Limb fractures/breaks and the affect on your playing

Vadge

I recently fractured my upper humerus, a little over 3 weeks ago in fact. It was substantial enough that an operation was required to insert a pin. That op was done just under two weeks after the accident (disastrous health system etc). Today, a week and a half after the operation, I return to the hospital expecting my appointment to be a review and then removal of my monstrous post-op cast, only to discover, much to the doctors' puzzlement, that the pin has managed to detach itself from where it was supposed to be, and that I will need to undergo the operation again. Dismayed, to say the least.

Obviously since the whole thing happened, my primary concern was how it may affect my ability drumwise, and obviously its impossible to say in these instances as its all circumstantial, but my worry increases the longer this goes on in terms of subsequent long-term damage, as well as the fact that they're cutting me open to mess around with my shit again. Am I worrying too much? Have many of you had similar injuries that may have affected you and your drumming? I'm pretty anxious to say the least.

I recovered from a blood clot a few years ago. I experience pain every time I play. But you can't repair vessels like bones, so I would expect you to have some pain in your leg right when you start again then it should fell somewhat normal as time passed.

I should clarify, its my left elbow that suffered, but even that in the least is reassuring, so thanks! It terrifies me to imagine life without being able to play drums properly again. As it would everyone else, of course

I have broken fingers, toes, cracked a rib, hyper extended an elbow, sprained ankles, torn an ACL, had toe surgery twice, and pulled numerous muscles. In the long run, none of these have affected my playing, minus the normal aches and pains associated with injuries and getting old, and when it gets cold. The latter just requires a warm up period, and the former doesn't come into play until after I finish playing. You will be fine.

My son,broke his humerus when he was 16.He fell out of a tree.I know a few people in the field,so I asked around.Basicly I was told,the degree of how much range of motion you recover,is directly based on the skill of the orthopedic surgeon.A broken humerus isn't like other broken bones,it's different.

The surgeon on my medical plan ,wasn't too highly reccommended,so I had to go into pocket to get one of the best I could.The original surgeon said,my son would at best have 65-70% range of motion.

The surgeon I paid for(dearly I might add) got my son,with proper surgery and PT up to 98% range of motion.He also broke the joint in 3 places.The money I spent...then,was well worth it.

So what I'm saying first of all,best of luck,but ask lots of questions of doctors,therapists,and....nurses in the field.They deal with MD's all the time,and have a pretty good bead on who is who.They are a great, and knowledgeable asset.

Steve B

I broke my right ankle in highschool and my left about five years ago. no lingering effect on my playing thankfully. played lefty with my cast on in highschool but not to the point where it made me a good lefty player. the lesson from that highschool break.....never ski stoned!!!

My son,broke his humerus when he was 16.He fell out of a tree.I know a few people in the field,so I asked around.Basicly I was told,the degree of how much range of motion you recover,is directly based on the skill of the orthopedic surgeon.A broken humerus isn't like other broken bones,it's different.

The surgeon on my medical plan ,wasn't too highly reccommended,so I had to go into pocket to get one of the best I could.The original surgeon said,my son would at best have 65-70% range of motion.

The surgeon I paid for(dearly I might add) got my son,with proper surgery and PT up to 98% range of motion.He also broke the joint in 3 places.The money I spent...then,was well worth it.

So what I'm saying first of all,best of luck,but ask lots of questions of doctors,therapists,and....nurses in the field.They deal with MD's all the time,and have a pretty good bead on who is who.They are a great, and knowledgeable asset.

Steve B

Slightly worrying. I don't have a say who my surgeon is for a myriad of reasons however, a part of the reason for the original delay (so I'm told) is that the orthopedic doctor overseeing me wanted a specific surgeon for the job who specifies in that particular area. I do not know who will be doing it this time around on Saturday. I'll be sure to ask a bit more tmrw, thanks for the advice. They really tell you very little

Wow, man. I feel for you. Terrible thing. I would think not just proper surgery, but proper post-therapy, too. Like it was stated above the humerus is not a finger or toe or ankle.

You didn't mention which arm, if it would effect your lead or other side, or what kind of music you play. Lots of variables in how it might effect your future drumming. I think of Eddie Bayers and his accident and how it effected his drumming. He worked around it though.

Hopefully you'll have everything heal just right and maybe have some soreness on damp days and that's it.

I broke my thumbs and tore the ligaments in consecutive years playing baseball. I have titanium pins in each thumb. I did this about twenty years ago now. It has had some effect on my playing. I use Regal Tip sticks because the lacquer finish helps me grip the stick easier. I also prefer maple sticks due to their reduced stick shock and I can use larger diameter sticks. The larger diameter sticks again allow me to relax my grip and reduce cramping.

Think of it this way, you can still play. In 2008 I was involved in a bad accident. As a result my left leg was crushed. Multiple surgeries later and now handicapped in that leg, I can still play. Sure I have chronic pain and no longer play double bass but am able to keep having fun. I'm now at a point where I contemplate removing my lower leg, but then again that's not the point here. Enjoy what you can do and have as much fun as you can.

three years ago on my right hand/arm I broke the distal radius completely off at the wrist and it dislocated and went through the muscle,(distal radius is the bone that runs from the elbow down and attaches to the wrist behind the thumb) fractured a wrist bone, broke the top of the ulnar head off by the wrist and dislocated my hand up into my arm. Had a plate and 7 screws put in to put me back together.

Has it affected my playing, not really. I can still do everything playing wise I did before. I do have to be careful about over doing things as it does get sore.

Biggest thing to remember is take your time getting back into playing after you are cleared by your Dr and Physical therapist if you need one. I started off just five minutes doing 1/8 notes slowly using both hands and gradually building the speed and length of time playing up. Don't push it or you will actually set yourself back.

I severely broke my right wrist around the time that I was still learning how to play and had it in a cast for a while. I have problems with it on occasions and honestly I won't be surprised if I get carpal tunnel one day but I'm not worried.

Like everyone else said, though the fracture and surgery might seem bad at the moment, you learn to push through it and continue playing, whether it's painful or not. That's what passion is all about after all, right?

Absolutely. Thank you to everyone, it is incredibly reassuring hearing mainly positive outcomes to some far worse situations, I feel for you guys! My second surgery was done a few days ago so now begins the slow road to recovery. My body is generally quite resilient and I'm already feeling a lot stronger than I probably should at this rate, but advice sincerely taken and I wont be rushing back behind the kit until I'm actually fully ready to, and even then I won't be pushing too hard, as much as I really want to right now! Will update this thread with some progress in a few months when I'm back at the throne, thanks again dudes!

When I was 14 years old I broke my wrist and hand. My dad being the rough and tough stereotype of a guy he is looked at my hand and said "it's not broken, just go put some ice on it." I went a week before my gym teacher looked at it and sent me to the office at school to be picked up and taken to the doctors. At this point my wrist looked like it had a softball inside. My hand hand already begun to heal, and to this day my most comfortable fulcrum point in my right hand is more to the side of the thumb instead of the pad.

Back