songs for practice in quintuplets

Halpas

I´m practicing quintuplets as basic groove and wanted to collect some song-examples where one can play-along to songs which include quintuplets... I cannot find a lot of songs using quintuplets, so please post some examples!

https://soundcloud.com/stimulus --> some songs with chris dave
Dwele - I´m cheatin

So, do you know more examples?

Last edited:
Do you mean groups of 5 as an ingredient, or songs in 5/4? Sting - Seven Days is one for example... or check out Anika Nilles, she does lots of things with quintuplets, also some minus drum tracks I think.

Ah, yes, I meant quintuplets. Maybe some administrator could change the topic title to "songs for practice in quintuplets"!?

Yes, Anika Nilles discusses and plays quints on Drumeo. I reference it every now and then. You'll find it on Youtube. As for specific songs, sorry, but I couldn't name you one.

OK, grumpy old guy here: Seriously, "quintuplets as basic groove"? If quintuples made for a good groove you wouldn't need to ask for examples, would you?
OK, grumpy old guy here (with the musical maturity of a child!) ...

Why not? I think it's a great idea, myself. If you can base a groove off of a triplet, then why not a fiver? In theory, cramming a coupla extra notes in there should make it dense and too busy, but it doesn't have to be that way; just know where the strokes are but don't play all of them, just like you already do with trips. With five being an odd grouping, it has a similar swing potential as threes.

I've been screwing around with this idea for a while and a band I'm playing with now has a song that gets close. I think it's in 5/16 but it could be spun another way, I'm sure.

In any case, the basic pattern looks like this:

||: R-l-R-l-r | L-r-L-r-l :||

It's basically just a 5-stroke roll (using 16th note singles) without the 16th note rest. Just tap out that sticking and notice how its feel is similar to triplets (alternating RH/LH lead).

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should; but just because something hasn't been done yet doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

No, I´m not looking for examples nor for explanations... I know how to play that stuff, but I want to go from praticing quintuplets into actually applying quintuplets within a song. There seem to be not a lot of examples, so please share and let´s collect!

So, that Emilie Nicolas example is something I appreciate. Here another slowed down version of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMtmIrpE2c

(Of course,) I have to mention The Swag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0GKuNFHwtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OItnEC0Ig

For quintuplets with a backbeat you can play along to my Blokkology Savant soundtrack. It mixes 3 over 5 and 4 over 5.

Download the app or save yourself the hassle and just listen to it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMfscE9YjOc

P.S.

I wrote a book a few years ago and it dealt with quintuplets as a pulse. I've heard it's worth checking out. NOT.

Thanks for you contribution! What´s the title of your book? Jan "Stix" Pfennig wrote some book about "Swag"-drumming, too, but I want to go deeper...

The roots - world full of sadness (album "dilla joints")
The ruff pack - apt33

Rendezvous Point - Para --> I´m practicing

Another example with some parts as quintuplets: Robert Glasper Experiment - Tell me a bedtime story

Some pieces I'm aware of:

Snarky Puppy – "Gretel"
Rendezvous Point – "Para"
Panzerballett – "Some Skunk Funk" (and many other songs by them)
Animals as Leaders – "The Brain Dance" (at 1:20)
And if you REALLY want a workout... Travis Orbin – "Project 15"

UP found new songs in quintuplets?

In fact every 5/X can be used for playing in quintuplets, like for instance "Sweatn" from Evan Marien/Dana Hawkins

Last edited:
Here's some songs in five: Song, Musician, Drummer, Notes

Tribal Gathering - The Byrds- Michael Clarke - 5 until weird edit at 1:30

The Comedians - Elvis Costello - Pete Thomas - Short intro then 5, (6 bars in 6 for chorus)

Sufi Nightmare -ESW - Adam White - 5 entire song

Statues - Something For Kate - Clint Hyndman - 5 entire song

Spin The Bottle - The Juliana Hatfield Three - Todd Philips - 5 entire song

Seven Days - Sting - Vinnie Colaiuta -5 entire song

Same Old Story - Blodwyn Pig - Ron Burg - 5 entire song

Out of the Beehive - Royal Canoe- Derek Allard/
Michael Jordan - 5 entire song

Old house - Nik Kershaw - Vinnie Colaiuta - 5 entire song

Morning Bell - Radiohead -Philip Selway - 5 entire song

Mariela’s Dream - Paquito D'Rivera - Mark Walker -5 entire song

Make A Fist - Phantogram - ??- 5 entire song

Lunar Sea - Camel - Andy Ward - long intro then 5 (fast)

Living in the Past - Jethro Tull - Clive Bunker- 5 entire song

In Her Eyes - Josh Groban - Josh Groban - 5 entire song

Losing It - Rush - Neil Peart - 5 until 2:03, then 2:45 to 3:56 repeating (6, 5), ending in 4

**I have a spreadsheet on my website with lots of other odd time songs that I update in my spare time.

Back