hi-hat, then on 4 snare drum with closed hi-hat, and hi-hat on the 8th note "&" after 4...repeat.

Play it over and over until it's nice and smooth. Use a metronome if you have to. I'm sure there's one online.

Once you get this down, learning the song will go easier.

Back