Can you convert a snare into a timbale? If so, how?

Diegorod

I have an old Pearl EXR snare and I want to convert it into a timbale, is it possible? I always thought a timbale was a snare tuned up really high, I just want that high timbale sound not the low one. Thanks in advance

What he said. Only thing I'd add is to use a clear head to give a more timbale-like attack. Either get yourself some timbale sticks or just flip over and use the butt ends and hit a rimshot near the edge. Nice, ringy timbale goodness. You can even get away with leaving the reso on and just crank both heads. I find you get a little more sustain.

If you want to really go for it then score yourself a cheap, used die cast rim for the batter side and just listen to those rimshots just out of there.

I used to do this with the 7x14 steel shell snare that originally came with my 90's Pearl Export kit.

Pulled off the strainer and bottom hoop. Threw a clear G2 up top and cranked the tension to the point where I questioned the lugs may be stripping. Only then did playing the intro to Sepultura's "Territory" sound right.

Honestly, it would approximate a timbale, but I think because the shell was so thick it never seemed to have the "airiness" that a true timbale gives. I'm sure if you're miking, you can probably scoop a bit of the low mids to get around that.

Back